PDA

View Full Version : Ksyrium SL or Dura Ace wheels

gregrams
08-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Currently on the Mavic about 3 plus years. Keep them on the new bike and save $$ or go DA? :rolleyes:

gone
08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Currently on the Mavic about 3 plus years. Keep them on the new bike and save $$ or go DA? :rolleyes:
If you're going pre-builts go DA.

I've got two sets of Ksyrium SL's. Frankly, they suck. The ride is harsh, they're not particularly aero and yet are a handful in crosswinds. Both of the rear rims have cracked, one of them twice and I'm no clydesdale (180 lbs).

I've got thousands of miles on them and have several other wheelsets. You can do better IMHO.

johnnymossville
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I just bought the Dura-Ace wheels myself so I guess there's my answer to those choices. :)

johnnymossville
08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Greg, actually, now that I think about it, it depends on your weight. From what I've learned recently, those mavics might be better for a slightly heavier rider while the DA wheels might be better suited to a lighter rider. The DA wheels have a bit more flex in them, while the Mavics are stiff. As far as I know.

CNY rider
08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a lightweight running DA wheels with Hutchinson tubeless tires.
I love them and many other people apparently do as well given the responses to a recent thread.

gregrams
08-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Listen, I am not fat.
I used to play football back in the day. I have never been nor will I ever be under 230 lbs. I am 6'4" currently at 245 lbs. (not bad when you remember that I was 230 in college during the 70's) :D
So perhaps I keep my Ksyriums and just bring them over and save a few $$$

Dave B
08-29-2008, 12:42 PM
dude i am big and use ksyriums for road and cross. I love em.

keepin it real!

johnnymossville
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Greg, Yep. Mavics then. At your size you definitely aren't fat, but with what I suspect your wattage output can be, you need something a bit more stout than the DA's. Maybe you can find someone to let you test ride some?

Pete Serotta
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Stay with the Mavic....They are good riding (yes SMILEY and I disagree on this) :D AND they are bullet proof

R2D2
08-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Stay with the Mavic....They are good riding (yes SMILEY and I disagree on this) :D AND they are bullet proof

And MAVICS are fairly easy to work on and parts are available when needed.

gregrams
08-29-2008, 02:20 PM
We stay with the Mavics :beer:

bagochips3
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I just got back from chatting with Gravy Wheels about some new wheels for myself. I asked about the DA 7850 SL, but he said not a good choice for my weight (220).

Eric

dekindy
08-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I would suggest consulting a wheel builder about the type of riding that you do, your weight, etc. and get their recommendations.

Pro Wheel Builder offers custom, semi-custom, and stock wheels so hopefully you could get an unbiased opinion. Maybe others can suggest more sources that you could get this type of opinion. At your weight I would think 36-spoke rear and 32-spoke front Deep V's or Mavic CXP33's would be the only type wheels you should consider. Take it from a mere 200 pound rider that has had lesser hubs and rims break and I am not hard on wheels or that powerful a rider. I hope this helps.

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/

Jeff N.
08-29-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm a card-carryin' Clyde and I've got bikes with both Ksyrium SSC SL's, and DA 7801SL's. I've had no problems with either, but a bud of mine ( not a Clyde) had a 7800 rear wheel crack at 3 different locations around the rim, at spoke sites. I've NEVER seen any rim crack like that.
That said, the newer 7850's are as sweet as can be! Worth every penny, IMO.

oldguy00
08-30-2008, 05:31 AM
I use Ksyriums, but I ride tubies. If they made the newer scandium DA wheels in tubular, I'd be using them instead.
But for now, Ksyriums are doing the trick.