PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for used bike

tallguy
08-28-2008, 07:42 AM
I am looking to buy a bike off of a former coworker and I need some help figuring out a fair price. Just to explain the situation... I am 6'9" and a beginner in cycling. This will be my first road bike. My former coworker is also 6'9" and although our bodies structure is slightly different, i think this bike would be the closest i could come to getting a bike that fits without paying for a custom bike. He has a custom Serotta Colorado III that he bought a few years ago and road only 10 times (for a total of 250 miles). It has a 71cm frame and all Ultegra shifters and gears. 70cc wheels and has almost every option available. He's also planning to throw in a very nice pair of shoes (that almost fit me). He says that he spent close to $5000 on the bike. Anyone have any input on what a used bike like this should sell for? I can't imagine that there is a huge market for 6'9 guys looking to buy someone else's custom bike. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

srenda
08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
If you go to http://www.archive.org and do a search for for serotta.com, you can see the price of the C-III in the last year it was sold, maybe $1600 w/a fork. An ultegra group circa 2003, maybe $700 new?? As to the wheels and other bits, that could get you to 5K, but that seems a bit high.

Onno
08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
It would help if you could post a picture of the bike, so we could get a look at all the bits he has on the bike. I'm also a little suspicious of the original price of 5K.

I'm not sure, in the end, that the size of the bike should have any effect on the price. You could argue that there is a very small market for the bike. He could argue that bikes this size are very rare.

It's a fine bike, and if it's in good shape, and fits you reasonably well, then it's a very good find for you. I think I'd offer somewhere around 1500 for the bike, but this is only a very rough estimate, especially since we don't know the wheels and other parts. I'm guessing though, that since the bike is Ultegra equipped rather than something fancier, the rest of the bike is also fitted with mid-grade parts.

Charles M
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Not sure what you mean by a "few years ago", but I would look at paying between a third and half of it's original value. If a few means two years or less than I would pay between half and two thirds.

BUT

Tall guys have a lot more fit issues than short guys.

I would ask to take the bike to a fitter and see if you genuinely work on the bike before I bought it.

csm
08-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I thought the 5000 seemed high but... he's probably including EVERYTHING... shoes, bottles, cages, computer, pump, spare tubes, bag, taxes, etc.

woolly
08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
"and has almost every option". Need to be more specific here. It's not like cars that are often described as "fully loaded".

Also, shoes that ALMOST fit are no bargain.

That said, I think the original suggestion of $1500 would be a good starting point, if you don't think he'd be offended by that offer. Maybe a bit more if it's 10-speed series components instead of 9-speed. And, there's nothing wrong with Ultegra - it's good, functional stuff. It's just not the top-of-the-line Dura-Ace, and it's now a generation old, component-wise. Too old to be "the new stuff", not old enough to be rare-&-in-demand for collectors.

Good luck. :beer:

tallguy
08-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you all for your help. I'll see if I can get more details on the bike. As I said, I am a beginner so not really sure what to look for.

Ahneida Ride
08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Big guy bikes are IMPOSSILE to find ....

On the other hand, so are big bike riders ....

So it's a matter of who blinks first. :argue:

Myself, I would pay a premium for a nice used frame/bike that
fit. I emphasize fit. If the frame is off, you will ride in discomfort and
quickly abandon the sport.

The price range for frame and fork seems to be between 500 frn and
1500 frn. If she is new condition, 1500 frn would be reasonable but on
the high end.

Then add components. Just visit any one of the on-line bike site to
get a estimate of components. I'd then discount by 50%. Ultegra is not
one of may favorite groups. Why? I demoed a Litespeed with Ultegra
and the brakes were useless, even after they installed new pads.
Make sure the brakes function correctly.

other issues to take into consideration are top tube length. do you like
to be "stretched out" or perfer a more upright position ?

and the tubing ..... Serotta can work all sorts of magic with it's tubing.
One riders' heaven is another riders purgatory. Is the frame too stiff ....
too flexy ? Try to get an idea of what characteristics the frame was
designed about.

Not that long ago, 50% of total msrp seem to be a standard. today it
seems to be less.

I'd just love to see ya out riding. Send me a PM if I can help.
I am sure "Uncle" William would be eager to help also.

Also realize that I know "Bo about Jack" most of the other members here
are far more knowledgeable.

The one thing I do realize is that those of us on the far end of the Bell
Curve do have fitting issues. Make sure the frame fits. ;)

I hope this helps .... ;)

scrooge
08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Would you like to buy mine (road and/or mountain)? Anythings for sale for the right price...and i guarantee it'll be cheaper than a CIII.
Oh, and I'm about 6'8".

scrooge
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
The price range for frame and fork seems to be between 500 frn and
1500 frn. If she is new condition, 1500 frn would be reasonable but on
the high end.

Really?! That seems like a pretty good deal to me..I was thinking 2k, but what do I know. I never find bikes that fit me (sniffle sniffle) so I don't pay much attention.

Ahneida Ride
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Really?! That seems like a pretty good deal to me..I was thinking 2k, but what do I know. I never find bikes that fit me (sniffle sniffle) so I don't pay much attention.

Hey ..What do I know too? A new CDA is between 2500 and 3000 frn and
that does not include options ... upgraded paint, rack mounts, etc ... ;)
Then one adds components, wheels, etc? ....

In 6 years, I found just one used frame that fits me.
It's a 66 Ottrott that's still available.

There is a nice 60 CSi over in the Classifieds for about 1K frn ...

djg
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
If you go to http://www.archive.org and do a search for for serotta.com, you can see the price of the C-III in the last year it was sold, maybe $1600 w/a fork. An ultegra group circa 2003, maybe $700 new?? As to the wheels and other bits, that could get you to 5K, but that seems a bit high.

Cool feature.

So, yeah, 5k sounds a bit high for a CIII with ultegra, but not necessarily crazy or unbelievable. I took a stab at the top of 2004 and found the frame only, with basic paint, going for 1495. You could have added up to 575 for a Serotta fork, or 675 with the same fork painted to match the frame. If there were a fancier than standard paint job, that could have added 2-500 bucks easily. Obviously I don't know the model year or the paint job, but it's not hard to believe that somebody may have spent 2,300-2,500 for the frame and fork alone. 6 or 7 hundred for an ultegra group (dunno), another few hundred for the build stuff -- bars, stem, saddle, etc. -- and 500 for wheels, and we're at 4k or so before tax, shoes, and whatever else the guy is remembering as an out-the-door total, and that's without even thinking about CF wheels.

Keeping it simple, the bike alone probably could have been done for under 3. A year or two earlier maybe it could have been done for about 2,500. But 5 for a bike plus package o' stuff could have happened at the end of the CIII run.

Other folks seem to have covered the basics. Used bikes in very good shape often go for half or less than half of their retail price. It's not uncommon to see used bikes of this (high) caliber and generation, in good shape, going for 1-1.5k. Still, there can be pretty big swings in actual used bike sales prices in particular circumstances and I wouldn't get too hung up on a supposed used market price for something that's not commonly available. It's worth to you what you're willing to pay. It's worth to him what he's willing to take.

For something that really fits, and really suits you, in an unusual size . . . well, maybe you should be willing to pay a bit of a premium. At the same time, as was pointed out above, there are only just so many possible customers at the extremes as well.

Louis
08-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Assuming everything is in very good working order (after just 250 miles it aught to be) I don't think I'd pay over 50% of the original price. Obviously there are a number of variables (e.g. 10spd vs 9 spd, scratches or dents due to little kids knocking things over, and most importantly the fit). Once you get past 50% and start movint toward 75% you're into the "well, I might as well get a new one" range.

As was said above, I think the "used bikes in that size range are quite rare" factor balances out the "buyers of used bikes in that size range are quite rare" factor.

Good Luck

PS What are the odds, two 6'9" guys working in the same place...

