PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti paint quality

Copper
08-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Any comments on Pegoretti's paint quality? I've seen Italian paint that flakes off when the front derailler is clamped on.

The reason why I am asking is that I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one his bikes (got to get in line) with a custom paint job or simply remove the paint from a new one that I am able to get now. The new one would be sent for a repaint with a more classic look to it. Thanks.

rickygarni
08-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I have three Pegorettis with original paint. The eldest is five years old, I ride it about 1500 miles a year. The paint is in fine shape for all three (the fourth was painted by Joe Bell in CA so that doesn't count.)

It seems to me that if you are to buy a Pegoretti then you should buy a Pegoretti paint job. One is peanut butter, the other is jelly. Together, of course, they are peanut butter and jelly. Only more exotic, but not pretentious. When I can think of a sandwich combination that bests reflects that I will add it to a post. I mean, I guess.

Also worth thinking about: you can obtain a "classic" repaint through many venues. Should you change your mind and decide that you want a Pegoretti paint job, you pretty much have to buy a new frame. It is quite close to impossible to have a frame shipped from the US to Italy to have it repainted.

Have you looked at the Baci (on the Marcelo) or the Why Not (roso) on the Competitive Cyclist gallery? Oh, my stars!

Ricky

Climb01742
08-25-2008, 04:20 AM
over the last five years or so, i've had a number of pegs, and the paint has been top quality on all of them and has held up as swell as any paint. in recent years, dario built and upgraded his in-house paint facility. with the exception of a few designs, peg paint is 100% worry-free these days. :rolleyes:

Aspen
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I have found a Responsorium Ciavte (sp?) that is available now but I dunno about that paint job...

Always thought that I'd buy a Duende but would have to wait a year before it is delivered...

Is there any ride quality difference between the Respo and Duende? That could be the determining factor.

Matt Barkley
08-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Agreed with Climb and others on the paint quality on Pegos is very good - you are buying the pego partially for the paint.

Aspen - Duende is a little heavier and I would say a bit less nimble than the Responsorium. They are similar in overall comfort - duende being a more traditional ride and the Responsorium being a new more-modern interpretation of what a steel bike can be - performance with weight and "stiffness/ efficiency"(for whatever that "quoted comment" is worth) and comfort. :beer: -matt

Climb01742
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Is there any ride quality difference between the Respo and Duende? That could be the determining factor.

for me the difference is night and day. both are less stiff than other pegs, and therefore more comfortable as the hours and miles go by. i found the duende's performance a touch "bland". the respo is anything but. as matt said, it feels sharper, more nimble, more inspiring. there's a velvet feeling to a respo. it isn't for short sharp attacks, but rather for long crisp miles.

PoppaWheelie
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I've owned two Pegs...both were of an earlier vintage (c. 2000). The paint on both was interesting, but of questionable quality. Glad the standards have come up....

amator
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Any comments on Pegoretti's paint quality? I've seen Italian paint that flakes off when the front derailler is clamped on.

The reason why I am asking is that I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one his bikes (got to get in line) with a custom paint job or simply remove the paint from a new one that I am able to get now. The new one would be sent for a repaint with a more classic look to it. Thanks.

They seem varied over the years.
an 07 marcelo (baby blue with the girls) and Love 3 (orange) seem quite notchy with what seemed to be decals rather than painting under the clearcoat.
I had an 05 luigino (faema grey and red) which was decent. My freinds 04 marcelo is very well done. I recently acquired a new Nerac Race peg' in harlequin white which is quite exquisite.

amator
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
I have three Pegorettis with original paint. The eldest is five years old, I ride it about 1500 miles a year. The paint is in fine shape for all three (the fourth was painted by Joe Bell in CA so that doesn't count.)

It seems to me that if you are to buy a Pegoretti then you should buy a Pegoretti paint job. One is peanut butter, the other is jelly. Together, of course, they are peanut butter and jelly. Only more exotic, but not pretentious. When I can think of a sandwich combination that bests reflects that I will add it to a post. I mean, I guess.

Also worth thinking about: you can obtain a "classic" repaint through many venues. Should you change your mind and decide that you want a Pegoretti paint job, you pretty much have to buy a new frame. It is quite close to impossible to have a frame shipped from the US to Italy to have it repainted.

Have you looked at the Baci (on the Marcelo) or the Why Not (roso) on the Competitive Cyclist gallery? Oh, my stars!

Ricky

sadly, the why not' blue Ive seen and touched is decal laden not painted or even airbrushed. Some others claimed that the first batch were airbrushed.

vjp
08-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I understand that the Ciavete is Hand Painted by Dario but are the other designs available painted and decaled under clear or are they painted using stencils and then cleared?

Thanks

vjp

Ángel García
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I hve a duende "faema" deco and paint quality is very good, have had it for two years now. It is a joy to ride.