PDA

View Full Version : Wheel repair ?? Mavic SSC SL

BlackTiBob
08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Any suggestions on repairing my Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels?
I was riding in a group and no one called out a "trench" in the pavement. It was long and narrow trench in asphalt, like 3" wide and 3" deep and 6 feet long. Right into it and almost went down.
Afterwards I noticed click, click, click when applying rear brake. Rear wheel has a few gouges in the braking surface, like you took a screwdriver and etched into the wheel. They are parallel to the spokes and there are "valleys" where it got scrapped and "peaks" alongside the gouges. The peaks obviously hit the brakepads and cause the noise.

What can/should I do?
Use 500 grit and then 1000 grit sandpaper or what?
Can I do myself or would LBS have abetter way to repair?

Thanks for any suggestions.

David Kirk
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I should think you'll be able to sand it and ride it without any problems. Sand it to take off the high spot. You most likely won't be able to sand it to the point where the scratch is gone but that shouldn't matter. Getting the raised part of the gouge off should make work just fine.

Dave

dvs cycles
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Just take off the high spots and you will be fine. As long as nothing is structuraly damaged and it's just scratches.

Dave
08-25-2008, 01:19 PM
You don't need that fine of sandpaper. The new braking surfacing is intentionlly rough. If much metal was raised, you might hit it briefly with 220, then 320-400 (wet).

I occasionally use wet 400 to clean the braking surface on all of my wheels. New wheels can actually benefit from a light sanding to remove small particles of aluminum left from machining the braking surface. These often imbed themselves in the brake pads or even weld to the braking surface.