PDA

View Full Version : Before I do something stupid:

false_Aest
08-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey,

I've got a 1986 Team Fuji (a la Carol Addy ad from the same year) that's been a fixed gear for a few years. After getting hit on my Serotta last week I'm thinking I should build this bike up as a commuter/beater bike.

The frame is stripped and primed--another week and it should be ready to build up.

Before I go scrounging for newer used 105/ultegra stuff to put on this bike I wanted to make sure that I won't run into any issues putting the stuff on an older frame. I can't see why I would but I just wanna be sure.

Thanks
T.

Bill Bove
08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
only issue i can think of would be rear dropout spacing. 8/9/10 speed hubs have an o-o spacing of 130mm, is your frame spaced at 127mm?

false_Aest
08-24-2008, 10:46 AM
It is 127. The frame's steel so I shouldn't have a problem squeezing a modern wheel into it right?

rounder
08-24-2008, 06:43 PM
It is 127. The frame's steel so I shouldn't have a problem squeezing a modern wheel into it right?

You should get the dropouts respaced to 130. It is easy and not problematic for someone who knows what they are doing. I had it done on my old bike a few years ago and it went without a hitch. I am not sure, but believe the new wheels and cassette will not even fit in the frame if you don't respace.

false_Aest
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Who do I send it to to get re-spaced?

I'm looking for cheap.

rcflyboy
08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Take it to a good local bike shop to do. You need the wright alignment tools to make sure the stays on both sides are even or you will have shifting problems.
Shouldn't cost you very much at all.

F.Y.I.: Carol Addy started racing the same year I did at my local club, must have been around 1983. To my surprise at the time she came around me in a sprint to beat me in our first race. She was one great rider. Needless to say I was happy to see her go on to some very good success.

Hardlyrob
08-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Who do I send it to to get re-spaced?

I'm looking for cheap.

Belmont Wheelworks and make Ti Designs do it - it's fun to watch the top of his head turn red. :rolleyes:

markie
08-25-2008, 07:55 AM
I would not bother getting it re-spaced. I've got a couple of conversions that I run the wrong spaced wheels in. It does not worry me at all. As long as it is steel (or Ti) it will be fine.

false_Aest
08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Belmont Wheelworks and make Ti Designs do it - it's fun to watch the top of his head turn red. :rolleyes:

Alas, I moved from Boston to Chicago 3 weeks ago.