PDA

View Full Version : OT Audi A6 Advice - Shame On Me

keno
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Late last summer, one of you gave me great advice on an Audi A8 I eventually bought for my wife. You are the service manager, as I remember, at a dealership in the southwest. I need your help again but lost contact information. Please phone home. PM or keno55@gmail.com. I apologize for being a loser.

keno

rwsaunders
08-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Share the advice if you don't mind, Keno as I have an A6 wagon.

konstantkarma
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
S4 sedan here.

weatherman
08-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Allroad here, with an eye on an S4 convertible............. :)

quattro
08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I sold my 1995 S6 yesterday with 110,000 miles. I miss it.

Sandy
08-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Suggestion-

Go to the Audi USA website and click on dealers. Then take the few states you think are in the Southwest that the dealer may be in. Say Arizona and New Mexico. Pick a city in the state, say Phoenix and Santa Fe. Do a search for dealers that are say 600 miles from Phoenix. You will get a list of say 10 dealers. Do likewise for Santa Fe. Perhaps the name of the dealer/phone number/loacaton will move one of the rusty memory cogs in your brain into recollection.

Sandy

keno
08-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Sandy, I'll be patient and hope that Herr Gutschraubenschlüssel replies to me. In the meantime, here are my questions.

A8 This is a 2007 built before January 1, 2007. As a consequence, its sound system does not have an iPod adapter. Without making big changes to the system, is there an after market adapter that can be inserted in the CD changer that utilizes channel 6 allowing the iPod to play on the car's sound system? Better yet, a combination adapater that has both iPod and USB features, the latter so that my Zune can be played, as well.

A6 This is a 2000 2.7T A6. After 172,000 miles the six-CD changer, located on the left side of the trunk, has ceased functioning. I drive quite a bit and enjoy listening to books on CD from the library. (The dashboard single CD player stopped working years ago.) I've been playing disks in my laptop that sits on the passenger seat and listen through earphones (one at a time for you safety oriented). My multi-tasking abilities were never that good, and have only deteriorated over time, so changing disks at 80 mph offers more possibilities for not hearing a book's end than I care to consider. So repair or replacement of the changer is in order.

Q1 I have searched all over the changer and the case that holds it and am unable to find the secret latch to release the changer itself. Perhaps it takes a tool and actually unscrewing to remove the sucker. How do I remove the unit in the hopes that it can be repaired or replaced (Audi quoted me $500 for a new unit, which is a purchase this guy ain't going to make)?

Q2 My sound system readout is "NO CD", which seems to be good news in that I'm guessing that the sensor or associated circuits are bad and the drive motor is unaffected. Am I being unduly optimistic? If it is the sensor or its relations, are there electronics shops that deign to repair such changers?

Q3 If replacement is in order, what are my alternatives? I have browsed sites that offer used car parts, which, at the right price, are worth a try in my view.

Thanks,

keno

1centaur
08-29-2008, 07:45 AM
My old car had a CD changer in the trunk, and the way to get it out was to slide something to the side and then push the changer straight down, which released a spring so I could pull it out.

Viper
08-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm not German and I don't drive an Audi, but BMW's have a female jack in the back of the radio itself. You have to remove the radio and connect an OEM auxiliary cable...route the cable along the center console for your iPod. Good luck, hope it works out, man must have tunes.

pale scotsman
08-29-2008, 08:31 AM
The no disc error is usually a dirty lens. Try a little compressed air if it's just a mean little dust bunny. I usually take 'em apart and clean the lens with an alcohol swab. Sometimes you can get a q-tip in there without taking it apart.

keno
08-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I like it, pale scotsman. I hope I can get a swab in there since I haven't yet figured out how to remove the changer. I will report back.

keno

DfCas
08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
There is also a "lens cleaning disc" if that is your problem. It had a small brush on a disc and a bottle of fluid.

Sandy
08-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I like it, pale scotsman. I hope I can get a swab in there since I haven't yet figured out how to remove the changer. I will report back.

keno

C-4?? :rolleyes:

Simple Sandy

csm
08-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I think a well-aimed strike with a hammer ought to do it.

Z3c
08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Go to Audiworld.com and ask these questions; great folks who will offer tons of help..

Scott

djg21
08-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Share the advice if you don't mind, Keno as I have an A6 wagon.

A6 Allroad and TT Roadster, here.

djg21
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Sandy, I'll be patient and hope that Herr Gutschraubenschlüssel replies to me. In the meantime, here are my questions.

A8 This is a 2007 built before January 1, 2007. As a consequence, its sound system does not have an iPod adapter. Without making big changes to the system, is there an after market adapter that can be inserted in the CD changer that utilizes channel 6 allowing the iPod to play on the car's sound system? Better yet, a combination adapater that has both iPod and USB features, the latter so that my Zune can be played, as well.

A6 This is a 2000 2.7T A6. After 172,000 miles the six-CD changer, located on the left side of the trunk, has ceased functioning. I drive quite a bit and enjoy listening to books on CD from the library. (The dashboard single CD player stopped working years ago.) I've been playing disks in my laptop that sits on the passenger seat and listen through earphones (one at a time for you safety oriented). My multi-tasking abilities were never that good, and have only deteriorated over time, so changing disks at 80 mph offers more possibilities for not hearing a book's end than I care to consider. So repair or replacement of the changer is in order.

