PDA

View Full Version : Shorts

dsimon
10-28-2004, 01:20 PM
ok fellow readers I need some help im debating on whether or not a pair of assos is worth the money can you help me? Currently im ridding in a pair of exte undo with leather shamy but was wondering if the assos are really as comftarble as they say or that there may be a better alternative thanks everyone :)

OldDog
10-28-2004, 01:42 PM
for my a s s o s, a s s o s is nicesos

Birch Hill
10-28-2004, 01:44 PM
There's nothing better -

bostondrunk
10-28-2004, 02:26 PM
There's nothing better -

than Nashbar bibs, and Voler is a close second. Great price and quality!!! You'll have enough money left over for a several cases of beer!!!

Climb01742
10-28-2004, 02:34 PM
IMO, assos is overpriced. they're good, no doubt about it, but are they twice or three times as good as other shorts? my butt just doesn't merit shorts that costly.

Spinner
10-28-2004, 02:52 PM
i agree with climb. i purchased a pair of assos bibs last year and while it is true that they are comfortable, if i wore them in a blind test i don't believe that i would be able to tell the difference between them and my $50 shorts from colorado cyclist.

Tom
10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Because the ones I like cost half as much. I've come to like Santinis. Minimal and dry. Like my humor. Ho ho!

Ken Robb
10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Castelli Progetos are the best I have tried--never had Assos---Performance work well too but they feel thicker.

coylifut
10-28-2004, 03:11 PM
I some assos bibs and actually like my Girodana team ware just as well. I don't think they are worth the money.

Russ
10-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Because the ones I like cost half as much. I've come to like Santinis. Minimal and dry. Like my humor. Ho ho!

Tell the truth now. Do you like the Santini because they were free or because they are blue... :p

vaxn8r
10-28-2004, 06:13 PM
There's really nothing unique or specail about Assos, except that there are way too many middlemen taking a piece of the pie. That's the reason they are so outrageously priced. It's good stuff, but the price has nothing to do with quality.

shinomaster
10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Twist Gel bibs rule!!! Better than the Exte ondo bibs that they replaced. Also they are on sale at many places now..

alembical
10-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Russ and Tom,
That is one problem with Shorts as compared to bibs, they are tough to get to fit right; but as a general rule, if anything is turning blue, your shorts are too tight. :rolleyes:

Alembical

Edited to add: oh my bad, I mis-read the post. You mean the shorts are blue. I understand now. :banana:

oracle
10-28-2004, 06:28 PM
riding au naturel, with liberaly applied vaseline to the saddle is truly the way. it you cant do that, then the assos bibs are tres comfortable. (pour moi)

oracle

p.s. for me it's mostly about how they fit.

Kevin
10-28-2004, 07:03 PM
I vote for Castellis. Very comfortable. Fairly durable.

Kevin

Tom
10-28-2004, 08:03 PM
And thanks, Russ, because I probably wouldn't have tried those out if you didn't come through town like Santa Claus to all us good little children. Seriously, though, they are a lot better than the Pearl Izumis I had thought were as good as I really needed.

Dekonick
10-28-2004, 08:23 PM
OK - given a choice:

Nashbar V.S. CC V.S. Performance -

who makes the better short? Bib?

I like Cdale shorts and bibs - but am looking for something a little more affordable cuz a little one is gonna take all my $$$ -

Choices! :D

CNY rider
10-28-2004, 09:04 PM
I haven't tried CC shorts yet but I greatly prefer Performance over Nashbar. The Nashbar shorts I have had felt cheap, and wore out rapidly (sorry I can't remember the model/style). I think Perf offers good quality at a very reasonable price. I just picked up their Ultimate bibs on sale after they were recommended in another thread here. Very satisfied so far.

shaq-d
10-28-2004, 09:33 PM
having run through louis garneau in the $30 and $100 range, and $100 pearl izumis, cheap MEC shorts... i've recently acquired giordana shorts on sale for $50 (original $100), and they are by far the best shorts i've ever had. in fact i've resolved to never buy LG or PI or MEC shorts ever again.

the second i put on the giordana's i felt comfortable. wow. i'm a huge new fan of giordana now. even got their socks. lol.

sd

itsalldark
10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Most of these posts are from people who don't ride far enough to notice the difference or just plain out don't want to spend the money. Assos shorts have a multilayered pad so pressure is dispursed over a larger area and pressure is releived because of the different levels. They will also last twice as long as any other short out there. Fit is far and away better then any thing else. are they expensive---you bet. If you buy a pair--thats the pair you will be looking for every time you ride!!!!! You won't want to wear anything else.

