PDA

View Full Version : not try to sell bents, but having a great time

eddief
08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Just took delivery of my second bent in three months. I had a short one and have now added a long one. This is an Easy Racers Tour Easy which is kind of the classic in the bent world. Originally conceived, by the now passed Gardner Martin, more than 30 years ago.

A very nicely welded cromo frameset with very decent parts selection. Even though the wheel base is around 65 inches, when in the saddle, the cockpit fits amazingly well and it is easy to ride and maneuver. I am currently riding mine unfaired and it is supercomfortable and yet still allows the applying of power to the pedals and going fast. Not fast like on an upright or an SWB bent, but fast enough to have a good time and be totally at peace with the riding position and cruising along all day. I can't wait to do some climbing and descending.

Climbing on the SWB is always sort of a leaned-back adventure; spinning fast and leaning back at the same time. This bike will require the same spinning, but in a much more sane riding position.

I know this in not a bentdom website. But I am glad, really quite happy, to have taken a stab at this other part of the bike world. Love the custom Rex, challenged by the Volae, and instantly would choose the Tour Easy as a top notch contender for my bike of this decade.

Too much fun. Too little time.

zap
08-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Those things are cool and recumbent riders are so nice.

Great to draft behind too.

eddief
08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
what this thing feels like in the cockpit. It is one thing to tweak an upright bike for geometry and build materials, but riding a bent of just about any sort, turns "normal" cycling on its head in a good way.

Bars are at a perfect comfort height and position. Leg and pedaling position sorta half way between radical bent and upright bike. So when you want to step on it, your back is pushed against the seat and leverage is substantial. Steering geometry seems very well tuned so even when climbing at low speed, the tiller effect is what I would consider to be minimal.

When in the saddle/seat, even though that big 700c wheel is trailing behind you, the bike just does not feel anywhere close to as long as it really is.

These are now available in steel, aluminum, titanium, and just announced....carbon. They come in 6 sizes and fit is imortant. From $2500 to the sky is the limit. Oh yeah, I forgot, not trying to sell them. Newly announced carbon version.

Elefantino
08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Those things are cool and recumbent riders are so nice.

Great to draft behind too.
Particularly if they have a nice, big fairing.

zap
08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, long ago I drafted behind some fellow with a fairing who was motoring along and dropped many. Back then I was pretty fast but still worked fairly hard on that windy day.

Alas, the joy disappeared at the first climb.