PDA

View Full Version : My life long search is over

TAW
08-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Okay, maybe not life long, but certainly a few years worth. I've had my Mavic K's, which I use for regular training, for about 5 years. I noticed a while ago that the freehub doesn't spin very freely, and so I overhauled the hub, replaced the parts, even the freehub, re-lubed, and after a week or so, they were back to feeling sluggish. I tried different types of lube and nothing worked long term. I even noticed that other Mavic wheels seemed to have the same problem. They feel kind of gummy.

About a month ago on a group ride, I was talking about this to an LBS mechanic explaining that I had tried several times to get the Mavic Mineral oil they recommend, but couldn't find it anywhere, and the people I'd contacted about getting some didn't come through. He said he'd contact Mavic and get some and let me have a little. He contacted them, and the reply he got was to try sewing machine oil; it was thin, just as good as Mavic mineral oil, and about 1/4 as cheap. Put some in the freehub, and it spins great, even after a couple of weeks.

Vancouverdave
08-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Where do you apply the oil? is it on the big sticky seal behind the freehub body?

dvs cycles
08-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Okay, maybe not life long, but certainly a few years worth. I've had my Mavic K's, which I use for regular training, for about 5 years. I noticed a while ago that the freehub doesn't spin very freely, and so I overhauled the hub, replaced the parts, even the freehub, re-lubed, and after a week or so, they were back to feeling sluggish. I tried different types of lube and nothing worked long term. I even noticed that other Mavic wheels seemed to have the same problem. They feel kind of gummy.

About a month ago on a group ride, I was talking about this to an LBS mechanic explaining that I had tried several times to get the Mavic Mineral oil they recommend, but couldn't find it anywhere, and the people I'd contacted about getting some didn't come through. He said he'd contact Mavic and get some and let me have a little. He contacted them, and the reply he got was to try sewing machine oil; it was thin, just as good as Mavic mineral oil, and about 1/4 as cheap. Put some in the freehub, and it spins great, even after a couple of weeks.My LBS steered me to Pedro's Road Rage. Works great. :beer:

TAW
08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
I actually tried Pedro's Road Rage, and it's good because it's thin, but not as good as the sewing machine oil. The sewing machine oil is the best yet.

Vancouver Dave, I apply the oil in the freehub body and around the seal behind the freehub and on the top of the freehub.

Dave
08-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Where do you apply the oil? is it on the big sticky seal behind the freehub body?

There is no oiling hole. You have to remove the cassette body. While it's off, clean out the old oil, that contains worn-off metal particles. It's kind of like changing the oil in an engine. Get rid of the old, put in new.

Just about any light oil will work, including 5W-30 motor oil.

Ti Designs
08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I may be at the point where I need to throw out my freehub body and put a new one on. To be honest, I was probably there a season or two ago, I just hate working on my own bike. Gummy doesn't begin to tell what it feels like, there's about 1/8" of play from the back of the freehub which mostly goes away with the pauls engaged, and I run my chain too short for added tension and the chain still sits on the chainstay when I coast.

Sewing maching oil - yet another thing I lost in the divorce! Will snake oil do? I sell a lot of that at the shop...