PDA

View Full Version : Best Dual Light System?

1happygirl
08-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey you lads and ladies have never steered me wrong (so far)so....

After searching the forum,

needing to know the best dual light system for my bike.

Am seeing the shorter days approaching and don't want to be caught out without lights. I would like to start adding more miles. I just added a rack and panniers to the bike. Lights will finally (hopefully) make my bike complete.

I want to say this forum is great and very inspirational. After a long layoff, back on the bike, working out and losing weight.

Thanks again,

1 happy girl

R2D2
08-29-2008, 04:04 AM
What do you mean by dual lights? Front/rear?
Do you have budget in mind?
Check out for a good overview on lighting:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm

nohappen
08-29-2008, 04:09 AM
want to say this forum is great and very inspirational. After a long layoff, back on the bike, working out and losing weight.

1happygirl
08-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. The peter white? site is a bit overwhelming.
Don't want to say money is no object, but will spend $ for something lightweight that I won't be afraid and crack my noggin on the street (or potholes).

By dual lighting I think (this is the first time I've messed with lighting) dual lights up front and a rear tailight also.

thanks again. any specific brands/models you can recommend?

R2D2
08-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Yes there's a lot of info. But it is complete from almost all perspectives.
Just wade thru it.
There are basically three systems for energy:
Everyday rechargable batteries. Cheapest but least bright.) $
Special (manufacturer specific) batteries. Very bright. $$
Generators. Always on and bright. $$$

I run Schimdt Dynahub.
No batteries to ever worry about.
Well made. German engineering.
BUT it is not inexpensive.
It will last a lifetime.
Shimano has a Nexus product line based on the same idea.
The front hub is a generator.

I'm sure others can add more.

Hope this helps...........

palincss
08-29-2008, 05:38 AM
If you find all the information on Peter White's site overwhelming, let's cut to the chase. Here http://www.roadbikerider.com/producttests.htm is a review by RoadBikeRider of perhaps the two best currently available LED lights. With either of these, you don't need a dual-light system. They come to full power at walking speed, and they're plenty bright. Here's what the beams look like: http://peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

Both lights will work with the Schmidt and the Shimano generator hubs. The Schmidt is nicer looking, longer lasting, has less resistance and costs more. In either case, you need to have a wheel built around the hub. There are plenty of choices re: rims, number of spokes, etc., as with any wheel, and you would choose here the same way you would as if the hub were just an ordinary hub and not a generator.

Besides choosing a light and a hub, you need to mount the lamp, and run the wire from the lamp to the hub. Probably the easiest setup is to mount the lamp to a front rack. The specifics here depend entirely on the bike you've got. Running the wire down to the hub is trivial: run it along (or wind it around) the fork blade, and zip-tie it in place.

xjoex
08-29-2008, 07:12 AM
I commute with A Light and Motion Vega on the front.
http://bp2.blogger.com/_Jz4f840sc_c/R8LBMfYBCBI/AAAAAAAAAmI/CXxvyvMkBfo/s400/100_0747.jpg (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/02/review-light-and-motion-vega.html)

It is a great light, very bright, plus has a blinking mode. It is rechargeable and runs 1:45 on high, or 20 hours on blink. Here are some more pics and a little review. (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/02/review-light-and-motion-vega.html)

I use a planet bike superflash and blackburn mars 2.0 on the rear.

-Joe

dekindy
08-29-2008, 07:55 AM
I have a bicycling favorites section and a lighting subsection under that with many URL's saved and read this forum regularly so I have looked at a lot of lights.

Do a search on Fenix and read about the flashlight alternative using fishblock mounts. It is a very economical alternative that gives you lots of light and IMHO will take care of most recreational cyclists needs. Two flashlights and mounts, and batteries and a charger would total $180 or less. You can get all the links in the Fenix threads. Edit: Oops, I forgot what forum I am on. Go to bikeforums.net and look under the Electronics, Lighting, and Gadgets forum for extensive reading on this application. Instead of doing a search, you could do a search on my username, dekindy, and limit it to that forum, or do a search on the username Varuscelli. He is the resident expert on these flashlights, mounts, and chargers.

