PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ti frame builders

tv_vt
08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a Merckx Ti frame (built by Litespeed) with a 1 inch head tube. Is it possible to replace it with a 1-1/8" headtube? If so, I'd add a 2 cm extension and cable adjusters and a pump peg. I'm not sure if Ti is workable like steel is in this way. But Serotta Pete made a mention of something like this in a thread in the Image Gallery the other day that got me thinking.

Thanks for any info. How much would that cost, too?

Thom

Kirk007
08-28-2008, 10:16 PM
not a ti builder but Dave Levy - Ti Designs in Portland does repairs, revisions like this, and does good work.

Smiley
08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Serotta can also do this but is it worth the repair cost, Just add a heads up extender and a new carbon fork and be done with it.

amator
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Serotta can also do this but is it worth the repair cost, Just add a heads up extender and a new carbon fork and be done with it.

I agree unless the bike needs a few other things done, Its not worth it.

abqhudson
08-29-2008, 04:50 PM
You might try Jim Kish - Kish Fabrication in CA.

Tom Kellogg
08-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Why not? Since Litespeed built it to begin with, why not have them do the work? They do this sort of thing all the time. It ends up being done in the custom shop, not the production area. Yup, pretty expensive, but you will be able to upgrade to better current forks with an O/S head tube.