Spinner
10-28-2004, 09:58 PM
i've ridden assos bibs and various other in numerous rides exceeding 100 miles and i stand by my earlier post... there ain't much, if any difference.

BillyBear
10-28-2004, 10:27 PM
love my Assos bibs...don't wear anything else...comfort is unsurpassed for me...pay for them by wearing cheap, boring, single color, performance jerseys...my *** thanks me and forgives my fashion and style ignorance and apathy.

Louis
10-28-2004, 10:55 PM
CSI,

Believe it or not, I too have about 6 leather chamois shorts in the closet, but I don’t use them that much anymore. The good synthetics are just as good, if not better.

I’ve been quite happy with my Voler shorts. Their best deal is on the model with the IMBA logo on the side – same chamois as the others, but lower price. They are my first recommendation to friends who ask about that type of stuff. Super quality and comfort at reasonable prices.

I also bought two of the Performance “Ultra Short” shorts when they had a “buy one, get the second at half price” deal and that too worked well in 5hr+ rides this summer. I haven’t had the Ultra shorts long enough to see how well they’ll do over time.

Until Assos figures out how to have the shorts do part of the pedaling there’s no way I’m going to spend that kind of money on their stuff.

Louis

rustolium
10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
All I can say is that whenever I know I am going to be in the saddle a long time or I just want to ensure my sit bones are going to be happy there is no question. I pull out a pair of assos.

I find it very hard to believe that someone could not tell the differnce in these bibs from another pair of bibs. Now, we can argue all day long as to whether they are worth the price, but there is clearly a difference.

For my rear, there is no better short. Now this could be different for other rears I am sure.

You will only know if you try. I have a lot of different bibs and again, the Assos FI-13 are the ones I goto when I want the good stuff. They look and feel the best.

musgravecycles
10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Thought I'd put my .02 cents worth it. My opinion is that it really depends on each individuals 'shape' and saddle choice. Each one of us is made different down there and that applies not only to saddle choices but also shorts.

I use/have used Assos, Castelli, Performance, Cannondale, and Campagnolo bibs. I used Cannondale shorts for a long time in my mountain biking days, I think they are pretty good, way better than performance/CC/Nashbar alternatives. Currently I have Assos, Castelli and Campagnolo and my preference depends on which saddle I am using that particular day. The Fi-13 Assos are absolutely wonderful, but I don't think that they are worth the $$, niether are the castelli's. I really like the Campagnolo Bibs ALOT for my current Arione saddle. I have wanted to try DeMarchi Countour Bibs I have heard they are comparable to the assos at a much better price point.

Again, what's comfortable for me may not be as such for you, everyone is gonig to be different. Thanks for reading.

Tailwinds

dsimon
10-28-2004, 11:45 PM
thank you for your replies I currently use exte undo's bibs with a sinthetic leather shamy and love the way they feel also i have a pair of castelli's vario thick pad but they dont seem to last long. what do i mean well lets just say i dont wash anything by hand after its been on my bottom its going in the washing machine. i was just curios if the assos were werth the money i think im going to try the demarchi, as for those other companies. performance and nash. they suck i have tried every thing that they offer and my a## hurt or they fell apart. my wife uses voler and likes them but i might just try the demarchi's ... Thank you every one for your feed back

coylifut
10-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Most of these posts are from people who don't ride far enough to notice the difference or just plain out don't want to spend the money. Assos shorts have a multilayered pad so pressure is dispursed over a larger area and pressure is releived because of the different levels. They will also last twice as long as any other short out there. Fit is far and away better then any thing else. are they expensive---you bet. If you buy a pair--thats the pair you will be looking for every time you ride!!!!! You won't want to wear anything else.

