PDA

View Full Version : Tufo Sealant Installation

D-Squared
10-28-2004, 08:36 PM
:crap:

OK so it isn't as easy as it sounds. I'm trying to put the Tufo sealant into a Tufo tubular. I have the Tufo valve extension on the tubular and have moved the valve core so that the little twisty nut on the presta valve is on the outside of my deep dish rim.

The directions say screw the Tufo tube of sealant onto the valve...but it wasn't a tight fit so I thought it would make a mess if I tried to squeeze it into the tire. So I took the valve core out and put the sealant into another bottle with a fine tip and tried to squeeze the sealant into the valve extension which by this time was without the valve core. It seems like as much as I squeezed into the tire would spurt back out at me as soon as I tried taking the bottle of sealant off the valve extension. I tried holding the bottle on the valve extension for a couple of minutes and tried turning the tire in the hopes that the sealant would flow to the opposite end of the tire but it still spurted out when I took the bottle off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

rustolium
10-28-2004, 11:22 PM
D,

I had the same issue. Now, I did not use Tufo's extenders so I say this having used my campy extenders.

Once the tire is mounted turn the wheel where the valve and extender are at the top pointing down. Remove the core from the extender.

I had the larger tube of sealant so I hope the hole is similar on either size. Now force the tube of sealant on to the extender. You can now squeez the sealant into the tire. It will run into the tire easily. Pull away the tube of sealant. You should have a minor bit of cleanup. Replace your core and pump it up.

If you have not used Tufos before, my advice would be to not put the sealant in until you absolutely have to. Carry the tube of sealant in your jersey pocket. The reason I say this is I really hated the way the tires rolled with the sealant in them. And honestly, for me once the stupid things puncture and the sealant is active they can't hold much beyond 90PSI for very long. I actually ended up putting some of that green slime in at one point as one tire would not hold at all.

The good thing about the tufos is they always get me home.

Too Tall
10-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Ditto. However, with 1/2 a small tube of sealant in the tire I sure can't tell any difference in the way they roll. I may quit prepping with sealant too as I've yet to (can't say that word or I'll jinx myself) xxxxxxxx. Infact I was mulling over how many wheels I've move my Tufo Elite roads to...I think I've had them on 3 wheelsets this yr!!! I commute on Tufo Elite roads and that is also what I use for the tandem. 1 tough tire :)

One more tip for you. I save one or two used valve cores for initial setup as I always forget and stupidly let air out when the valve core is NOT at the top causing some sealant to foul the valve. Once I've finished dorking with the wheel I install a fresh core.