PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler--- Us National Champ

davidlee
08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Go Tyler!!! Awesome finish..

johnnymossville
08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
That's great news! I wonder what kind of kit Michael Ball will come up with for the USA Champ? That might actually be kinda cool.

oldguy00
08-31-2008, 05:56 PM
awesome!

labratmatt
08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
King doper reigns again.

93legendti
08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
This thread needs a link...

http://www.velonews.com/article/82619/hamilton-edges-caldwell-to-claim-pro-road-crown

Tyler Hamilton! I thought it was the other Tyler. Wow. Interesting...

BumbleBeeDave
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
King doper reigns again.

. . . and will doubtless be tested yet again after winning this race. Unless you know something the rest of us don't, perhaps it might be appropriate to give him the credit he deserves for winning the race?

BBD

Ray
08-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Was it Tyler or his twin?

-Ray

Charles M
08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Happy for him.

That was a tough race that was damn near catered for Garmin having a 10 man (10 good men) team...

Fixed
08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
not bad for a masters racer imho
cheers

girlie
08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Happy for him.

That was a tough race that was damn near catered for Garmin having a 10 man (10 good men) team...

Yeah what up with that?
Good for him to pull that one off.
How many National Jerseys does Rock have?

pdxmech13
08-31-2008, 09:20 PM

U23
Crit
RR

BumbleBeeDave
08-31-2008, 09:35 PM
. . . because of his age, how so many people wrote him off, how many people deride him and his "twin," and because he's gonna get tested out the wazoo after this race and there will be no way the naysayers can claim he didn't win clean.

Now I just hope to the Cycling Gods that he does pass all the tests . . .

BBD

davidlee
08-31-2008, 09:38 PM
. . . because of his age, how so many people wrote him off, how many people deride him and his "twin," and because he's gonna get tested out the wazoo after this race and there will be no way the naysayers can claim he didn't win clean.

BBD

AMEN to that. I'm so happy for the guy .

Bill Bove
09-01-2008, 05:37 AM
yeah, it's not like the blood doping turned a plowhorse into a thoroughbred. the guy was good before he doped and now, hopefully he's good again clean again.

Elefantino
09-01-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm glad for Tyler. He's a genuine, nice guy.

Now ... what kind of National Champion jersey is Michael Ball going to design? This could be interesting. Tyler is racing Tour of Britain.

Climb01742
09-01-2008, 06:06 AM
small thing...in photos, tyler seems to be riding a fuji. doesn't rock ride derosas?

BumbleBeeDave
09-01-2008, 06:49 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/aug08/USPRO08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/aug08/USPRO08/USPRO082/JD_08usprorr037

I see what you mean. Not sure what's up with that . . . Those also look like de-stickered ZIPP's . . .

Tyler looks really pissed . . .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/aug08/USPRO08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/aug08/USPRO08/USPRO082/JD_08usprorr039

This one looks good, too . . .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/aug08/USPRO08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/aug08/USPRO08/USPRO082/JD_08usprorr041

BBD

paczki
09-01-2008, 07:04 AM

BBD

I'm very happy for him too. But the twin did deserve deriding -- even if the jokes are a bit stale at this point (or so my chimeric twin says).

Ray
09-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm very happy for him too. But the twin did deserve deriding -- even if the jokes are a bit stale at this point (or so my chimeric twin says).
Yeah, its stale and I should kept my mouth shut, err fingers shut. But there's something about Tyler that bugs me. I've never been particularly sanctimonious about doping - I don't care if they dope or if they don't, I'd just like a level playing field SOMEhow. But most guys who get caught either own up or quietly deny it and then pretty much shut up. There was something about Tyler's self-righteousness in the face of overwhelming evidence that caused me to lose a huge amount of respect for him and not wish him any particular good fortune. Its kind of like Nixon's rehabilitation in the public eye. Yeah, he had some really good qualities and was a brilliant guy. But nobody would have or should have let him off the hook from his defining actions just because he wasn't ALL bad.

