PDA

View Full Version : Trainers

RobertP
01-08-2004, 02:50 PM
My trainer an old magnetic Ascent just died. Any suggestions for a replacement?

My main criteria (by priority) are:

1) durable
2) folding
3) fair amount of resistance control
4) quiet enough to watch TV
5) reasonably cheap

I'm leaning towards one of the Performance Millenium Trainers right now, but have not heard much about them in terms of actual use.

Looking forward to your responses.

-Robert:D

Ozz
01-08-2004, 03:20 PM
I have a really old Performance trainer, and although it does the job well enough, it is pretty noisey. It does not have a magnetic resistance unit however - I think it is just a friction unit??

If I was going to replace it, I would look at the Kurt Kinetics (about $400) or the newer Elite units with the "Elasto-Gel " rollers ($250 to $350). Both are supposed to be nice and quiet.

Both are fluid rollers. Kurt has supposedly solved the problem of leaks, I don't know about the Elite ones.

I don't know if these fit all your qualifications - specifically price.

This dilemma reminds me of the saying about cycling products: "Light, strong & cheap - you can pick two."

RobertP
01-08-2004, 03:22 PM
I want strong and cheap. Light is not really a factor here.

Brian
01-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I've been using the 1up USA trainer for two years now and love it! It's smooth, quiet, extremely well-made and folds nice and flat. It's also very easy to adjust.

Check it out: http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

davids
01-08-2004, 03:33 PM
I got the CycleOps Fluid trainer for about $240, from PricePoint. I'd say it meets your criteria.

There's no such thing as a trainer I like, but I'm statisfied that it does its job well.

Good luck!

RobertP
01-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know of any issues with riding out of the saddle with a trainer? I was reading an earlier post about this being an issue with the Ottrott. I'm using my Legend Ti St on the trainer now.

Kevin
01-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer. It is great. Relatively quiet. It simulates road resistance pretty well as you go through the gears. Its pretty stable. Its bullet proof and maintenance free. What more can you want from a trainer?

Robert P,

I made the earlier post regarding the Ottrott and the trainer. I sent an e-mail to Serotta and asked if I could use the Ottrott ST on the trainer. I was told that it was ok as long as I did not ride out of the saddle while on the trainer. Serotta did not say why there was a restriction and I did not ask. Send them an e-mail about the Legend and the trainer and see what they say.

Kevin