PDA

View Full Version : SPAM and NEW USER IDs

Pete Serotta
08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Spam is coming faster than I can lock out the IDs. As a result, I am implementing a "validate" for new users. Hopefully I can lift this in not the too distant future.

This will be a "pain" for someone looking to register but hopefully I can turn around the Ids in a few hours...

Sorry for the inconvenience. PETE

Volant
08-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Doesn't that suck?! We're dealing with the same thing at my company. Last month we received over 218,000 spam e-mails. Most caught through filtering software, fortunately. The rest is wasting employees time sifting through it. Talk about a productivity killer! :crap: :crap: :crap:

Pete Serotta
08-21-2008, 05:47 AM
Yep, it is really a pain!. I just deleted the SPAM IDs from last evening and "freed" the valid (I hope) IDs.

Will check a few times a day in order to keep the new members wait time to a minimum,

PETE

avalonracing
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Too bad you have to do the extra work but it will be helpful.
I will miss the great deals on cell phones, iPods and the hottest chicks in eastern Europe.

Pete Serotta
08-21-2008, 10:44 AM
as well as me :D

Too bad you have to do the extra work but it will be helpful.
I will miss the great deals on cell phones, iPods and the hottest chicks in eastern Europe.

benb
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I totally forgot about the validation since I registered.. did the site have CAPTCHAs before and now you are emailing each person to verify?

CAPTCHAs (the software that shows you a distorted set of letters/numbers in an image) were broken earlier this year.. that's what we're seeing.. the spammers are able to automate beating those now.

Ahneida Ride
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I am just surprised that the Phorum was not inundated with spams
earlier.

I accidentally clicked on one of the spams the other day and WOW !!!!!

Ahneida Ride
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
One potential solution is to send em back a validating e-mail with a
question .... for example ....

Who was the 14 president of the United States?

Change the question once a week.

They have to do some work to get the answer correct.

benb
08-21-2008, 11:59 AM
That ought to do it.. most of them are simply computer programs.

Pete Serotta
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
we still have this - as well as they must enter a date for birthdate. The latest pre-review before they can post is the last item in the arsenal. They are relentless.

I totally forgot about the validation since I registered.. did the site have CAPTCHAs before and now you are emailing each person to verify?

CAPTCHAs (the software that shows you a distorted set of letters/numbers in an image) were broken earlier this year.. that's what we're seeing.. the spammers are able to automate beating those now.

avalonracing
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
One potential solution is to send em back a validating e-mail with a
question .... for example ....

Who was the 14 president of the United States?

Change the question once a week.

They have to do some work to get the answer correct.

Or make it a question from the Serotta website...
HSG stands for:
:rolleyes:

fiamme red
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
HSG stands for:
:rolleyes:Or, CSi stands for:_______

Could anyone answer that question? :rolleyes:

jel
08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
This is why I love being a mod on another forum -- there is a spam filter that will cause NEW USERS (3 or fewer posts) to have their posts automatically blocked if they contain certain keywords. The posts can only be seen by the moderators and admins, it's up to them to either delete or allow the post. I'd bet it has cut our spam by 95%.

Marcusaurelius
08-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Hmm, CSI, Culturally Siginifcant Improvement (to cycling of course).

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2008, 10:19 AM
HSG stands for:
:rolleyes:

Brilliant .....

The first question should then be ...

What does CSi stand for?

:D ;) :confused: :beer: :banana:

Seriously I love this idea !

--------

Ok OK I am a jerk ... I got beaten to the punch .... Sorry !!!!!

dave thompson
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
helloreplica.com provides a wide array of Replica Watches (http://www.helloreplica.com) and professional
customer sevrice, our goal is to make every customer 100% satsfied. We are more than ready
to show our unique prowess and fortes to gain our footing. And we also provide fast
delivery service, we guarantee our listing price is lower than other competitor. welcome
to oursite Replica Rolex Watches (http://www.helloreplica.com) Rolex Watches (http://www.helloreplica.com) Rolex Watch (http://www.rolex2u.com) Breitling Watches (http://www.helloreplica.com)
This boy is the poster child for this thread!

csm
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
kinda funny isn't it?

Pete Serotta
08-25-2008, 02:20 PM
:crap: :crap:

This boy is the poster child for this thread!

Dekonick
09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
What is a FRN?

What is the present value in twinkies?

Why does Sandy have a naked poster of Kevin on his bathroom wall?

:p :banana: :beer: