PDA

View Full Version : 2009 shifters

vqdriver
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
i haven't seen them in person yet so i can't say for sure. but judging from pictures, the new DA and campy shifters have enormous hoodtop protrusions. posters on the campyonly forum keep posting about the unsightliness of the huge DA ones, but when campy decided to go big, they really went big. the new electric DA shifters look to be quite sizable as well. they both remind me of the straight vertical barends on 90's era walmart "mtn" bikes.

Dave
09-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a PDF with a side view drawing the compares the old and new shapes of the Campy ergos. One of the big differences is the height of the brake lever pivot. The new model is quite a bit higher than the old.

Regardless of the opinions on the looks, the postings I have read from those who have used the new Campy shifters were all positive with regard to improved comfort and function. It won't take long and the looks will be considered normal.

The new shifters are supposed to be much more wear resistant than the old design with no G-springs that needed relatively frequent replacement. The new models are still serviceable and still much cheaper than Shimano.

oldguy00
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
....and still much cheaper than Shimano.

??? Campy record has always been more expensive than DA...

acorn_user
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Campagnolo levers have been much cheaper than Shimano across the board for a while. It's just all that other stuff (cassettes, chains etc) that sometimes costs more. I was able to buy my Centaur groupset for less than the cost of a 105 group when I built my bike.

Dave
09-02-2008, 07:31 AM
??? Campy record has always been more expensive than DA...

The entire posting was about shifters. Campy still has the cheapest shifters by a wide margin, despite the complete redesign for 2009.

The cost of ownership over the life of Campy products can be less, even for parts with a higher initial cost. A chain for example, might cost $5-10 more, but last a lot longer, so the cost per mile is actually less.

I just sold a pair of 2003 Record brakes for about 50% of what I paid for them in 2003. I could proabably have got more, but I offered what I felt was attractive buy-it-now pricing on E-bay.