PDA

View Full Version : steel frame opinion

petey
08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Given the cost of k bedford customs, how would steve rex steel frame differ from k bedford custom? Frame and fork from steve rex is significantly less, if current prices listed on the internet are correct. :confused:

oldguy00
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Probably similar to asking what the difference is between Dura Ace and Ultegra.
Both are made properly, work great, but it comes down to which logo you want on your bike, IMHO.

Waldo
08-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I am so happy with my steel Rex -- the most fun handling bike I've ever ridden -- that I am having Steve build me a steel/carbon hybrid, which is due in October. He is a very nice guy, is easy to work with, and his wait is relatively short. I heartily recommend him.

Ahneida Ride
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Kelly is one of the most knowledgeable builder in the country.
Thus the premium for a Bedford, Sachs, Vanilla, Kirk ...etc

If I had the frns, I'd have a Kelly Bedford next to my Legend.

Pete's bike is an amazing example of pure artisan craftmanship.

WadePatton
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
This is a decent list, but there are obvious holes in it. I've already submitted more to the keeper of it. IIRC: Ahrens, Ahearne, Sweetpea, Peter Weigle, Coconino, Kirk, Groovy (Rody Walter), Doug Fattic, Curt Goodrich, and of course there are more.

http://thebikeframe.com/builders/builderdata07/builder07list.php?order=frameBuilder&ordertype=ASC&PHPSESSID=cbf1a6b2697390e69d5f0b8bd132e4fa

John H.
08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
You would be giving nothing up. Steve has been making frames for a long time. He has great understanding of fit/custom needs, and his fillet brazing is 2nd to none.

Given the cost of k bedford customs, how would steve rex steel frame differ from k bedford custom? Frame and fork from steve rex is significantly less, if current prices listed on the internet are correct. :confused:

markie
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
There are lots of great custom builders out there. Go with one whose aesthetic you like and who makes frames in your style choice. I would go for a Sachs cyclocross and an ANT commuter/town bike, but possibly not the other way around.

Depending what you are looking for in a frame talk to a couple of different builders to see if they will accommodate your whims and if you think you can "get on" with them.

maunahaole
08-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I can't speak to the Bedford, as I have never seen one, etc. I'm sure it is an excellent bike.

I know a lot of folks who have ridden Steve Rex bikes. I lived in Sacramento for 14 years and there are lots of his bikes on the road there. I know of countless strong and skilled riders who have had great bikes that sing the praises of their Steve Rex bikes - this is just based on the ride and handling. He will do adjustments on geometry to make the bike suit your needs. Paint and build are impeccable on them as well. Steve is a really nice humble and almost shy guy. I would have no reservations having him do a frame for me. If you are in N. Cal. give him a call and set up a time to meet.

FlaRider
08-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Another vote for Steve Rex. I owned one of his bike a few years ago and it was a fantastic ride. He's a super nice guy to boot and his filet brazing is amazing.

tsutaoka
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
another vote for Rex. i have a s3 steel frame in process...

thejen12
08-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Another vote for Steve.

I have "special needs" in terms of fitting, and he nailed it. I liked the first frame so much, I got a second!

Jenn

Pete Serotta
08-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Vote for Kelly!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

:D :D

Fixed
08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
there is a cat named zank that does nice work imho and he is cool too
cheers

Lifelover
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM

It is almost a ridiculous proposition to shop for frames based on price. Truth be told, you could easily get a frame for less than $500 (used or Low end new) that functionally, is as good as any custom.

Assuming you can truly afford it, buy what speaks to you.