PDA

View Full Version : For those who wanted to like the Toupe...

Ray
08-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I tried the Specialized Toupe saddle last summer and expected to like it based on its shape. But pretty much hated it for any distance at all. It was ok when I was in a good aggressive position with my hips rolled forward, but if I sat up for any time at all, my sit bones threatened to mutiny. Something about the lack of padding and the flexy shell just didn't work for me. I like to sit up some and just didn't see that working for me.

Anyway, I was in a shop that carries Specialized gear a few weeks ago and saw the Toupes and was thinking of trying one again - it just looked so right. But then I saw the mtb version, the Phenom. Very similar shape, but more padding and a stiffer shell. They have an SL version with ti rails for $145 and a regular version with cro-mo rails for $83. I gave the cheaper version a try (about 40 grams difference - not worth the difference to me since even the heavy one is only 240 grams).

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33936

I love this damn saddle. Very firm padding, sort of like a Rolls, but enough that you don't feel the shell. And the shell is reasonably stiff so its not flexing. Its just the right combination of slightly crowned across the back and pretty close to flat front to back, with only a very minor dip. And the 143 is just the right width for me. The cut-out is neither here nor there for me, but certainly doesn't do any harm. I've done some fairly hard rides where my hips were rolled most of the time and a couple of really easy rides with my daughter where I was sitting up almost the whole time. Very comfortable on all rides so far. Nothing super long, but I don't do super long anymore, so you're on your own there.

I know saddles are insanely personal and what works for one person probably won't work for another. But I think I saw a number of comments about the Toupe that were similar to mine - wanted to like it, seemed like the right shape, but just not quite the right combination of stiff enough and padded enough. If that's you, the Phenom is probably worth a try. They have an SL and gel version in addition to the regular that I got.

-Ray

FATBOY
08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
You are right, the Phenom is great. I like my Toupe alot. But I have less day-after soreness after a day in the dirt with the Phenom...therefore guys that are lucky enough to ride good miles daily might dig it.

John H.
08-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow!- I just got a Phenom SL, I am exited to try it.
Like yourself, I thought the Toupe was too flexy. It felt like you needed to
set the saddle height higher than normal. Also, the toupe seemed to get more flexy with use.
Recently, I have been riding an SLR. Funny saddle- feels great when going hard and also in the drops. Feels terrible if you are sitting up and riding like a tourist.

Ray
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow!- I just got a Phenom SL, I am exited to try it.
Like yourself, I thought the Toupe was too flexy. It felt like you needed to
set the saddle height higher than normal. Also, the toupe seemed to get more flexy with use.
Recently, I have been riding an SLR. Funny saddle- feels great when going hard and also in the drops. Feels terrible if you are sitting up and riding like a tourist.
The website seems to indicate that the SL has a bit less padding than the base model. Other reviews I've read from people with both claim the padding feels identical and the only difference is in the rails, which is where the weight savings comes. I'd be interested in your impressions of the SL.

-Ray