PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Polish and cleaner

legacysti888
08-22-2008, 03:29 PM
What is the best polish and cleaner for bike components? I'd like to polish, maybe even shine my hubs or maybe clean/buff off some minor scratches from my cranks of other alloy/metallic parts of my group/bike.

All advice and suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks and have a great weekend, all! :beer:

Ligero
08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I use Mothers mag wheel polish to polish rims and it works really good. If you want to get scratches out get some 2000 grit sandpaper and use that on the scratches and then polish with Mothers.

fiamme red
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38280

maunahaole
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Simon - I have some mothers polish. If you want to try some let me know and I'll give you a few scoops. Otherwise, it is available at most auto parts stores

legacysti888
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
THANK YOU, FOLKS!

Paul, you are too kind! Methinks I will need a lil more than a few scoops.. :D

Megots PLENTY parts to shine and clean that go waaay back.. :crap:

maunahaole
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
How's about I trade you what I have left (which is most of the container) for the wheel dishing tool? ;)

Needs Help
08-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I don't know if it's the best, but Pedro's Bike Lust does everything I want it to. I use it everywhere on the bike, i.e. the paint and the components. It's silicon based, and the bottle says it protects against UV damage. It leaves a high gloss, slippery finish which makes it easier to clean the next time.

Personally, I don't like car waxes--after drying they leave a white film in hard to reach places. I want something that goes on clear and dries clear.

legacysti888
08-22-2008, 08:56 PM
How's about I trade you what I have left (which is most of the container) for the wheel dishing tool? ;)

Paul, you kill me... :D Have an awesome weekend, buddy!

legacysti888
08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi,

I don't know if it's the best, but Pedro's Bike Lust does everything I want it to. I use it everywhere on the bike, i.e. the paint and the components. It's silicon based, and the bottle says it protects against UV damage. It leaves a high gloss, slippery finish which makes it easier to clean the next time.

Personally, I don't like car waxes--after drying they leave a white film in hard to reach places. I want something that goes on clear and dries clear.

I have tons of Bike Lust and I use them well.. but in this case, it is good for only a good clean! Thanks for the suggestion, bro.. :beer:

wasfast
08-23-2008, 08:12 AM
One thing to note on most aluminum parts. They are anodized so you won't necessarily make them "shiny". The very best shine is garnered from stripping the anodizing and then working through the grits plus polish. The downside is that the surface can oxidize easily. Depending on where you live, this may or may not be a problem. Here's an example from a Colnago I redid a couple years ago:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/garywatts/colnago_super_finished/colnago-finished+001.jpg.html

dogdriver
08-23-2008, 08:43 AM
My bike guru uses "Plexus plastic cleaner" on everything that isn't lubed. Probably a lot like Bike Lust. Works great, makes the next cleanup easy. He's a C1 road racer with two Doctorates (not sure why that matters, but it always gives me confidence in his general well-rounded nature), so I figure that the research is there to back it up...

Just my $.02, Chris

Ahneida Ride
08-23-2008, 11:03 AM
On VeloOrange, there is a product called Simichrome.
Stuff is made in Germany and ain't cheap. But is does work.

If all else fails try this one. It took my Ti end from polish to near
chrome.

My LBS uses Mothers Metal Polish with great results.

SimiChrome at VeloOrange (http://www.velo-orange.com/simepo1.html)

maunahaole
08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
FYI Plexus and Simichrome should be available at most good motorcycle shops, simichrome more likely at a place that serves the harley crowd.

I use plexus on the face shield and it is a great product.

johnmdesigner
08-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Have used this for many years - super on chrome and aluminum.
Use lots of clean rags to clear off the paste and black residue. :D

kestrel
08-26-2008, 06:42 AM
I have used NOXON 7 (cheap stuff) to clean my frame, rub scratches out of parts, and in general restore the luster to metal. I also use a good polish to protect after applications.

ERDR
08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
i have to agree with Mother's. pick it up at any auto shop. cheap, works great and a jar will last for years.
s.

Giff
08-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Simichrome works great as does Flitz. A little of each goes a long way.

stackie
08-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Wasfast alluded to the oxidation problem if you remove the anodizing. I'm just a doc, so I don't much about anodization. Does the anodization go 'deep' enough to allow you to polish out some small stuff without removing the anodization? Or, will polishing at all just open one up to oxidizing?

As far a cleaning, I usually use spray furniture polish. I've done so for years with no visible detriment. Anyone else do this?

Jon

legacysti888
08-26-2008, 01:08 PM
i have to agree with Mother's. pick it up at any auto shop. cheap, works great and a jar will last for years.
s.

Do these chemicals have an expiry date? I forgot I had a Meguier's X-Scratch I had bought a couple years ago and tried to use it last weekend. Let's just say it ruined a small portion of my car.. :crap:

legacysti888
08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I tried Mother's mag wheel cleaner and am amazed at the final outcome. Will shoot some pics and share the comparision soon.

wasfast
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Wasfast alluded to the oxidation problem if you remove the anodizing. I'm just a doc, so I don't much about anodization. Does the anodization go 'deep' enough to allow you to polish out some small stuff without removing the anodization? Or, will polishing at all just open one up to oxidizing?

As far a cleaning, I usually use spray furniture polish. I've done so for years with no visible detriment. Anyone else do this?

Jon

Anodizing is additive to the surface. It's aluminum oxide which is quite hard (Rc68-70 if that means anything to you, as hard as a file) but very thin, less than .001" generally.

Anodizing doesn't really polish up very well. Whether you go through the anodizing completely depends on what the aggression of application/grit.

stackie
08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
So, it sounds like even a gentle polishing substance such as Mother's etc. that have been recommended here will be removing the anodizing if they do anything at all. Correct?

Jon

ciclisto
08-28-2008, 12:42 AM
simichrome is good but Maas Metal Polish found in boat stores is a marine product and your aluminum will look like chrome. Trick is to use paper towels then a clean white cotton cloth.