PDA

View Full Version : Re-spacing Phil Wood track hubs

imeself
08-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time general discussion poster. I have a set of Phil Wood high flange track hubs. Is it possible to re-space these from 120mm to 130mm? They have the bolt in axle not the bolt through axle(not sure why I stated that, most on here probably know PW hubs). I guess maybe Phil Wood should be contacted directly? Thanks for the time and effort.

imeself
08-23-2008, 09:40 PM
This thread can die now, I just got my answer. And I still cannot figure out how to delete a post. Thanks.

markie
08-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Ive got a phil wood rear hub set at 130mm. It is possible we could trade axles and ends....

I'll find a picture for you in a little while.

imeself
08-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey Markie,

You posted in my other thread and I think our hubs may be different. If they are the same, that will work if I decide on a frame with 130mm spacing. Here is a link to the harris page that shows the phil hub I have: http://sheldonbrown.com/images/hub-phil.gif

Thanks for the time.

Todd

imeself
08-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Maybe this thread shouldn't die. How wold re-spacing the phil hub change the the chainline? If I went with say, a Cross-Check frame, would that greatly reduce the chainring I could use? I don't expect specifics but maybe a general idea of what the repercussions might be, if any. I have about as much experience as a bike mechanic as I do with dating supermodels. Thanks for the time. Todd

Peter P.
08-24-2008, 05:44 AM
I know this might sound obvious, but you should contact Phil Wood.

I bought a Phil Wood cassette hub and mistakenly spec'd the wrong axle width. They sent me a new endcap for free!

If your hubs are designed like mine, you'll insert a 5mm allen wrench into each end of the axle and turn. The axle and endcap will come off. Screw the new pieces on and you're done. Chainline will be perfect.

imeself
08-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll do that. Thanks to everyone who helped in this thread. Todd