If you want a bicycling specific light, Dinotte is hard to beat. I believe there best value package to be the dual headlight and tail light combination with Li-ion batteries at $419. I would recommend getting the standard/wide lens combination at $424.
http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=909511744&Count2=826652169

There are many more nice lights but these two options are very high quality and Dinotte's service is second to none so you cannot go wrong with either of these choices. A bicycling friend of mine had allocated $400 to replace his old lights. After seeing my Fenix he purchased two, one for the bars and one for the helmet, paid less than half what he budgeted, and is pleased with his purchase.

Birddog
08-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Start here. http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=428539454&Count2=345679879

You just can't go wrong with any DiNotte stuff, and their customer service is tops. They also provide upgrade opportunities when they come out with bigger and better products. Their taillight gets great reviews too, but if you want a low cost option, the Planet Bike Superflash is a favorite.

Birddog

Rover-Rich
08-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Well, I have a Lights in Motion ARC Li Ion, ridiculously bright and probably overkill, but works great for MTBing in the woods.

I'm assuming that you want a dual light system to have a flood and spot beam. If that's the case then get a light with a wide flood pattern on your handlebars and a smaller light for your helmet. I'm looking to get a Joystick (http://exposurelightsusa.com/) as a headlight to use with a flood. I've also used a front generator hub but find the light not nearly as bright as the newer LED lights.

As far as rear tailights, I have a Dinotte (http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=9945094&Count2=927085518&ProductID=5&Target=products.asp) rear and it is a torch! No way someone can't see you with this light unless they are blind or not looking. I'm most afraid of getting hit from behind by someone who can't see me so overkill here IMHO is a must. I've not tried the DiNotte headlights but if they are as bright as the rear, you'll do fine.

Finally, I tried a Knog 605 front headlight and was disappointed don't bother....

Hope this helps. :beer:

RR

1happygirl
08-29-2008, 08:00 AM
thanks again. i was seriously considering the dinotte system.

forgive my lack of knowledge on the generator hubs. don't think i can generate enough energy to make these worthwhile, even though i seriously think not messing with batteries is the best.

led vs hid. don't get this part yet but working on it.

appreciated the info given so far. it has really helped and lessened my learning curve.

dekindy
08-29-2008, 08:17 AM
http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/category/led-light-shootout/

Go here for a review of most of the high quality lights you should consider. I have 21 other URL's that are mostly light manufacturers that I can send you if you want. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you a file.

Birddog
08-29-2008, 08:35 AM
led vs hid. don't get this part yet but working on it.

LED, don't look back, they are NOW and the future! The DiNotte smart charger and two battery system is very simple and compact.
I have the DiNotte 200L and am very pleased with it's performance. When the battery is low, it gives you a little strobe warning. When testing it, I found that switching from high beam to medium beam gave me about a 1 hrs worth of time, plenty to get home or whatever, just not quite so bright. I also could have been packing an extra battery, they are pretty small. I now know my run times and just go with that. Whatever system you go with, I'd recommend Li-Ion batteries and LED as absolutes. Just my opinion.

Birddog

R2D2
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
thanks again. i was seriously considering the dinotte system.

forgive my lack of knowledge on the generator hubs. don't think i can generate enough energy to make these worthwhile, even though i seriously think not messing with batteries is the best.

No need to apollogize.
They don't take much effort. At 10 MPH the push and pull of the magnets in the hub cancel each other out.
But if your only need lights for a couple hours then rechargable is probably best for you.
DiNotte seem to be great.

Dynahubs really excell on Brevet's and ultra-distance when you may be riding all night, away from a power source etc.........
With some of new LED's they are virtually no maintenance for life.

But whatever you pick make sure you can see as well as be seen.

sychan
08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Put a Superflash on the back of your bike, or else run a velcro strip through the vents on the back of your helmet and hang the superflash off that. Its inexpensive and does a great job.

Then spend the money up front - I did some commuting last night with a twofish lockblock and an LED flashlight (like the Fenix lights that people have been steering you toward) on the handlebar and it worked really well. The best combo for this might be a Fenix on the handlebars to light the road in front of you, and a Fenix mounted on your helmet to light up whatever you're looking at (sometimes its handy to be able to put some light on something you aren't steering towards - like a driver coming at you from the side, or a streetsign you want to see, but not plow into).