Needs Help
08-29-2008, 01:34 AM
I am looking to buy a bike off of a former coworker and I need some help figuring out a fair price. Just to explain the situation... I am 6'9" and a beginner in cycling. This will be my first road bike. My former coworker is also 6'9" and although our bodies structure is slightly different, i think this bike would be the closest i could come to getting a bike that fits without paying for a custom bike. He has a custom Serotta Colorado III that he bought a few years ago and road only 10 times (for a total of 250 miles). It has a 71cm frame and all Ultegra shifters and gears. 70cc wheels and has almost every option available. He's also planning to throw in a very nice pair of shoes (that almost fit me). He says that he spent close to $5000 on the bike. Anyone have any input on what a used bike like this should sell for? I can't imagine that there is a huge market for 6'9 guys looking to buy someone else's custom bike. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
The coincidental fact that you are both 6' 9" has no bearing on whether the bike will fit you. Your inseam measurement(which is measured in a particular way for cyclists and is not equal to your pant inseam), your "ankling"(do you ride with your feet horizontal or toes pointing down), your arm length, and your flexibility are all things that have to be accounted for.

The way bike fitting works is like this:

1) You buy a bike that you innocently guess might fit you. Then as you discover aches and pains while riding your bike, you raise or lower the handlebars and shorten or lengthen the stem in an effort to find a comfortable position. If you are lucky, through trial and error you will come up with something that allows you to ride in reasonable comfort. If you are unlucky, the changes you require might be so drastic that you will have to buy a bigger/smaller frame to accomodate the particulars of your body.

or

2) You go to a fitter who comes up with a ball park frame size and components(i.e. proper stem length, handlebar width and height). Since you are a beginner, the fitter will try to design a frame that has lots of room for adjustments. Then you get a custom frame built. As you ride your custom frame, the fitter will make changes, e.g. shorten or lengthen the stem, raise or lower the handlebars, in response to aches and pains you experience while riding. If you are unlucky, you might have to get a bigger/smaller frame to accomodate more drastic changes that are necessary.

The goal: obtaining a bike that fits while blowing the least amount of money on new parts or frames during your trial and error process. Also, blowing the least amount of money on SADDLES: finding a comfortable saddle can be a life long quest. Well, I guess that's true for finding a comfortable frame, too.

One option is to go see a fitter and get a fitting done($150-$300). Then visit the fitter with your coworker and the bike, and ask the fitter if he can make the bike fit you.

Typically, a custom bike that is several years old in a popular size will go for 50% of the new price. For off size custom frames, like frames with strange geometries or really large frames, the prices can be even lower--much lower.

nohappen
08-29-2008, 04:17 AM
I am 6'9" and a beginner in cycling. This will be my first road bike.

William
08-29-2008, 06:54 AM
You’ve got some good advice here so far. The price as it is now seems high to me. It’s kind of like a new car, once you drive it off the lot its value depreciates quite a bit. Also, big customs are usually a hard sell. If you are both 6’ 9” then it’s a good starting point, but by no means does it insure it will be a proper fit. As a beginner, seeing a good fitter to get you into the ballpark is probably a good idea. I have my issues with fitters, but as a beginner you probably don’t have enough knowledge accumulated yet to know what you need to get you into a good fit. “Almost fit” on the shoes means they don’t fit. Either you have the same size feet or you don’t. The pain or discomfort of mile after mile of ill fitting shoes is not worth it. Get a new pair, or if you need customs there are some good choices out there for you.

In the meantime you can find some good info for us Clydesdale cyclists here:

Big Bill's Big Barbarian Bike Blog (http://barbarianbikeblog.blogspot.com/)

Good luck,
William

Ahneida Ride
08-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Also remember that a new bike comes with the Serotta Warranty.

If the remote possibility occurs and something happens, Serotta will
repair it.

and as Uncle William stated .... just because two people are the same height,
does not imply that their respective optimal frames will be identical or
for that matter even close.

The frame must factor in the length of legs. torso, arms, flexibility, and
type of ride desired.

If you ride in pain or discomfort, you will soon relinquish the sport.

Seek out a competent fitter, purchasing the wrong size frame is wasting your frns.