PDA

View Full Version : What position do you lock you skewers?

scottcw2
08-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Parallel to fork/seat stay?

Parallel to fork/chainstay?

90* angle?

I'm curious in what position people lock their skewers. I do parallel to fork slightly in front and parallel to chainstay slightly below.

jbl
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Pointing backwards, like Perseus' winged feet

false_Aest
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
reverse cowboy

erm.... hmmmm

cowgirl

fierte_poser
08-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Pointing backwards, like Perseus' winged feet

+1

Such that the Campy logo is right side up and level to the ground.

Steve in SLO
08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Front: QR end just behind fork blade
Rear: QR end between seatstay and chainstay

avalonracing
08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Front: Slightly behind the fork blade
Rear: Between the stays

Don't let the rear skewer face backward. Some "wheel overlapper" could accidentally open it with this front wheel.

rustychisel
08-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Don't let the rear skewer face backward. Some "wheel overlapper" could accidentally open it with this front wheel.

+1 but have you ever seen this happen, where the recipient wasn't already heading towards the tarmac at terminal velocity? Really?

RABikes2
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Front: QR end just behind fork blade
Rear: QR end between seatstay and chainstay
+1

regularguy412
08-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Front: flying straight back,, parallel to the ground
Rear: between the stays (for the reason stated above)

Mike in AR:beer:

bagochips3
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Used to do both parallel to the ground and facing backwards, but my brother told me about the other rider's wheel thing, so now the back is parallel but facing forward. (He told me to put it between the stays and he's more fashionable than me, but I'm sticking with parallel to exercise my independence.) Levers for both on the non-drive side.

How about brake quick release levers? Up, down, or somewhere in between? When riding, I have them all the way down and then turn them up to take off the wheels, but see others with them anywhere in between.

Eric

fierte_poser
08-27-2008, 11:25 PM

When you are as fast as I am, wheel overlapper's are a thing of the past. :D

Louis
08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
CLOSED !!!

As others have said, ll to fork blade and between stays.

Gothard
08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice curved skewers fit nicely between the chain and seatstay in back and overlap the fork leg in front, but for instance the new Record ones do not. The Hors Cat frame and the 3D dropouts are an inconvenience too.
Mostly in front of the fork leg really close, and under the chainstay.

I have a pair of 70's Super record that are straight, and everyone tells me that I am losing the wheels...

Some skewers do not stop, and can be closed into the spokes.

So, it depends on the skewer/frame combination.

dekindy
08-28-2008, 02:08 AM
CLOSED !!!

As others have said, ll to fork blade and between stays.

+1.

Kevan
08-28-2008, 06:12 AM
that way they're on the curbside and that pesty overlapper is less likely to dislodge it. Need any other advise?

keno
08-28-2008, 06:22 AM
I use quick release brake levers to adjust my brakes to the feel du jour I want.

keno

William
08-28-2008, 06:28 AM
I point mine straight down, front & back. Much better to catch furry rodents who try to Kamakazi my wheels. Yes, I know, but squirrles will only come at you from the left....I thought y'all knew that?

William ;)

duke
08-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Facing straight aft. Good enough for Merckx, good enough for me.
duke

witcombusa
08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Facing straight aft. Good enough for Merckx, good enough for me.
duke

Um...well Eddy had a different idea on this day....

Steelhead
08-29-2008, 02:34 PM

+1 :)

Michael Maddox
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
My first inclination was toward, "well, usually I'm standing up..." but then I realized that was NOT what you meant.

Kines
08-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Haven't ever given it much thought. Now I'll have to look at my bikes when I get home. Presumably, my answer is "semi-random", or "whatever position is ergonomically most convenient when reaching down to tighten them".

KN

MarleyMon
08-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I point mine straight down, front & back. Much better to catch furry rodents who try to Kamakazi my wheels. Yes, I know, but squirrles will only come at you from the left....I thought y'all knew that?

William ;)
Can I assume you also sharpen them to a fine point? ;)

BTW, I had a chipmunck make it between my wheels yesterday while I was spinning at 22mph. It did come from the left, of course.

avalonracing
08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
+1 but have you ever seen this happen, where the recipient wasn't already heading towards the tarmac at terminal velocity? Really?

No, but I took a wheel on the right side once.
It was at the end of a Cat 3 district championship and we had raced about 70 miles with less than a half mile (mild uphill) to go. There were about 20 of us and everyone was really winding up can cranking. I felt great, was in a good spot and thought that I had a real chance. I felt a bump and all the sudden my back wheel make a crunch noise and just starts skidding. Somehow I keep the bike upright and no one plows into me.

Some chucklehead had, with his front wheel, pushed my rear derailleur into the rear spokes, ripping the threads clean out of my Coppi frame, and trashing the rear wheel (I was racing on my friend's classic, old stock, lightweight GP330 tubluars.)

So... no win, no place, trashed frame, derailleur and wheel.

Oh well, at least I didn't loose any skin

The guy who did it never came over and apologized.

Fixed
08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
+2 cheers :beer:

i only have one on the front and some times i put the wheel on backwards
and some cat will say hey did you know your wheel is on backwards and i say really?
cheers

rustychisel
08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Tight, yes. And sorry, BTW, I didn't intend a sharp response there.

Slightly OT: there's a lot of newbie riders around, which is good - can be good for the sport. Those of us who 'know' out to be able to help out with advice sometimes...

I'm riding along with 3 friends a few weeks ago and we're passed by a trio of frisky younger riders. Well, they're hoofing along doing, oh, 35kmh easy, and I notice the guy in the middle has his front wheel skewer on wrong, so I roll in next to the last guy and tell him to mention it to his friend. 'Sure' he says, and they take off down the road... we see them stopped at the side of the road about 4km later. I guess it took him that long to convince his friend I wasn't just trying to 'beat' him in a 'race' to nowhere.

The problem? Well his skewer was on the right side (ie left) but was in the open position for the cam, and he'd presumably just wound up the nut tight enough to bite into the dropouts and hold the whole thing in place. He's not the only one I've seen like that - I do hope his friends were able to enlighten him.

RIHans
08-30-2008, 01:20 AM
The handle of the QR is below the chainstay, upside down from the usual way you guys do it.
I wondered why, then I figured that in a race, for a quick wheel change, the QR handle in the forward facing position is easier to grab, less stuff in the way...and a quicker wheel change.

edit...for the rear wheel QR, that is