A Fenix on a lockblock is way brighter than most of your off the shelf LED handlebar mounted lights. And for the price of a Dinotte front and rear combo, you could get this: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=312

Erik.Lazdins
08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I've got nearly 500 cycles on my NMH ARC. I'd buy another - customer service is top notch

but....

as others have said LED is now poised to overtake nearly all HID. L&M comes out with theirs any day now.

They will be expensive so a bargain hunter could look for a HID on sale

good luck in your search and I hope you are very pleased with your new light!

E

KevinK
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I personally will not commute with a generator front light. unless the technology has changed without me knowing, everytime you stop, the front light goes out. When stopped at an interstection (or progressing slowly through it), I really want to be seen by oncoming cars.

I've gone through several different sbattery systems, and the one I like the best is the Blackburn X8 system ($160-ish). It has dual headlights (flood and beam) and each light has three outputs plus a flash mode. Each light can be operated independently of the other. On darkened roads and paths, I use both of the lights in high mode, when on busy streets I switch the flood to flash mode and keep the spot on high. The battery is a lithium ion type that I keep in a cut down water bottle, and the included charger is a smart charger. It will fully charge the battery in four hours and needs no attention (the directions even recommend keeping the battery plugged in when not in use). I commute 11.5 miles each way, and one charge lasts me two round trip commutes.

For my tail light, I use two blinkies, one attached to my seat post and one attached to my pannier. I use two just in case one burns out. I am a proponent of redundant lighting for serious commuting.

Kevin

Kirk007
08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
for those with Dinotte: AA rechargeable vs. Lithium? Is there enough light from a medium setting or high on one and medium so that you can get more than 2 hours run time on road rides?

Do you find 1 or 2 or the 200L sufficient (noting that P. White opines that 2 of the older 5W dinottes were insufficient in his opinion)?

Grazie!

Charles M
08-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I LIKE Knog...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/knog/knog08head.jpg

Small and easy to use and lite and a very good beam...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/knog/knog08gatorset.jpg

For a tail lite I just use a little Frog...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/knog/knog08colors.jpg

But they have far larger set ups for rear if you really need a torch.

palincss
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, I have a Lights in Motion ARC Li Ion, ridiculously bright and probably overkill, but works great for MTBing in the woods.

Did the OP ask about MTBing in the woods at night? If so, I sure don't recall it. For road riding or commuting, lights suitable for nighttime MTBing would be ridiculous overkill.

dekindy
08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
for those with Dinotte: AA rechargeable vs. Lithium? Is there enough light from a medium setting or high on one and medium so that you can get more than 2 hours run time on road rides?

Do you find 1 or 2 or the 200L sufficient (noting that P. White opines that 2 of the older 5W dinottes were insufficient in his opinion)?

Grazie!

Insufficient for what? I have seen two of the old 120L's and they were sufficient for road cycling of any kind unless you are talking about doing 40 mph descents at night. They were 3 watts if I remember correctly.

Regarding the Fenix, you do not need 3. One may be sufficient and two at the most are needed. I would recommend the AA battery versions. I get 2 hours runtime on turbo in 30 degree winter night riding situations using Duracell 2650's. You can barely discern the difference between turbo and high so you can get much longer runtimes if needed, especially if you have two.

dekindy
08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
The Knog Frogs are very bright and I use them. However they are also very directional so it is hard to align it to get the proper angle if you are wearing it on the back of your helmet. I prefer this light for that application because it is self leveling. It does get the light higher up and is a good compliment to a PBSF or Mars 2.0 or 3.0 that I use mounted to the seat post or seat bag or both.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3010.html

1happygirl
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Wow! thanks guys. I really am getting good advice and my info time (which I dont have a lot of ) has been shortened. I see I have a little bit more reading to do.
LED looks like the way to go. Rechargable batteries for me, definitely a must!
I don't want to mess with alkaline every couple days/week. I want to research the generators and hubs, but if I have to stop for extended period of time, seems like this is a no go. I'm also not sure about having the dedicated wheel and the weight etc either for this option. Usually I'd say I'd go with both and try it out, but I'm getting overloaded and want to save for some other bicycle related items that I need getting back into cycling. With winter coming on, I will want to get some other stuff.

This is definitely awesome info and I'm very appreciative of ya'lls time and knowledge.
Kinda hard without seeing the light in action, but I'm (and my peeps) are assuming any of these I pick not only are extremely bright (so the cars wont get me) but, will be so bright I'll be able to see the road far ahead and not crash and burn.

