PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Cross Bikes

Ed Moses
08-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Any users of Serotta Cross bikes - either Legend or HSG with pictures to share or advice on configuration options? I am going through the specing/fitting process at the moment and am looking for ideas.

I want the bike to be a general purpose machine - rather than an out and out cross-racer. My idea of "fun" is the Tour of the Cornfields (53 mile sportive using a mix of road, trails and farm tracks) or Paris-Roubaix Sportive - so I am looking to use the machine off and on road.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Pete Serotta
08-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Ed, I have a Concours ti cyclecross that I use for dirt roads and light touring. It has been a good ride for the year I have had it. Have Paul Canti on it and naturally eyelets for fenders and rack. Serotta Andrew and Steve designed it..

Bruce K
08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I also have a Concours Cross.

I race it in Masters 55+ but also use it for fun jaunts through the woods and have ridden it at "Ramble" type events.

When I have let them ride it, it has surprised some of my hard core cross freinds in the way it handles and performs.

I love it.

BK

tuscanyswe
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I really like my legend so far alltho i havent had if for long.

im using it as my messengerbike right now so it did 500 km just this past week.

got it setup with discbrakes and a lower riding position then a normal cross bike. Take a look in the gallery for pics, legend cx disc..

I think its a great do it all bike with the 32 width semi slicks i got on it. But there is no doubt my litespeed roadie feels alot quicker on the pavement.
But i love the fact that u can still beat the commuters in the city, yet take it to the woods and ride trails. Sunshine, wet or snow dont matter really it will be a great bike for most situations.

I rode a cantibrake cross last year and i hated the braking, changed brakes 3 different times, toe in etc nothing helped. They always sucked so i felt it was a lesser bike during winter than my roadie even with the fatter tires i could put on. Disc brakes are awesome for a do it all bike.

Mr. Butterworth
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I have a Coeur d'Acier cross that I love.
Good option because you can get custom paint and geo for not much more than the HSG, I think.

spiderman
08-24-2008, 06:04 PM
i thought i would snap a shot of the uniscasi
set up with a white industries 17t single freewheel
with the ultegra triple up front...
i took a jaunt around the lakes area
hitting my favorite road, gravel and trail areas.
so here it is ... just a little dusty
before i clean it up for the commute to work this week...
(avid shorty cross brakes and dugast 28 cross tires)
--as unconventional as it gets--
but it sure was fun, fast and super smooth!!!

rwsaunders
08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Ed...I had this rig for a while but I had to pare down to a single steed for a time. It was set up for bad roads by the previous owner, but it handled equally as well on the smooth stuff. DA 10-speed with a compact crank for the drive train, mated with SL wheels and 700 X 28 Gatorskins. I liked the low maintenance of the Ti too....lemon pledge wipes. Make sure that you add fender mounts if you really want an all weather bike. I miss that bike on crappy day trips.

Ed Moses
08-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Ed...I had this rig for a while but I had to pare down to a single steed for a time. It was set up for bad roads by the previous owner, but it handled equally as well on the smooth stuff. DA 10-speed with a compact crank for the drive train, mated with SL wheels and 700 X 28 Gatorskins. I liked the low maintenance of the Ti too....lemon pledge wipes. Make sure that you add fender mounts if you really want an all weather bike. I miss that bike on crappy day trips.

Now that looks like the kind of bike I am after - simple, all purpose. Put a set of fenders on it and I would be away.

I have considered disk brakes, but am not sure I want the limitation on my ability to change wheels around - it is quicker to swap a set of wheels that a set of tires for me.

Thank you to all those that have posted and an appeal for similar input from those that have not!

djg
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I dunno if this helps at all -- mine might or might not be a model (it was built for a Serotta employee but never built up, and doesn't have a model name painted on it), but it's built with a centaur compact group (mostly), shimano cantis, and it's been down the road and through a few cross races -- with different wheels than those pictured, and tubular tires -- and it's supposed to race again on Sept. 21.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=24205&highlight=cross

aLexis
08-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Here is a photo of my steel Serotta HSG. In its off-season, it doubles as a grocery fetcher, and shuttle to the swimming pool. My idea of "fun", is an afternoon at Barton Springs with the swim noodle :) .

rwsaunders
08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
A combination bike flag/floatie....what a great idea! :cool:

Bruce K
08-27-2008, 05:36 AM
One problem Alexis, that's your "stunt double" !! :D

How did her season end up?

Is it time to start thinking about doing another "mid-winter training camp" again this year?

BK

aLexis
08-27-2008, 06:54 AM
One problem Alexis, that's your "stunt double" !! :D

How did her season end up?

Is it time to start thinking about doing another "mid-winter training camp" again this year?

BK

She has more scars than I do, so I let her do all my stunt work. My bike got hijacked that day, and I had to ride a Trek Lime :) .

Let me know about camp, we can probably plan something more specific, if more of you want to come.

Bruce K
08-27-2008, 07:41 AM
It is really surprising how many Serotta cross bikes are out there given that it wasn't a high priority for so long.

I just wish I was the same size as Ben Jaques-Maynes. His Sierra Nevada Ottrott cross bikes were very cool.

BK

PS: Alexis, I'll PM you later.

Fixed
08-27-2008, 02:38 PM
serotta should push their cross bikes more imho they look great
aLexis that is a beautiful photo and the bike looks good too imho
cheers :beer:

keithreynolds
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Steel HSG Cx

http://i36.tinypic.com/2e2o7s5.jpg

Mostly SRAM 10
TRP brakes

The steel is very comfortable for (my) suffer-fests lasting less than an hour. I also enjoy it for a mix of off-road and on-road.

Not sure of exact colors other than black and metallic green. If you have a guess I'd be interested in getting some spare paint for down the road...