PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Rolling Resistance Clinchers?

R2D2
08-24-2008, 05:13 AM
I've been running some TUFO tubular clinchers.
But they just don't roll that fast for whatever reason.
Want to change back to traditonal clinchers.
In the past I've almost always used Michelin Pro Race.
As far as rolling resistance are they about as good as you're going to get?
Or has anyone encountered a spectacular set of clinchers?

Thanks..............

BTW running MAVIC Ksyrium SSC SL2.

Bruce K
08-24-2008, 05:27 AM
The new Pro Race 3's seem pretty smooth.

BK

wasfast
08-24-2008, 06:47 AM
One of the fastest is Veloflex Records with latex tubes. Puncture resistance is another story. For tires of a more "normal" weight, the Pro Races are one of the better choices.

You can find test data on biketechreview.com for rolling resistance of many of the popular tires here:

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm

The 5/11/08 file has the most recent data.

and also here:

http://rouesartisanales.over-blog.com/article-1503651.html

Tufo tires rate as some of the highest Crr according to the data.

dauwhe
08-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Bicycle Quarterly has done numerous tests of this. It's worth picking up a few back issues and reading the articles. Lots of food for thought!

Dave

weiwentg
08-24-2008, 07:47 AM
I've been running some TUFO tubular clinchers.
But they just don't roll that fast for whatever reason.
Want to change back to traditonal clinchers.
In the past I've almost always used Michelin Pro Race.
As far as rolling resistance are they about as good as you're going to get?
Or has anyone encountered a spectacular set of clinchers?

Tufo tubulars and clinchers are tough, but the rolling resistance is horrible.

R2D2
08-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks all.
And your right about TUFOs. They are tough and slow.

alancw3
08-24-2008, 10:47 AM
not sure about rolling resistance but i am sold on conti gp4000's. i am now on my third rear tire and each has lasted between 2300 and 2500 miles before i have changed (like down to the core all around and never had a flat). front will be changed when next rear wears out. best tire i have used in 45 years of cycling. caveat, i have not used the michelin pro race 3 tire but i hear great things about it.

bironi
08-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

Might try these with latex tubes. They are a great ride with butyl.

93legendti
08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

Might try these with latex tubes. They are a great ride with butyl.

Yes, these are nice, as are the Veloflex and the Mich Pro3's. Anything else "feels slow".

palincss
08-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, these are nice, as are the Veloflex and the Mich Pro3's. Anything else "feels slow".

"Feeling fast" isn't necessarily being fast. "Feeling fast" seems to be a matter of ride harshness, vibration and noise.

fierte_poser
08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
"Feeling fast" isn't necessarily being fast. "Feeling fast" seems to be a matter of ride harshness, vibration and noise.

+1

To the OP, apparently the new 4000S (black chili compound) is a big upgrade over the old 4000 compound in terms of rolling resistance.

From my review of the internight, the new Pro Race 3 is ultimate in grip/rolling resistance performance. But, it doesn't last that long. The 4000S is perhaps not as good in terms of ultimate grip/rolling resistance, but it lasts much longer. This is what folks have said.

StefanZ
08-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I have very good experience with Vredestein Fortezzas (need to inflate to 130+ PSI) and Schwalbe Stelvios.

Stefan

rustychisel
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Veloflex Pave or Black are my all time faves, but they run a true 22c so seem too narrow/small for some.

Have a set of Conti GP4000s ready to install but the current Rubino Pro's won't wear out.

jemoryl
08-25-2008, 09:59 AM
So, what percentage of the total power expended can be attributed to rolling resistance from the tires? And how is this measured?

sokyroadie
08-25-2008, 05:38 PM
but the current Rubino Pro's won't wear out.

+1

I actually preferred the Rubino Pro's to the PR2's and run them on most of my wheels. I am going to try the PR3's but it is hard to beat the Rubino's @ $18.00 from PBK.

Jeff

93legendti
08-25-2008, 05:47 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=493988&postcount=16

Yes we are and the Pro3's are the nicest clincher out there no matter what the conditions are.

The Pro3's are the best clincher out there. They require a reverse mount/talc/no tools on carbon rims. Have yet to mount them on an alu rim.

These have all the cornering abilities of the Grip but with a rolling resistance of a Pro2. You won't want to ride anything else after you try these. Durability is what it should be for any tire with high performance characteristics.

Flux

rustychisel
08-25-2008, 06:57 PM
+1

I actually preferred the Rubino Pro's to the PR2's and run them on most of my wheels. I am going to try the PR3's but it is hard to beat the Rubino's @ $18.00 from PBK.

Jeff

Well Rubino Pro's don't give a particularly good ride - it's acceptable - but it's not plush like some other tyres, but they can't be beat for performance and durability.

In terms of durability, I will not have ProRace 2 anywhere near my bike, they cut to ribbons - staggeringly inferior. Can't comment on PR3, I've not tried them.

amator
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Ive swopped out the Rubino Pro's(23) to Pro Race 3(23) and the change is dramatic. Much more springy and they roll more evenly and better dry grip during cornering. I cant comment on the longevity as they are brand new,
It is very similar feel to Veloflex paves which I had on the same rims before (22)