Obviously Tyler's talented and determined as hell, with or without dope. ALL of them are. I'm sure he's deserving of the win, one way or another. But he'll never be immune from the jokes and snide remarks because of his own actions. He earned 'em.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, its stale and I should kept my mouth shut, err fingers shut. But there's something about Tyler that bugs me. I've never been particularly sanctimonious about doping - I don't care if they dope or if they don't, I'd just like a level playing field SOMEhow. But most guys who get caught either own up or quietly deny it and then pretty much shut up. There was something about Tyler's self-righteousness in the face of overwhelming evidence that caused me to lose a huge amount of respect for him and not wish him any particular good fortune. Its kind of like Nixon's rehabilitation in the public eye. Yeah, he had some really good qualities and was a brilliant guy. But nobody would have or should have let him off the hook from his defining actions just because he wasn't ALL bad.

Obviously Tyler's talented and determined as hell, with or without dope. ALL of them are. I'm sure he's deserving of the win, one way or another. But he'll never be immune from the jokes and snide remarks because of his own actions. He earned 'em.

-Ray

. . . did he do it? Yeah, I think he did. Should he have owned up to it? Yeah, he should have. But his reasons for his behavior are his own. I'm just happy to see him racing again and being successful at it. I don't think I'd go so far as to equate him with Tricky Dick, though! . . . ;)

BBD

Ray
09-01-2008, 10:54 AM
. . . did he do it? Yeah, I think he did. Should he have owned up to it? Yeah, he should have. But his reasons for his behavior are his own. I'm just happy to see him racing again and being successful at it. I don't think I'd go so far as to equate him with Tricky Dick, though! . . . ;)

BBD
Not in terms of scope or scale, but the general concept of being remembered more for one really obnoxious bad move than the several good moves he may have also made. I don't think Tyler could cause a constitutional crisis, except in terms of his own personal constitution. And that of his twin...

Damn, I did it AGAIN! :cool:

-Ray

bigbill
09-01-2008, 11:03 AM
He served his time. I am sure he was and will be tested. Good for him.

Elefantino
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Think of the good he could do if now, as the US National Champ, he admitted everything and became an anti-doping crusader.

Karin Kirk
09-01-2008, 01:39 PM
There was something about Tyler's self-righteousness in the face of overwhelming evidence that caused me to lose a huge amount of respect for him and not wish him any particular good fortune.

I'm with Ray. The whole "Believe" campaign, coupled with a fundraiser where he took people's money to help with his legal defense fund, the swearing on his dog's grave, and so on. He preyed upon people's goodwill and that's the part I can't forgive.

BumbleBeeDave
09-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm with Ray. The whole "Believe" campaign, coupled with a fundraiser where he took people's money to help with his legal defense fund, the swearing on his dog's grave, and so on. He preyed upon people's goodwill and that's the part I can't forgive.

What has always puzzled me about this whole mess with Tyler is that he had no shortage of good reputation for the good things he did for people before this all blew up. He was so well regarded before his doped-up feet of clay became so painfully apparent. He didn't really have any reason to need to dope to be a hero to so many people. Why would he eff it up like that?

The question now, though, may be if there's any way he can own up to what he did and have anyone forgive him. But Elefantino's right--if there's any time he could possibly do the most good to himself and to cycling by confessing, now is that time. Of course, this would mean he would have to give back his Olympic medal, and probably some other titles that can't be assumed to have been won "clean." It might also mean being investigated--and possibly charged--in the Puerto affair. I don't believe any actual charges were ever filed there.

So maybe his best bet at this point is to simply keep his mouth shut, say "Thank You" for the national win, and keep doing what he can to regain his reputation? But who's really to say . . . and that doesn't take away the pleasure at seeing him do something great "clean" after just about everybody--me included--thought he was washed up.

BBD

johnnymossville
09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I just read the way he won the race on velonews. That's some legendary stuff working alone and pulling the garmin rider like that to the finish.