PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra SL quickie

bnewt07
08-28-2008, 01:51 AM
In the process of collecting bits and bobs for my wife's new custom Ti bike and I got tempted by the new grey Ultegra SL groupset. It had to be Shimano for the short crank length option.

The new grey finish looked (very) lovely in the shop, and I think it wil really suit the unpainted Ti bike but having bought the set I'm just wondering how durable it was. I always liked the blue-grey look of my 'old-style' XTR cranks but after 3 rides it had rubbed off and looked a bit tatty.

Has anyone used the new SL cranks and how are they loooking after a bit of use? I guess I could protect it with a bit of helicopter tape if it scuffs easily, her petite size means she rides quite 'narrow' and does rub the crank a bit with her shoe.

Kevan
08-28-2008, 08:09 AM
but I can tell you that the Ultegra components do lose their luster after a couple seasons. The finish on my brifters is beaten to hell even though their performance remains spotless. My crank arms show shoe rub wear, mostly caused by my winter booties. Dura-ace and Campy bits will maintain their good looks better. Ultegra is a workhorse that performs perfectly, even when grown ugly.