PDA

View Full Version : Horse Farm Hundred

Elefantino
10-25-2004, 06:43 PM
So I'm pulling out from the last rest stop yesterday with 27 miles to go to Gainesville, and my "A Team" jersey is recognized by ... RA! She started about 40 minutes after we did, time trialed all the way and caught up at 75 miles. Not bad.

Anyway, so we're talking and riding, and all of a sudden I realize that we have dropped my group. I look back to find where they are and ... there goes RA!

Note to RA: We finally got around those veterinarian folks and humped the speed up. Almost caught you in Micanopy — you looked back after the right turn and saw us closing — but then we ran into ... get this ... traffic! By the time we crawled through Micanopy, you were long gone. You rock!

Nice to meet you, though. Next up for the A Team is the Horrible Hundred in Clermont, then nothing big until TOSRV.

Mike

PS: To the rest of the board. Rode my backup bike — the DeBernardi — for the century and, for the first time since my various surgeries, my back didn't hurt afterward! Could this be the noodly Columbus SLX effect? Is it really more comfortable than the CSi? Have I reached a crisis of conscience? Am I on the verge of being banned?

RABikes2
10-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Horse Farm 100 was a great ride! :) Absolutely beautiful day, excellent temperature, great course, picturesque scenery, and super sags.
It was great meeting you, too, Elefantino! Yep, it took me longer than I expected to get to Gainesville; I planned for a 2 1/2 hr. drive and got sick, so it added to my travel time. I began 40 minutes late, and when I started out, my intentions were not to be the last person at the sags. :no: Well, anal behavior here and I eventually started passing people...and then more. I rode the entire ride, pulling myself, no draft, nobody passed me :D ...time trialed. It was a (mental) accomplishment that wasn't planned. When I read the new posts, "Best Century Ride" and "Anytime you have a safe, trouble-free ride..." I couldn't decide which one to put Sunday's ride into.

Since BMB, I cut back my distance training and started doing shorter (30's & 40's), faster rides. Pushing myself on overall speed. A 100 miler is my favorite training ride and I wanted to work on getting more efficient and consistent on them. Boy, what a surprise to me to test out what my training has been doing! Yahoo!!!! :D

At the first sag, I saw an A-Team shirt on a guy, Paul (?), and met two of your buddies. When the ride director posts the 2004 HF photos, there should be a photo of us together! :p When I met you coming out of the 3rd sag, we were talking, you turned around to yell to your buds, I kept riding and thought you were right behind me. A few secs down the road, I turned to realize you weren't there, and thought you all decided not to hang with me. Oops, sorry, I just kept riding! I got in at 3:25, ate, changed clothes, and had to get on the road for the drive back north. My son was going to be home at 7:00. I'd like to come down for the Horrible Hundred, if I do, let's ride! I absolutely love the hills and courses around the Clermont area. Trained and raced there many times over the years.

It was great meeting you Elefantino! BUT NEXT TIME I'D LIKE TO SEE YOUR SEROTTA BETWEEN YOUR LEGS YOUNG MAN!! :p If we're riding together and your back starts bothering you, your "temporary" licensed massage therapist (me) will be on hand!

RA
Forgot to rate the ride...9 out of 10. And it's a 9 and not a 10 ONLY because, AGAIN, the saddle bruised the daylights out of me :crap: :crap: aughhhhhhhh! Where, oh where, is my dream saddle?!?! Next saddle, please. :confused:

vaxn8r
10-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Elephantino, you wrote

PS: To the rest of the board. Rode my backup bike — the DeBernardi — for the century and, for the first time since my various surgeries, my back didn't hurt afterward! Could this be the noodly Columbus SLX effect? Is it really more comfortable than the CSi? Have I reached a crisis of conscience? Am I on the verge of being banned?

Though we ride Atlantas, not CSi, this is what Shino and I have been saying. I have not found my Atlanta very comfortable on rides over 60-65 miles. I just come home kind of beat up on 70-80 milers. This in contrast to just about every other bike I've ever owned. I've done 3 double centuries without a problem. Wheels are interchangeable with my other rides so it isn't that either. Surprisingly, I have done multiple 70-90+milers this year on my CAAD 7 with Kyrium SL and feel like I could keep going all day on it.

It's a fun bike but it does wear me down after a awhile.

Thoughts?

Elefantino
10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
I also noticed that I can sprint a lot better on my CSi than I can on my Deebee. Stiffer bottom bracket, obviously. And I'm sure that has something to do with the long-distance ride quality, so it's a trade-off.

For local club rides in the 30-50-mile range, when I want to hang with the big boys, the CSi is the steed. I get that big 180 crank spinning and I feel like Jan.

It's nice to have choices!

Mike

Kevin
10-28-2004, 05:44 AM
For local club rides in the 30-50-mile range, when I want to hang with the big boys, the CSi is the steed. I get that big 180 crank spinning and I feel like Jan.

Mike

My CSi did not come with the Jan dougnut holder for the Krispy Kremes. When did Serotta start offering this option?

Kevin :banana:

Elefantino
10-28-2004, 07:47 PM
It's an aftermarket part. You mean you don't have one?