PDA

View Full Version : 140 stem too long?

amator
08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I know there are no right or wrong answers to this.

i used to think that it meant the bike's TT is too short and the rider needed to compensate but after talking to some guys who sized down so to speak, some advantages seemed clear.

I'll leave bike brands outta this as it'll complicate matters with other issues of geometry and builder preferences)

Some time back ,I lessened my bar drop by moving 2.5 cm upwards when my lower back started playing up.(changed from a 110 to a 130 stem to compensate the reach.)

i used this 130 stem on a loaned frame (exact same model but theoretically 1.5cm shorter TT) when i sold my frame. i went from a 55.5 to a 53.5 level top tube.

Advantages:
(1) smaller frame had better power delivery (assuming the small things like toe overlap dont become an issue)
2) better front/rear weight distribution
3)i seem like Im in better control overall.

Your views?

jhcakilmer
08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I use 140s and 130s, and I don't find that big of a difference (1cm longer TT or 1cm longer stem.....does it really make that big of a difference??). Personally, I like the 130 length because there are more options out there. Fewer and fewer 140s are being produced, with fewer and fewer options.

So I think I'll stick with 130, works for me!

don'TreadOnMe
08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Maybe change your bars instead?
Reach and drop can make up huge differences in c0ckpit lengths.

Sometimes the whole (tt w/in a millimeter) custom thing gets chucked out w/the bathwater depending on bars/brifters...

Run whatever feels the best to you, intersected w/what makes the bike handle the best.
:-)

Tobias
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Your views?I would not purchase a new frame with a 53.5 CM top tube with plans to install a 13 or 14 CM stem. For smaller frames I like a shorter stem in proportion to the frame's size.

musgravecycles
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Kilmer-pal, there are plenty of 140 stems out there. Every major stem manufacture has at least 1 in their lineup, you just think there aren't any because you can't find one on fleabay for $23. Take a trip to you lbs and borrow the consumer QBP catalog and you'll find plenty of 'em.

140's (and even 150's) are important for us titan's because it's the only way to get enough weight over the front wheel so the bike handles properly. Without them front-centers get too long and handling goes to pot, there's a reason that almost every Euro-Pro over 5'10 uses one...

amator
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I would not purchase a new frame with a 53.5 CM top tube with plans to install a 13 or 14 CM stem. For smaller frames I like a shorter stem in proportion to the frame's size.

Granted that loaner bike frame was a bit small.. even for me,
Im running 54.5 to 55 TT's now with most of my bikes.
But it did look extremely pro , fit notwithstanding.

Fixed
08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
you over 6' 2" ?
cheers
imho

amator
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
you over 6' 2" ?
cheers
imho
5' 9"

Tobias
08-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Granted that loaner bike frame was a bit small.. even for me,
Im running 54.5 to 55 TT's now with most of my bikes.
But it did look extremely pro , fit notwithstanding.In that size frame I think 11 or 12 CM stems would be in the right range. If a builder designed a new bike for me with a 13 or 14 CM stem I'd walk away. That's just me.

Dave
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Don't forget the effect of STA on reach - it's about 1cm per degree with steeper angles making the reach longer.

Raising the bars 2.5cm did not justify a 20mm increase in stem length. The stem would only move back 7-8mm.

Be sure you don't have the saddle too far forward. Strict adherence to KOP can result in a too far forward position and the need for a longer stem.

amator
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't forget the effect of STA on reach - it's about 1cm per degree with steeper angles making the reach longer.

Raising the bars 2.5cm did not justify a 20mm increase in stem length. The stem would only move back 7-8mm.

Be sure you don't have the saddle too far forward. Strict adherence to KOP can result in a too far forward position and the need for a longer stem.

Yup, in most cases it wouldnt, I used what I had at the time which was a 130 stem and a ITM pro bar that seemed to have a shorter reach than the original nitto noodle.
All in all, i gained around 4-5mm over the original setup but because I wasnt 'diving' downwards, it felt ok.