I'm also guessing I can save time and take it to the shop for a $ to have the system mounted.

PS How easy are these to take off and on ? (thinking theft and possible change in bikes once I get in better shape)

1happygirl
08-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Did the OP ask about MTBing in the woods at night? If so, I sure don't recall it. For road riding or commuting, lights suitable for nighttime MTBing would be ridiculous overkill.

Hey for me, don't mind the overkill-that's usually my style, but no mtb yet. Just getting back into cycling, getting in shape, etc. so just on road stuff.
Proud of my 1st 27 miler the other day on a very heavy commuter bike (but it fit) and after a long, long absence from serious and dedicated riding to get into shape.

So a light up front (want wide beam), one on the back, and maybe a helmet light?

PS It's not bike friendly where I am now and am definitely erring on the side of overkill for them to see me and me to see them and the road.

1happygirl
08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I've got nearly 500 cycles on my NMH ARC. I'd buy another - customer service is top notch

but....

as others have said LED is now poised to overtake nearly all HID. L&M comes out with theirs any day now.

They will be expensive so a bargain hunter could look for a HID on sale

good luck in your search and I hope you are very pleased with your new light!

E

Hey thanks that was a question as I think I heard Ginger in a search of the formum mention an L&M hid light.
I'll post pix once I get my rig all kitted out (I'll be so proud of it and just getting it together-takes time).
Just arrived in the mail a Jandd rack and hurricane camille (as they call them) panniers.

The light decision is the last, hardest, most time consuming /complex, and most $$ decision I think.

R2D2
08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I personally will not commute with a generator front light. unless the technology has changed without me knowing, everytime you stop, the front light goes out. When stopped at an interstection (or progressing slowly through it), I really want to be seen by oncoming cars.

Kevin

It's changed.
I'm not pusing dynahubs, just letting you now there are some advancements.

From Peter White:
The SON hub has several advantages over other power sources for bicycle lights. Compared to batteries, power is available whenever the front wheel is turning. It makes no difference how cold it is, or how long you've been riding. The light stays on until you stop. (We have several headlights that stay lit for several minutes after you stop, powered by a capacitor.) Many batteries lose power in cold weather. And with the SON, you don't need to remember to charge or replace the batteries. Also, by eliminating batteries, that's a whole pile of them that don't end up in a landfill some day. The SON is environmentally friendly

palincss
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Even if you don't have a headlight with a capacitor-based standlight capability, how much trouble is it to put a little Cateye Opticube on your handlebar? They're cheap, the AAAs last a long time on flash, and you can move it from bike to bike in a few seconds. The point of a standlight is to be seen, and a little headlight like this does that job very well. (Not something I'd like to have as my primary system, though.)

John
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I've been using mine for commuting and the after-work-I-need-a-long-ride-syndrome for about a year now. I've got the single lamp and like to put it on my helmet. With the larger of the two LI-ions, I cna ride for many hours in the dark with enough light to illuminate the road at 20mph and feel comfortable in the fact that I can see the road variances safely.

Another resource is Dionitte's web page. All kinds of info, and you can purchase direct.

Definitely check out the headlamp with the rear red, way cool and works well, too.

Birddog
08-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm also guessing I can save time and take it to the shop for a $ to have the system mounted.

If you opt for the DiNotte, this will take you maybe 10 mins the first time, and possibly 2 mins (if you're a real klutz or anal) after that. You can unstrap the battery and the light in 20 secs. I can attach the battery, the light and aim the light in 1 min or less (the ability to easily remove the light pkg is important to people who have to leave their bikes unprotected from thieves). I use the DiNotte 200 L with a cheap blinkie on the rear and an inexpensive LED flashlight strapped to my helmet. The helmet light it for emergencies like changing a tire, or when I want to see in a direction that is different from my bike. Lotsa people comment on how bright my light is.

Birddog

1happygirl
08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
If you opt for the DiNotte, this will take you maybe 10 mins the first time, and possibly 2 mins (if you're a real klutz or anal) after that. You can unstrap the battery and the light in 20 secs. I can attach the battery, the light and aim the light in 1 min or less (the ability to easily remove the light pkg is important to people who have to leave their bikes unprotected from thieves). I use the DiNotte 200 L with a cheap blinkie on the rear and an inexpensive LED flashlight strapped to my helmet. The helmet light it for emergencies like changing a tire, or when I want to see in a direction that is different from my bike. Lotsa people comment on how bright my light is.

