PDA

View Full Version : I have gone over to The Dork Side ... have you?

Elefantino
08-31-2008, 12:20 PM
At RAGBRAI, I tried a CamelBak. I found that it made me drink much more often. So I bought one, intending to give it to my wife when I returned.

I did and she loved it. Made her drink more often, too. So ... I knuckled under and bought myself one yesterday.

Hello, my name is Mike. I am a roadie. I wear a CamelBak.

It's actually very handy. It makes a saddlebag superfluous. And darned if it doesn't a) keep my back cooler on hot days (like today ... whew!) and b) keep the water cool.

I always sort of secretly snickered at people who wore 'Baks on the road, and now I'm snickering at myself. But I am also feeling the power of The Dork Side.

Who else has given in?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050411/050411_darthVader_hmed2_3p.hmedium.jpg

dekindy
08-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I use mine sometimes. It is much easier to get a drink out of a Camelbak versus a water bottle when I am struggling to keep up with stronger riders. I find that I drink much more often anytime that I use it. I had to learn to pace myself because you drink about twice as much when you first start using it. I think that is mainly because you cannot see how much you are drinking. Once you use is a little while you are able to regulate how much you are consuming so you do not drink too much.

Water bottles are much easier to handle and fill so I mainly use the Camelbak when I need additional capacity to supplement my water bottles on long unsupported rides.

The only supplement to water that you can put in the Camelbak is the Elixir electrolyte replacement. Consequently, if you want to use other supplements like Gatorade, Perpetuem, HammerGel, etc., you must use a water bottle. That is a major limitation.

T-Crush
08-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Long ride (read - Century): You bet. A couple of hours or less: No.

I have a tendency to overpack a 'Bak, adding to the weight of the situation and it seems I feel it more on my back, although I'm sure that's an illusion on my part.

So on rides where I paid to be there and plan to be out there a while, I pack big and ride with it. Where a call home for the family SAG wagon isn't the end of the world, I don't.

FMS_rider
08-31-2008, 12:55 PM
At RAGBRAI, I tried a CamelBak.
And darned if it doesn't a) keep my back cooler on hot days (like today ... whew!) and b) keep the water cool.
I have a really hard time keeping cool and hydrated in the summer but never considered using a CamelBak or the like because I always heard that they make you hotter by eliminating evaporation from so much of your back. Since I am old and my bike is already dorked out I am not concerned about the way it looks (what I keep telling myself anyway).

How long did you and your water stay cool?

I don't understand why they don't make them self-cooling like the old-style canvas water bags (the canvas leaks very slowly so the water stays cool from evaporation). See http://ernielb.blogspot.com/2008/05/canvas-water-bags_8692.html

Lew

Ahneida Ride
08-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Take a peek at Deuter

DeuterUSA (http://www.deuterusa.com/)

They make nice Hydration Packs ....

Ahneida the Dorkissimo

Bud_E
08-31-2008, 01:02 PM
I've gone so far to the dark (dork) side, there's no more hope for me:

1) Went to compact crank
2) Recently obtained Camelbak
3) Recently moved my saddle forward and rotated bars up

I'm a much happier rider now but I skulk around in the Vader mask hoping nobody will recognize me.

( Actually the Camelbak only gets used when I'm on rides where there is sparse water availability - e.g. Angeles Crest Hwy )

Elefantino
08-31-2008, 01:06 PM
We did a 50-miler today in 90-degree weather with about 70 percent humidity. The water stayed cool the whole ride (until I finished it).

My back was cool, too. Weird.

FMS_rider
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Take a peek at Deuter

Ahneida the DorkissimoYou sure had me fooled at TdFL --I thought you were just having a little trouble with the beer and desserts --must have been distracted by the bar tape. ;)

FMS_rider
08-31-2008, 01:22 PM
We did a 50-miler today in 90-degree weather with about 70 percent humidity. The water stayed cool the whole ride (until I finished it).

My back was cool, too. Weird. Wow! Do you happen to have the model # etc?

Thanks in advance,
Lew

It would be nice to get the same information from AR, but presume that would cost me some frns after my previous crack. How about this: next time dinner will be on me?

Elefantino
08-31-2008, 01:32 PM
It's the "Rogue" (70 oz).

http://shop.fahrradnet24.de/images/cb_rogue_red.jpg

My wife has the smaller "Slipstream" (50 oz)

http://www.bikepedlar.co.uk/acatalog/slipstreamgrey08.jpg

FMS_rider
08-31-2008, 01:44 PM

http://www.bikepedlar.co.uk/acatalog/slipstreamgrey08.jpgThanks! Lew

dekindy
08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Take a peek at Deuter

Ahneida the Dorkissimo

Oh Great One, which model(s) for cycling? Can you still use your jersey pockets or do you put the contents that went there into the Deuter? I don't like that my Camelbak Slipstream flops around, especially when I lean ove,r but I am still able to use my jersey pockets for storage because it does not have a waist belt.

dekindy
08-31-2008, 01:54 PM

http://www.bikepedlar.co.uk/acatalog/slipstreamgrey08.jpg

I have the Slipstream in fluorescent yellow to enhance visibility.

