PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway- Blackbear Adventures

Ti-Boy
08-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Anyone do the 10 day entire BRP with Blackbear Adventures? Is it worth the coin?

jbrainin
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Two people with whom I did Trek Travel's cross-country trip last year had done the 10 day Black Bear Blue Ridge Parkway trip and had nothing but good things to say about it. Two other people from my xc trip are doing the Black Bear Blue Ridge Parkway trip next month. One mentioned that the trip cost seemed quite reasonable.

John
08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I did most of the BRP and SKyline drive last summer, self supported. There are enough facilities, campgrounds and food options that it can be done in sections with a very light pack. It did take me a bit longer, but I had few time constraints. I saw Black Bear and spoke with some of the operators and riders. Friendly buch, easy going and knowledgabel. Seemed like a real nice way to do it, too......and someone is always there to SAG.

I plan on heading back and doing it north to south as a light tour, staying at inns on or just off the parkway, with a night or two of bivying.

If your thinking Skyline and BRP, check out "Bicycling the Blue Ridge Parkway", I found it to be a great resource.

Ti-Boy
08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
This trip sounds great. There was nice write up (diary) in Bicyling a while back. But, I always look for first hand feedback for the little details that can make a trip great or frustrating. Self supported in not an option for me. Thanks for the responses.

davidlee
08-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I've never done a Blackbear tour but I've ridden with, and known the owner, Paul Wood, for twenty years . He is a top class guy, amazing rider/racer and I would trust my life with the guy.
All my friends who have toured with him said that their trips have been nothing short of perfect.
You should go.
Best
david lee