It's my contention that the fewer the miles you do, the more you feel the difference. My *ss is so conditioned I don't. I will have to agree, my assos bibs have held up quite nicely.

Dekonick
10-29-2004, 04:35 AM
I would rather spend the $$ on shoes than bibs. My feet used to hurt like hell on (to me) long rides. Now 3+ hours is just fine!

My arse doesnt seem to care too much (thus far) as long as the shorts/bibs are clean and riding on a Brooks...

The argument that Assos bibs are worth every penny could be true - perhaps one day I might be nice enough to give my arse a test ride with 'em. Until then, the significant other has put a stop on my cycling spending sooo... its Cdale bibs for me for awhile (they aren't cheap either...but try justifying $200 for a pair of bibs after you just bought new ergo's! Heh - I guess my Brooks makes up for these cheapo bibs eh? That and ButtButtr.... :butt: )

William
10-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Now that we have all the different brands on the table that everyone likes, let me ask another question. How do they size up? Meaning, a large in one brand might really be a med in another. For example; I tried to put on a Decent jersey in my size....uh no way I was getting that over my head. Maybe it will fit my wife....salesman: "Oh yeah, they size them small". :confused: THEN WHY CALL IT AN EXTRA-LARGE???

NE-way, do you find the various brand sizing matches general standards of sm, MD, LG, etc...? Or do they size smaller or larger?

William :)

Birddog
10-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I have both Assos Campionissimo and Performance Elite bibs. I like them both, but conditions and miles dictate which I wear. If I'm going long (80 miles or more) I prefer the Assos, esp if it's hot. They seem to channel the moisture better, and keep me from chafing. OTOH, I prefer the Performance when I'm riding the bike with the "Flow" saddle. I was all set to toss the "Flow" but one day I rode it with my performance bibs, voila', it was great. In that particular case, the Performance chamois gave me the needed padding where the saddle edge rubbed, I guess it might be just a tad thicker,wider or both. I love the Performance bibs for price, I think I only paid about $40 for the last set of Elites. The much higher priced Assos are worth it though when I'm going to be out there for awhile. I have several friends that have the Assos F1.13 and they seem to think they are worth it, I haven't tried them yet. I wear a Large in Assos and a Med in Performance.

Birddog

Spinner
10-29-2004, 10:00 AM
as noted by others, comfort is a combination of the saddle and shorts. i've been riding a regal saddle for 14+ years and i'm comfortable on them regardless of shorts. heck, the regal feels fine to me even on occassional rides with non-biking clothes.

dirtdigger88
10-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Did i miss something or did no one mention PI? Personally, that is all I wear. I can't wear bibs though. I am narrow in the waist and tall. To get bibs that fit in the waist they are too short and tend to ride up on me. To get them not to ride up, the are too baggy. :crap: Oh well.

Ps. PI makes great shorts

Jason

vaxn8r
10-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Did i miss something or did no one mention PI? Personally, that is all I wear. I can't wear bibs though. I am narrow in the waist and tall. To get bibs that fit in the waist they are too short and tend to ride up on me. To get them not to ride up, the are too baggy. :crap: Oh well.

Ps. PI makes great shorts

Jason
You mean you didn't get the notice that Pearlizumi sucks? Apparently even worse than Shimano, if that's possible.

dirtdigger88
10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
At least I ride a Serotta. Considering that I love my DA parts and I love my PI clothes- I guess the only reason anyone speaks to me is the fact that I ride a Serotta. I also own two large trucks/suvs that suck down gas, I kill baby seals to wear as hats, and I once peed on a homeless person. :p

Start flaming me. :banana:

Jason

Climb01742
10-29-2004, 11:08 AM
hey, i have a bunch of PI shorts that are about 5-6 years old that i LOVE but they (of course) stopped making them. old ones: great. new ones: :crap:

dirtdigger88
10-29-2004, 11:13 AM
what is wrong with the micro sensors? They may be a bit pricey- but my butt is worth it.

Jason

Climb01742
10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
i just found the old chamios (or whatever it is/was) more comfy. i just got some boure shorts that i've heard are good.