Birddog

Cool. the generators would be my first pick but stopping a lot its a no go(sides I'm too slow right now).

Awesome Thanks everyone. I have learned a lot.

looks like Birddog it'll be three a front, back, and helmet light for me!

thejen12
08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I've had a NiteRider X2 Dual for the past year and am very happy with it. I think it's about the most light for the $$. It's two LED headlights and a Lithium rechargeable battery, the whole system weights about 1/2 lb.

My husband just got a Dinotte 400L headlight, which is two LED headlights in one casing (so you cannot aim them separately) with two Lithium batteries (you only use one at a time, but they require you to buy two). He ordered the $10 extra lense kit so he can make one of the lights a wider beam.

The NiteRiders attach with o-rings so they are quick and easy to put on and off. The Dinotte 400L requires a screwdriver to attach and remove it, but that in itself could be a theft deterrent if we're talking about low-level opportunity theft. Runtime is longer on the Dinotte.

How long a run-time are you looking for?

Jenn

jeffinCT
08-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I second the Dinotte recommendation. Excellent lights and Excellent communication and customer service. I have the 600L LED which is very bright and comes with 2 batteries.

1happygirl
09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey thanks all again. Jenn thanks for the heads up on the Niterider ++10 on the rechargable batteries

Probably about 3 hrs run time but I am interested in how all of these mount. I didn't have as much time (or really any) this weekend to research like I was gonna. 1/2 lb and the ability to beam, takeoff at will is a plus.

I think with the Dinotte I would be looking at 3-4 lights? not sure but headlight, tailight, helmet? (ability to aim?)

Very good info on the mounting. I will be in & out on the bike and would like to remove as much as possible if I'm in somewhere for 3-4 hrs.

thejen12
09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey thanks all again. Jenn thanks for the heads up on the Niterider ++10 on the rechargable batteries

Probably about 3 hrs run time but I am interested in how all of these mount. I didn't have as much time (or really any) this weekend to research like I was gonna. 1/2 lb and the ability to beam, takeoff at will is a plus.

I think with the Dinotte I would be looking at 3-4 lights? not sure but headlight, tailight, helmet? (ability to aim?)

Very good info on the mounting. I will be in & out on the bike and would like to remove as much as possible if I'm in somewhere for 3-4 hrs.

Well the NiteRider only runs 1.5 hours on high and 3 hours on low. The Dinotte runs 400L runs four hours on high, I believe. Dinotte also has a 200L product that attaches quick and easy with o-rings, very similar to how the NiteRider attaches. I don't know the runtime on that product, though. Two Dinotte 200Ls would be about the same configuration as one NiteRider X2 Dual, but would provide a few more lumens. I recommend you check out the Dinotte website, since they have several products and packages.

The one thing I prefer on the Dinotte is that the wire that connects the headlamps to the battery seems more secure than the one on the NiteRider. Every once in a while, my NiteRider light comes unplugged from the battery for no apparent reason. That's the main reason I recommended the Dinotte for my husband, since he commutes on steep, rural, mountain roads and could crash if his lights went off suddenly.

Jenn

fiamme red
09-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Grazie!I like the 200L with 4 Cell Li-Ion battery. I haven't tested it to the fullest yet, but these are the run times that Dinotte lists:

8 Hours 100%
16 Hours 50%
32 Hours 25%

That's a four times longer run time than the 4 Cell AA Ni-MH.

And what's really great about Li-Ion batteries is that they don't self-discharge, as Ni-MH batteries do. You can recharge a Li-Ion battery and use it a month later, if you like. With Ni-MH batteries, you need to recharge them shortly before use.

Birddog
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
DiNotte just started a SALE! Check their website to see if there is anything that suits you.

Birddog

znfdl
09-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I have a Dinotte 600 Headlight and a 400 taillight. These are more lights than you will ever need. I feel comfortable going 25mph with the headlight. With the 400 tailight, casrs start slowing down when thay are within 200 feet from me :)

fiamme red
09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Dinotte just came out with an 800L light.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=608730494&Count2=525870919