Elefantino
08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
I have the Slipstream in fluorescent yellow to enhance visibility.
So does the wife but I couldn't find a photo of one.

dekindy
08-31-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a really hard time keeping cool and hydrated in the summer but never considered using a CamelBak or the like because I always heard that they make you hotter by eliminating evaporation from so much of your back. Since I am old and my bike is already dorked out I am not concerned about the way it looks (what I keep telling myself anyway).

How long did you and your water stay cool?

I don't understand why they don't make them self-cooling like the old-style canvas water bags (the canvas leaks very slowly so the water stays cool from evaporation). See http://ernielb.blogspot.com/2008/05/canvas-water-bags_8692.html

Lew

You can fill the Camelbak with as much ice as possible and top it off with water. Start drinking from your water bottles and let the melting ice keep your back cool and then drink the cold water when your bottles are empty.

The Camelbak insulated hose is supposed to keep the water in the hose colder. Alternatively, you can blow the water back into the Camelbak so that water does not get hot in the hose. Blowing the water back into the Camelbak means that you cannot get water right away because you have to fill up the hose first when you start drinking. I have purchased but not yet installed the insulated hose. I hope that will solve the problem because it takes twice or longer to get a drink if you blow the water back into the Camelbak.

fierte_poser
08-31-2008, 02:29 PM
I hope that will solve the problem because it takes twice or longer to get a drink if you blow the water back into the Camelbak.

That sucks.

FMS_rider
08-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh Great One, which model(s) for cycling? Can you still use your jersey pockets or do you put the contents that went there into the Deuter? I don't like that my Camelbak Slipstream flops around, especially when I lean ove,r but I am still able to use my jersey pockets for storage because it does not have a waist belt.AR sent me a PM (probably before he read the insults I hurled his way). Hopefully he won't mind my passing on what he said: he bought a Deuter Hydro lite 2.0 based on a recommendation from his lbs guru, but is waiting for 90+ deg weather to try it out. He's probably out doing what I should be doing and will provide details when he returns.

My apologies AR if that was double secret information! :argue:

Lew

davep
08-31-2008, 08:03 PM
I gave in a few years ago when I started doing brevets. Water in the CamelBack and Sustained Energy or other liquid food in the water bottles. I did a 1000k last year where we had one stretch of 80 miles with no services. A 100oz CamelBack was a necessity and barely enough.

One thing I like to do on very warm conditions. The night before a ride, fill the bladder about 25% and put in in the freezer, laying flat. In the morning you have a later of ice against your back for a while.

chuckred
08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
It may not seem like much, but the extra weight on your back will impact your arms, back and butt...

I've been trying to move as much weight back onto the bike rather than on my back - it's not noticeable for 5 hours or less, but after that you can tell.

pdmtong
08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
if you are inclined to use a hydration pack, the deuter race-X air is the only way to go...the suspension keeps lets airflow between your back and the pack. I use it occasionally on the road. For dirt, I use the standard issue Mule
but am thinking about a Ergon BD-2 when the lottery hits.

Fixed
08-31-2008, 09:02 PM
how does it taste it seems like a breading ground for mold and bacteria
imho
cheers :beer:

Louis
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Last week a buddy I ride with quite often ordered a mirror that attaches to your sunglasses.

Not sure if I be able to ride with him now.

Needs Help
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
The only supplement to water that you can put in the Camelbak is the Elixir electrolyte replacement. Consequently, if you want to use other supplements like Gatorade, Perpetuem, HammerGel, etc., you must use a water bottle. That is a major limitation.
Why is that? I use a camel back for mountain biking, and I put Heed in it.

navclbiker
08-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Gatorade/Powerade is just fine in a Camelback. Just rinse it out when you get home. :beer:

Elefantino
09-01-2008, 05:22 AM
The wife uses Heed in her CamelBak, rinses out just fine.

Fixed-bro, no problems when you rinse and dry the bladder.

I have determined one issue, though: The CamelBak obscures all my cool jerseys.

dogdriver
09-01-2008, 07:45 AM
"The only supplement to water that you can put in the Camelbak is the Elixir electrolyte replacement. Consequently, if you want to use other supplements like Gatorade, Perpetuem, HammerGel, etc., you must use a water bottle. That is a major limitation."

Another option is to double (or triple, or whatever) the concentration of the supplement in the bottles and drink enough out of the 'back to get the proper dilution in the tummy. At the E100 mountain bike race in Park City a couple years ago, the dude from Hammer Nutrition saw a bunch of us doing this and basically told us we were going to die a shrivelled death as the supplement sucked all the moisture from our tissue. Thankfully, we all survived the ride.

