PDA

View Full Version : Bike Story on NPR right now

ss-jimbo
08-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Talk of the Nation is talking about the increase in cycling and the conflict between cyclists and motorists.

dannyg1
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Link to downlad as Realplayer file:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/talk/2008/08/car_vs_cyclist_1.html

Look for the 'listen to this topic' link beneath the header

sailorboy
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I tried to listen but an error message says the 'content was removed' when I clicked the link. Anyone else having this problem?

Kines
08-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I've been commuting regularly since at least 1984. The new commuting "fad" is complicating things. I kinda liked it better when I was considered fringe.

KN

WadePatton
08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Something I've said for long time:

More people=more problems.

Conflict isn't limited to highly populated places, but it certainly thrives there. I'm a city dodger.

With the communications abilities we have these days, how many of you could do your job from home? Four of five days? That'll be some progress, when the employers recognize this.

More bikes=more fun. But there's going to be some transitional times.

avalonracing
08-27-2008, 08:46 AM
With the communications abilities we have these days, how many of you could do your job from home? Four of five days? That'll be some progress, when the employers recognize this.

That would be great if people were able to work like my wife. When she says home she works non-stop (even on sick days). But so many people are like children. She works at a successful tech company and people spend hours each day updating their myspace and facebook pages. Just think of what they would (or wouldn't) do at home.

Karin Kirk
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
That would be great if people were able to work like my wife. When she says home she works non-stop (even on sick days). But so many people are like children. She works at a successful tech company and people spend hours each day updating their myspace and facebook pages. Just think of what they would (or wouldn't) do at home.

I work two different jobs from home via internet, and I definitely agree. But sometimes I wonder about how much unproductive time there is in an office too, with water cooler chat and general wandering around, waiting for people and so on. And it's not like people at the office aren't surfing the web too! :rolleyes:

I know I'm super productive from my home office and when I need a quick break I will walk around the garden or throw in a load of laundry. I know this contributes to my overall productivity and allows me to regain focus. (BTW, I am not working this morning, hence my posting!)

WadePatton
08-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I think the solution to that is quite simple. Pay based on productivity, not for a warm body in a chair. But that's not how the workforce was developed, so it'll be some time making the adjustment. A buddy of mine is going through that with a state job now. He can do everything he does with an internet connection and a conference call. Of course the state will be the last outfit to do something efficient--it's not their money, it's ours.

cheers n beers.

csm
08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I work from home on the days I am not visiting customers. I get a lot done from home but I gotta say there are days where I cut out early.
compared to the last job where I was in an office almost daily.... I screwed off constantly. 2 hrs to skeet shoot once a week at lunch, did all my christmas shopping during lunch, was usually out the door by 430 and rarely showed up before 8.
just saying.