Ozz
10-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I've worn PI, Louis Garneau, Descent, Santini, and Assos...and frainkly, the only pair that really bothered me were the Assos. I have the "Half-short" with the "diaper" style chamois...

Favorites were the Descents...now about 10 years old and pretty much worn out...just used for spinning classes now

LG - first pair of bibs...they are OK, lost a big chunk out the side of them going down awhile back.

Santini - pretty new, so undecided at moment, but promising...

PI - older Ultrasensor shorts...synthetic chamois is comfy when drenched is assos chamois cream....

I would not mind trying the Assos F1.13, but I won't spend that kind of $$ on some shorts....

I think finding a saddle that fits is more important than fancy shorts.

Andreu
10-29-2004, 11:39 AM
...comical when people complain about the price of shorts. I spent nearly $5000 on a bike, I sometimes spend up to 8 hours a day on it - I want some level of comfort. Assos (amongst others) are well worth the money (well they are here in Europe where they are probably a damn site cheaper than USA).
A

Bittersweet
10-29-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't think anyone has suggested Boure yet in this thread. (Sorry if they have.) I especially bring them to people's attention if they are normally hard to fit and can't get bibs they like (Dirtdigger's post). I'm 6'5" and 167lbs. I'm very particular about leg length and chamois thickness. My current Boure favorites are Elite lycra with the Pro version chamois which is very minimal, but the real point is that anything is possible based on your preferences. Worried about them not fitting once you've received them? Don't as you just call them back up and talk through any changes, send 'em back and they make another pair at no cost. They make great long sleeve jerseys as well which is often another problem area for people who are short or tall. Fully stretched out my jersey is trim fitting yet the sleeve stops right at the break in the wrist. No size 7 from Italy ever does that for my preying mantis physique. Zinn gets his clothes here.

They also make standard sizes of course for those with who are less anatomically challenged.

The experience is like going to a great custom frame builder who cares about the way you want things.

www.boure.com

Too Tall
10-29-2004, 01:12 PM
OK, here is a revelation (mine). Now that I'm NOT riding a bazillion miles and just training for racing almost anything feels OK! I came back from Colorado with a set of relatively inexpensive bibs and top made by Voler for USAcycling and to be honest are the MOST comfortable bibs I've ever worn. Woops, all my other bibs are ASSOS. Horrors.

kevininMD
10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
For me, the Assos shorts don't hug my upper inside thighs well enough when riding to avoid folding/puckering and therefore chafing. The one pair I have, which have not been worm too much, have already developed a small hole in the back at one of the seams.

M_A_Martin
10-29-2004, 02:04 PM
I love Voler men's peleton shorts...enough that I've worn a pair long enough that they shouldn't be worn any more (see through).

I do have a few more new favorites:
Santini Bibs! Thanks Russ! Those are my first bibs and first Santinis. Like butter! I love them!

Craft shorts with the elastic chamois. Very Very comfortable.

You should do a search. The shorts topic has been ground over before...very finely.

MartyE
10-29-2004, 02:18 PM
I've been wearing Etxe-Ondo and find them comfortable, will probably try
the Santini twist next as the Exte is getting difficult to find.
One caveat tho, Etxe run REALLY small, as in size up 2 sizes
for them to fit.

Marty

I'm Not Worthy!
10-29-2004, 04:26 PM
I've always worn shorts and never tried a pair of bibs. So, perhaps an obvious answer to some, but why bibs? What's the advantage?

dsimon
10-29-2004, 04:41 PM
bibs are more comfterble and they dont roll down especially for chubby guys

kelmeboyAZ
10-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Assos F1 Mille are the most a$$-friendly orange chamois I've ever ridden, and I've ridden PI 3D, Castelli Progetto, Hincapie, Santini...... no comparison. I'd know them in a blind test - as long as my cheeks could feel that sweet shamwah with a bit o' the Assos shamwah cream on them.!

hypnos
10-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Last year Russ gave me my first pair of bibs.... Santini Twist Gel. The bibs are way more comfortable than shorts. I'll never go back.