Q1 I have searched all over the changer and the case that holds it and am unable to find the secret latch to release the changer itself. Perhaps it takes a tool and actually unscrewing to remove the sucker. How do I remove the unit in the hopes that it can be repaired or replaced (Audi quoted me $500 for a new unit, which is a purchase this guy ain't going to make)?

Q2 My sound system readout is "NO CD", which seems to be good news in that I'm guessing that the sensor or associated circuits are bad and the drive motor is unaffected. Am I being unduly optimistic? If it is the sensor or its relations, are there electronics shops that deign to repair such changers?

Q3 If replacement is in order, what are my alternatives? I have browsed sites that offer used car parts, which, at the right price, are worth a try in my view.

Thanks,

keno

I have a Blitzsafe adapter in my 2003 Allroad. In my TT, I have a similar adapter with a toggle, through which I can play my satellite radio or my Ipod.

There are a number of companies that manufacture adapters. You can propbably due a google search for "Audi A8" and "auxiliary input."
Alternatively, you may want to ask your question at: http://forums.audiworld.com/a8d3/

PoppaWheelie
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
A6 Allroad and TT Roadster, here.

A3 here...no wait, maybe it's a Volkswagen.

All I know is that I miss my M3. :mad:

konstantkarma
08-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks,

keno

Keno,

The 2000 also has a cassette tape player, right? The easiest solution is to use a tape adapter thingy and use an Ipod or other MP3 player to play music or whatever (the adapter looks like a cassette tape with a wire attached to it to plug into the Ipod output). I use one in my 2001 S4, and never listen to actual CDs anymore. There is also an adapter for the Ipod that can be connected to your CD changer input if you want song display data to show on the radio head unit. This link has lots of info available for options in Audi audio systems.....Audi Audio (http://homepage.mac.com/edyjun1/S4/index.htm) . I hope this helps.

djg21
08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
A3 here...no wait, maybe it's a Volkswagen.

All I know is that I miss my M3. :mad:

Have a chip thrown in the A3 -- I have APRs, and theu make a huge diffence, and you will be much happier! But why no Standard transmission? I went to the dealership yesterday. I'm hoping to trade in the Allroad for another wagon of some sort. Neither the A6 nor the A4 avant is available in a stick unless I go to Europe. What is Audi thinking? While DSG is nice, I'd prefer to avoid automatic transmissions.

pjm
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Have a chip thrown in the A3 -- I have APRs, and theu make a huge diffence, and you will be much happier! But why no Standard transmission? I went to the dealership yesterday. I'm hoping to trade in the Allroad for another wagon of some sort. Neither the A6 nor the A4 avant is available in a stick unless I go to Europe. What is Audi thinking? While DSG is nice, I'd prefer to avoid automatic transmissions.
The Germans not offering manuals in some models is quite disturbing.
Check out the new Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ 6 spd manual (if you can find one!) Seriously. Damn nice car with a ton of room with the rear seat folded.
45 mpg too.

rwsaunders
08-29-2008, 12:34 PM

Automatic transmissions and personal computers are just passing fads.... :cool:

csm
08-29-2008, 02:20 PM
you can not get my car with an automatic tranny; six speed only.

huey
08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Keno,

I helped you out with your A8 purchase. I'm a service consultant @ Audi Chandler in Chandler, AZ . Please pm for specific questions.

Brad

Actually for that matter, if anyone has any Audi related questions please let me know.

huey
08-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Keno,

Here is the link for what you want the A8.
http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php. This has by far the best interface and allows you to have USB capability as well. However, it isn't cheap at around $700.00 for the unit alone, but well worth it. It has a much better interface than the factory I-Pod unit. Also, there isn't a U.S. distributor, and have to be ordred from Canada.

If you can wait till Tuesday, I'll check on how hard it is to remove the CD changer from the A6. I'm sure there is just something small that you are missing.

Brad

keno
09-01-2008, 04:37 AM
thanks for checking in. I'll PM you.

keno

keno
09-01-2008, 05:37 AM
I have already tried the disk cleaner route. Neither my dash player nor the CD changer recognize it. I did not have the fluid mentioned. I may try some isopropyl alcohol on the disk brushes and try it in the dash unit. I've pretty much given up on that unit, so it can't get no deader.

As to adapter units for the dash cassette player, I tried that but I only get mono out of it. Is it the adapter unit or the usual response? If someone can suggest an adapter that does stereo, I'm interested.

keno

konstantkarma
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Is it the adapter unit or the usual response? If someone can suggest an adapter that does stereo, I'm interested.

keno

It is either the adapter, or the tape heads that are the problem. The tape adapter unit should play in stereo. Does a cassette tape play in stereo, or mono? Adapters are a dime a dozen at any electronics section of Wal Mart, Radio Shack, or anywhere else. I have been the same Kenwood branded one for about 4 years in my Audi.