PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Review

stuckey
08-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Well I had time to get one short ride, a long ride then a short ride in on my new bike. I would say my long ride was a metric century with he other two thrown in it would be 150 plus on the bike. I need to put my computer on tomorrow before I start putting down serious miles again. I plan to put a few thousand down before the end of October and the snow comes so I will update this more later.

the review... I really like this frame and have not rode anything that compares to it. It climbs well, almost too well. The handling is perfect with and without the handlebar bag. We went with a little different geometry then the BQ norm, a little less headtube angle, decent amount of rake down low. It is low trail along the lines of the later singer stuff. The low fork bend absorbs shock so much better then I would of thought it would. I knew it would help but when I forgot my gloves for one of the rides I did not miss them at all. I do not really know what else to say except this is by far my favorite bike. It is not just that Dave nailed the ride properties but the fit and finish is ten times better then the pictures. If you are looking for a new bike give Dave/Ellis cycles a call. I swear he is the easiest and nicest person I have dealt with in the bike world.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/syndicalist and there is some in the gallery section.

bigbill
08-25-2008, 11:19 PM
The Ellis website is great. My son and I both have the same middle name, Ellis. I like the guy already.

bironi
08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Very nice.

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2008, 10:01 AM
and Mr. Wages waiting list is not measured in years. ! ;)

fiamme red
08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I plan to put a few thousand down before the end of October and the snow comes so I will update this more later.Once the snow comes, you should send it to Jan Heine for a review in BQ. He'll tell you whether the bike "planes." ;)

If I decide to get a custom randonneur, Dave Wages will be on my short list.

stuckey
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
and Mr. Wages waiting list is not measured in years. ! ;)

Not yet. :)

Once the snow comes, you should send it to Jan Heine for a review in BQ. He'll tell you whether the bike "planes." ;)

If I decide to get a custom randonneur, Dave Wages will be on my short list.

Ha, ha, it climbs way better then my last custom but it is stiffer.
I do not think Jan would like my weight weenie component choices.

Smiley
08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
what saddle is on that puppy, thanks

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
what saddle is on that puppy, thanks

Selle Anatomica (http://www.selleanatomica.com/)

http://www.selleanatomica.com/images/P5110011.JPG

Smiley
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
how many frns ?

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey Smiley

only 175 frn ! Why don't you get one and tell me how it feels.

or they are available in Ostrich skin for only 300 frn.

Get one of them too while you are at it.

-----------------------

I'd love to know just how comfortable these are?

Our own So Cal Steve did not find them that palatable.

They claim to have a 30 day return policy, but I have to wonder if they
make you jump thru hoops for a refund.

The experimental slotted Brooks has been receiving mixed reviews.

--------------

Least I know the frame is exemplary work ! ;)

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2008, 07:42 PM
for 300 frn, I'll take a Brooks B17 Ti ....

The quality on these SA's does not appear to be equal to the Brooks.

Wallbike has a 180 day, no quibble return policy on Brooks Saddles.

I do not see any similiar policy on the SA site.
SA is 30 days ???? and call them first before you return it. :confused:

Hey, if they are as comfortable as they claim, how bout a 90 day return
policy?

Least they are made right here in good old USA and not in a sweat
shop in China.

stuckey
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I ordered a cut Brooks Pro a few years back from Selle Anatomica. I have to say it is better then a Brooks but still had the typical break in... It must have been a earlier one because it did not wear funny like the new ones. After that I ordered one of there Titanico saddles and it was ten times better then a Brooks, no break in, and a allen screw to adjust. I have 15000-20000 on that saddle and it is worn with the adjustment screw about to the limit but still comfortable. I have a back up from my last rando bike waiting to replace that one. Anyway I ordered the white one since I liked the other three so much. I will say the white is not perfect since leather dyes white funny. The saddle is just as comfortable as the last after I played with the tension a bit. A side note I am sort of light 162 right now usually 155 in season. This may be why they last so long for me but damn they are the only saddles that keep my nuts from getting numb.

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I think with my weight, The SA would be too flexy.

I had dimples on my Brooks after just 300 miles. ;)

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Early versions of the SA had inverted U plastic strips to hold the
slotted leather up. Do they still employ this support technique?

If there is no support for the saddle in the dimple area,
How does the saddle retain it's shape and not just cave in?

stuckey
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
There is no more plastic strips, I always order the clydesdale version it is just a leather piece glued on the bottom for extra support. I think the tension is what keeps it from caving in. I have not had a problem and have always wondered why also. It just does not seem like it would last but so far so good.

Here is the build list...

Bottle Cages-Nitto
Front Light-Supernova E3
Rear light-Busch and Miller
Fenders-Honjo with a light polish
Bars- Deda 215 deep Drop 42cm Polished center
Bar Tape-Deda
Stem- Dura ace 100mm polished with Dura Ace logo sanded off
Levers- 2008 Campy Record Bolt tuned
Brakes- Paul Touring logos Sanded off, polished with Ti bolts
Cables- Silver Nokons
Front Derailleur- Campy Chorus bolt tuned with Ti and aluminum bolts
Rear Derailleur- Campy Chorus bolt tuned with Ti and Aluminum bolts Silver KCNC jockey wheels
Cranks- Ta Carmina Ta rings KCNC chainring bolts
Seatpost- KCNC Polished and shortened 10cm
Saddle- Selle Anatomica
Front Wheel- Velocity Aerohead, Schmidt hub, Cx-Ray spokes
Rear Wheel-Velocity Aerohead, White Industries M15 hub 130mm axle, CX-Ray spokes, Mavis Lockring, Campy 13-26 cassette

Smiley
08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Ride Man stay away from any saddle with a fault line in it for fear of falling in, u ain't no small guy like Stuckey, fact is u are two Stukeys in one :)

Ahneida Ride
08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice build ! ;)

dnades
08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Sweet frame. Love that front rack with the light and how it all fits with the fenders etc. Nicely thought out. That saddle is interesting. Looks very comfortable. Nice color combination.

Fixed
08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
an aduts bike beautiful
cheers imho :beer: