PDA

View Full Version : Foot Problem Help Anyone and Everyone

Satellite
10-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

I have recently bought a new pair of shoes. My old shoes Sidi Dominators were worn out. The bottom of the shoe was dug in from the pedal. It is my belief that this allowed my foot to be able to rotate counter clock wise just a little bit enough to make it feel natural.

I finally broke down and bought some new shoes Sidi Dragon's and now I have severe foot pain; on my outside left foot between my heal and pinky toe at my cuboid (looked it up on-line). I hope my symptoms make since?

So I guess my question is really up in the air as far as what I am looking for in answers. Has anyone else experienced this and what was done about? I tried some Good Feet inserts today I bought the cheapest I could and it didn't help out any good thing I bought the cheap ones.

Thanks in advance,

Satellite

Dekonick
10-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Good orthotics are never cheap. Custom orthotics are worth every penny. How much did you pay for your frame? Wheelset? pedals? Groupo?

Do yourself a favor and get custom shoes with orthotics. It makes a world of difference.

Another possibility is to go see your local fitter and make sure your cleats are properly placed - if need be you may need LeMond wedges. I had one shim placed under my right cleat and it made a difference. Go to someone who is good...

Ken Robb
10-28-2004, 09:19 PM
or get some nice flat pedals like MKS Touring and ride in comfy regular shoes. You might be surprised how well this works.

itsalldark
10-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Rocket 7

vaxn8r
10-28-2004, 10:49 PM
I bet your cleat needs to be moved laterally. I'm sure you alligned it correctly but try moving it to outer part of the sole. Just a smidge at a time.

I'm positive it's the cleat position. You don't need orthotics.

Satellite
10-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Dekonick,

You make a great point I spent over $6,000 on my new ride. I built a brand new Moots VaMoots SL Traditional with Moots Stem/Seatpost DA 10 and Chris King/Open Pro Wheels.

I only bought the cheap inserts because I didn't think they would help. The store only offered me a store credit if I didn't like them I could apply the purchase to a different insert. So I wasn't about to start at the top and work my way down.

I am thinking about going to a real doctor and having the whole cast molding thing done. I want to enjoy my new VaMoots everything is new except the saddle I had to stick with ole reliable.

I hope to hear some more good remedies,

Satellite

Dekonick
10-29-2004, 04:23 AM
As others have suggested - you need to get orthotics from someone who does CYCLING inserts. They are different from other (running) orthotics in that they are stiff. I stongly suggest you check out rocket 7 and Dsquared. I am in love with my Dsquared shoes. (My sidi genius 4's that have custom orthotics sit and gather dust now...)

I can't say anything about Rocket 7's but there are many who swear by them. I have no reason to change from D2shoes as they have made a world of difference to me (along with proper cleat positioning)

The shoes don't cost much more than top o da line carbon soled shoes anyway, consider it as important to your $6k+ ride as a wheelset - IMHO.

Kevin
10-29-2004, 04:59 AM
I love my Rocket 7s. Worth every penney. Just make sure that the fitter knows what they are doing.

Kevin

Too Tall
10-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Begin stretching calves and achilles. If direct pressure from the underside of your foot ,using a thumb, causes the pain than it's prolly what you identified as cuboid syndrome and you can try taping a doubled over piece of moleskin directly under it...idea is to push the bone up a smidge while it's healing. Brother Vax is one smart guy but I'd actually recommend leaving your cleats alone if you have them in the same spot they were in before. As a general rule you add lift opposite the problem...not on the same side...this relieves pressure by taking up some of the weight by a portion of the foot not involved.

vaxn8r
10-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Why does he need orthotics? He's never had an issue with Sidis before and now he's having a problem only with his left foot.

Why is it always the most rare and expensive solution proposed? It's like the famous BB creak and everyone tells the guy 15 things to do before checking the bottom bracket.

trashycat
07-17-2005, 07:25 AM
I am a certified pedorthist in NY state. We do orthotics for people all over the US by using a unique non-plaster method and it produces great results, all for under $200. It is worth trying out.

Sounds like there is something going on with your peroneous brevis muscle or the tendon of the peroneous longus muscle. Do you experience this same discomfort off the bike in your regular shoes? Is the discomfort localized to the lateral border of your foot or do you also experience discomfort on the bottom of the foot and/or muscle soreness up the lateral side of that lower leg up to the back of the knee area?

www.footdynamics.com

Bud
05-31-2007, 01:18 PM
This thread is beginning to look like a billboard...