PDA

View Full Version : Question on Fl cycling location

Alan
08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I am trying to find a Fl city to base myself and my son for a week of riding in Dec or early Jan. I was looking at Clermont and it looks good but the rest of my family wants to tag along and they thought there would not be much to do in Clermont.

Any suggestions about an area good for cycling and enough entertainment for the rest of the family who like shopping and the things I try to escape.

I don't know much about Fl as I hang out in SoCal and OH.

Thanks!!!

Alan

Johnnyg
08-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Al. Try Ft Myers, Fl. I live on Sanibel Island during the winter for the past three years. A good riding comunity there. Check The Caloosa Ryders web sight. I will be there starting December 1st. PM me if you want more details. Good Luck. JohnnyG

bocarider
08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
would be a good spot as you are in between the Disney/Universal area and one of the better cycling spots in FLA.

skatzman
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
ATMO Clermont has the hilliest and some of the best cycling roads in the state. I live in Orlando, which is about 30-40 minutes away and I go to Clermont to ride at least once a week. My club, The Florida Freewheelers, puts on a century in Clermont in November called the Horrible Hundred and I think it is the best attended one-day cycling event of the year in Florida. If you stay in Clermont, there is plenty of shopping in town (pretty much the same generic stores you're going to find in anytown, USA). Drive 1/2 hour east to Orlando to go to upscale Malls and restaurants or Universal Parks or Sea World or 1/2 hour south to Disney area with all it offers.

Other areas with good cycling are Talahassee, Gainesville, Sebring and Pasco County. None of them has much in the way of family entertainment, but the gentle rolling terrain and low traffic makes them great places to cycle. Pasco is an easy commute to the Tampa/St. Pete area which offers plenty of things for a family to keep busy doing.

The rest of the state is flat as a pancake. The Gulf Coast (Ft. Meyers, Sarasota, Venice, etc.) is nice with ocean views but again very flat. I would stay away from the southern part of the state, as traffic is pretty bad for cycling (there are some exceptions).

Bottom line - I think your first inclination sounds like it might be the best. Good luck and have fun.

Joel
08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Lived in Orlando since 1995. Riding in and around Clermont and Lake County is excellent. Lots of rolling hills. Not much for the family to do if you stay in Clermont. I'd suggest staying in Orlando or Mt. Dora (if you like the more laid back thing). PM me and I can give you lots of details...gotta run for a plane.

Joel

Keith A
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
skatzman has some good advice for you. I used to live in the Orlando area and would frequently ride in Clermont. It has some great hills to ride and the roads are less crowded -- make sure you climb up Sugarloaf Mountain Road and Buckhill Road. As for your family, if they enjoy theme parks then there are plenty to chose from...and Busch Gardens (great rollercoasters) isn't too far away over in Tampa. You are also within driving distance of both coasts. The water temperatures will be a little cooler, but we still have plenty of beach days during the winter. The sunsets over the gulf can be spectacular. There is also the Kennedy Space Center in Brevard County which is worth visiting if this is something of interest to you and your family.

Also as skatzman mentioned, Gainesville and Tallahassee have some nice areas to ride, but they don't have the same level of entertainment that Orlando has to offer. However, there are some great areas to canoe and hike if your family likes the outdoors.

If you are interested in doing a group ride in the Clermont area, check out the The Windermere Roadies (http://www.windermereroadies.com/) website for the details and discussion.

One other place that is worth visiting while you are in Florida and that is the city of St. Augustine. It has a great fort there (Castillo de San Marcos) and plenty of history as this is the oldest city in the United States. The winter is a great time to visit as you won't have to deal with the summer heat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

WadePatton
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Must be something to ride around Tallahassee, there were nine riders from there at my last ATB race/festival. One of them placed second in the 50-miler in the North GA mountains. Met two other FL riders there that weekend too.

cycling, beer, fishing--that's my entertainment and I find it most everywhere I go. :cool:

Alan
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks to all for your advice.

Alan

davep
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Totally agree with Skatzman and Keith A. The Clermont area is the best place in Florida to ride, and with Disney and the metro Orlando area attractions also great for the family. Hotels in Clermont are pretty sparse (although they have been getting better in recent years) so you might want to stay closer to Orlando and drive to Clermont for riding. Mount Dora, which is close by, is a pretty and quaint little town, although for my tastes is interesting for about half a day.

One word of warning, although it says Florida on the map I've seen 30 and 40 degree weather in central Florida in December and January (and February and March). Its not every week, but its not uncommon. You'll probably have beautiful weather, but bring your warmers just in case.

Keith A
08-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Dave's correct about the temperatures. The average highs in Dec/Jan are in the low 70's and the average lows are in the low 50's, however we can get a blast of artic air that can drop the temperatures even below freezing. The good news is that this usually only lasts for a couple of days and then it starts to warm up again.

WeTommyD
09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
During February 2006, I cycled Lake Mary (near Orlando) to Daytona and followed the coast to Saint Augustine. It was a wonderful ride except for entering Daytona on the International Speedway Blvd. I am sure there is a safer route into town.

On another day I cycled Jax Beach to Saint Augustine & back all along the coast which is also a good ride.

An idea may be to have your family drop you & your bike at Jax Beach or somewhere along the way and take a two day cycling vacation down the coast to Orlando area.

I have not cycled South Florida but I have heard horror stories from a few other cyclists.

Elefantino
09-01-2008, 12:00 PM
It's cold in Jacksonville in Dec./Jan., particularly in the mornings. The occasional 30s are not uncommon.

I second (third? fourth? fifth?) Clermont. There are great rides out of the parking lot at Lake Minneola and from elsewhere in the area, all available online here. (http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/united-states/fl/clermont)

And it's warmer.

Fixed
09-01-2008, 02:06 PM
orlando has all the family stuff // and hills not far from there
clearwater has the beach and the hills of san antonio an hour away
http://www.sanantoniofla.com/index.php
cheers