In an unrelated development, Hammer now not only recommends this procedure, but will sell you a little squeeze bottle in which you can make a super concentrated paste. They have not, however, told me how to get the Perpetuem into the .5 inch opening of the bottle without making my kitchen look like a cocaine factory. Great stuff, though...

Since a rant seems to be in progress, I would award a luxury vacation to the supplement company that could package the 80 gram/ hour carbs I'm supposed to eat into one bite or gulp.

Happy Labor Day, Chris

PS-- Could someone tell me how to drag quotes from other posts in italics, the way everyone else does?

PPS-- Didn't Hincapie have a Camelback or such in the TDF TTT a few years back?

xjoex
09-01-2008, 08:27 AM
I use a camelback on my mountain bike and think it is the bees knees.

Now on my road bike I don't, cause ...well...that is dorky.

On my last tour I used a camelback and water bottles I could not have carried enough water otherwise.

Commuting, boy do I dork out on that, I wear a reflective vest, commuter helmet, with two lights on the back of the bike, one on the helmet, generator light and a light&motion vega on the front.

-Joe

93legendti
09-01-2008, 08:32 AM
A few years back, Bobby Julich used one in a TdF TT, he might have used it in other TT's as well. If he's a dork, then count me in. :) I haven't used one in a while, but I loved its cooling effect. When my wife started riding, I had her using a Camelbak - it was easier for her to drink in fast group rides until she became more confident.

Elefantino
09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
A few years back, Bobby Julich used one in a TdF TT, he might have used it in other TT's as well. If he's a dork, then count me in. :) I haven't used one in a while, but I loved its cooling effect. When my wife started riding, I had her using a Camelbak - it was easier for her to drink in fast group rides until she became more confident.
Here's BJ in the '99 TdF TT.

Note the strange hump on his back and the bite valve on his chest.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1553226.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A63B4BD8367DF7F8CA 9930FDCFC4C15FBB

This, from CN in 2005:

Julich formalizes Camelbak relationship

CSC's Bobby Julich recently signed a deal with hydration system maker Camelbak, putting his use of the company's products on a formal basis. As well as continuing to use the company's RaceVest systemn, Julich will provide R&D testing, giving the company feedback on CamelBak products, and how they can best be developed to fit a road cyclists' needs.

Julich, who is getting a bit of a reputation as a free-thinker with his use of devices like Camelbaks and elliptical chainrings, surprised even Camelbak staff when he turned up at last year's Tour de France using a RaceVest in the team time trial. Camelbak's VP of marketing Sky George told bikebiz.co.uk that he "almost fell off my chair" when he saw footage of the time trial.

However, Camelbak hasn't yet reintroduced the RaceVest, which allowed riders to carry 40oz of water under their jerseys so as not to obscure all-important sponsor logos. It ceased production in 2001. "It was a great product, but one with a very small market," said George.

Julich certainly agrees that hand-free drinking is the way to go for time trials. "Anything that causes you to sit up, out of your most aerodynamic position, could cost you the race," he said. "Being able to simply sip from the hose, situated just under my chin, keeps me in the most efficient position, and not to mention keeps me hydrated."

Back-mounted drinking systems are wildly popular with mountain bikers - the tech desk has lost count of how many muddy mini-backpacks he owns - but road cyclists have always seen them as gimmicky. Maybe Julich's advocacy will change things,and we'll see enough demand for Camelbak to reintroduce the RaceVest or come up with an updated version.

93legendti
09-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's BJ in the '99 TdF TT.

Note the strange hump on his back and the bite valve on his chest.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1553226.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A63B4BD8367DF7F8CA 9930FDCFC4C15FBB

This, from CN in 2005:

Julich formalizes Camelbak relationship

CSC's Bobby Julich recently signed a deal with hydration system maker Camelbak, putting his use of the company's products on a formal basis. As well as continuing to use the company's RaceVest systemn, Julich will provide R&D testing, giving the company feedback on CamelBak products, and how they can best be developed to fit a road cyclists' needs.

Julich, who is getting a bit of a reputation as a free-thinker...

Thanks for the link. See, you're not a dork. You're a free-thinker.

Ahneida Ride
09-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Lew

The Model I have is the Hydro Lite 2.0

My LBS guru, who does both Mtn and Road claims they are more
confortable then the Camelbacks .... and the water spline is
superior too.

Let me do a Google and I'll repost.

Sorry for not replying sooner .. and not giving the full info.

Wow! Do you happen to have the model # etc?

Thanks in advance,
Lew

It would be nice to get the same information from AR, but presume that would cost me some frns after my previous crack. How about this: next time dinner will be on me?

Louis
09-01-2008, 11:45 AM
PS-- Could someone tell me how to drag quotes from other posts in italics, the way everyone else does?

By using the "Quote" button in the lower RH corner of every post and editing accordingly.

Ahneida Ride
09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Lew .... Below is an Image

http://www.deuterusa.com/img/products/lg/hydroLite2.0lg.jpg

Below is a link ...

Link to Hydro Lite (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=hydroLite2.0&sub=hydration&tert=hydro)

Also check out the larger Deuter, the 3.0. The 2.0 is the smallest.

The Deuters seem well made.

you owe me dinner !!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Elefantino
09-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the link. See, you're not a dork. You're a free-thinker.
Only if I wear the CamelBak under the jersey.

Outside? Dork. :cool:

xjoex
09-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I ride in the summer with a North Face bag, similar to the Thresher (http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10504&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11748&variationId=001)
http://cdn.thenorthface.com/customers/c566/AT0J/generated/AT0J_001_1_201x201.jpg

In the winter I use a medium deuter bag. My mountain bike buddies make fun of me since it is bigger than a regular camelback, but when I can take off layers while I am riding in the cold and not over heat it's rad.

It is similar to this Trans Alp (http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=transAlpine26SL&sub=hydration&tert=long)
http://www.deuterusa.com/img/products/md/transAlpine26SLmd.jpg

Really nice bag, I actually use it in the summer when I hit the mtn bike trails before work and neat to bring an extra thing or too.

-Joe

gdw
09-01-2008, 12:52 PM
The North Face bladder and bite valve are better than the models I've used from Camelbak. The last 3 bladders that I purchased from Camalbak leaked or were really difficult to to unscrew.

FMS_rider
09-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow, it looks like I will now not only be able to ride in mid-day during the summer without the usual ambulance rides, defibrillations etc, but will have one more way to dork-out (along with my triple, bar-end mirror, stuffed seatpack, drooped-nose SMP saddle, steeply sloped top tube, and no-logo jerseys).

With regard to the concern about extra weight on the back, I am sure it will be better than carrying two 24oz bottles in my jersey pockets --the way I often start my longer solo rides in the summer --I have a 'thing' about stopping (with one obvious exception) --the last time I stopped for water was at least 5 years ago. ('thing'=pig-headed stupidity)

Thanks to Elefantino, Ahneida R, and everyone else for making my day with the information in this thread (I should be able to buy another bike with the money I will save on ambulance rides just for starters).

Lew

Birch
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
At RAGBRAI, I tried a CamelBak. I found that it made me drink much more often. So I bought one, intending to give it to my wife when I returned.

I did and she loved it. Made her drink more often, too. So ... I knuckled under and bought myself one yesterday.

Hello, my name is Mike. I am a roadie. I wear a CamelBak.

It's actually very handy. It makes a saddlebag superfluous. And darned if it doesn't a) keep my back cooler on hot days (like today ... whew!) and b) keep the water cool.

I always sort of secretly snickered at people who wore 'Baks on the road, and now I'm snickering at myself. But I am also feeling the power of The Dork Side.

Who else has given in?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050411/050411_darthVader_hmed2_3p.hmedium.jpg

Saturday's ride outside of St. Louis... 3 waterbottles. One w/ water, two with accelerade mix. 2 of the bottles on the frame one in the jersey pocket. Add 90 degree heat + 60 hilly miles = BONK.

Monday's ride... same route. One waterbottle of concentrated accelerade, one bottle of the Hammer Nutrition powder stuff, camelbak w/ water. Happy ride. And it was warmer. :banana:

TAW
09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Elefantino]

Hello, my name is Mike. I am a roadie. I wear a CamelBak. :no:

Roadie...camelback...two words that should not be used with the conjunction "and". :D

skatzman
09-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Who else has given in?

My name is Steve and I admit to also being a dork!

I use a Camelbak on most every ride.
I use a helmet mounted rear view mirror.
I use MTB pedals on all my road (& mtb) bikes.
I have a saddle bag on all bikes.
I have a LED flashing tail light on all bikes.
I have fenders on my tandem.
I have a kickstand on my tandem.
I have a rack and trunk bag on my tandem.
I have a bell (stoker operated) on my tandem.

There is no hope of ever becoming "cool" for me.

However I do not have a horn on any of my bikes. Does that make me a "free thinker"? :D

ss-jimbo
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Another way to keep the Camelbak cold is to fill it half full, put it in the fridge, then fill it with ice just preride. I tried the freezing way once, but then it took ages to get any water through the tube. I can see freezing the water against the back, but care would have to be taken to inflate the bladder with air and keep it tube side up, to keep the drinking tube clear. I find that just the cold water and ice are good enough for 4 hours or so.

rwsaunders
09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
One of our regulars always rides with his CBack and won't go back to his bottles.

FMS_rider
09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
What hump?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-qcZ7c9Kk