PDA

View Full Version : cycling orthoics

deechee
10-25-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm wondering how many of you use orthotics for your cycling shoes. I've been battling plantar fasciitis for a while now, but starting to notice that sometimes my heel flares up after just biking. I'm contemplating orthotics for my cycling shoes but I don't have a lot of confidence in my podiatrist...

Tom
10-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Two summers straight I was out with plantar fascitis. My first podiatrist made things worse. My second fixed things, and also fitted me for bike orthotics when I started biking a lot.

My doc is a rider himself. It's important that your doc is smart and also understands what you do.

Ken Robb
10-25-2004, 12:32 PM
I had this and it developed into heel spurs. Mine was from playing too much tennis on cement courts. Orthotics helped but I needed cortisone injections and no tennis for a month to cure it. I gave up tennis after my second knee surgery and my feet are fine now. Stretching your hamstrings frequently helps too.

Bruce K
10-25-2004, 01:47 PM
deechee;

Where are you located?

If in NEw England there are several options, Orthpedist, a good ski boot cycling fitter may also be a good orthotics guy, or Foot Fitness / Bii Peterson in Middletown, RI.

Bill is a great resource (but not cheap) and makes the orthotics while you wait.

BK

Russ
10-25-2004, 03:08 PM
I actually use orthotics for riding and running... But not because I have had major problems, but to make things better.

When running, I use them every other day I run. But I always use my riding orthotics! I think they have helped me a lot. I no longer get numb toes or anything and my Sidi shoes feel very comfortable.

My father is an avid runner and he had seroius plantar fascitis.... it is now gone after he is using custom insoles.

We have both gone to see Russ Bollig in Boulder, CO. Russ is the fellow that has done custom orthotics for many top pro athetles, including Lance Armstrong. I recommend him very much!

Good luck

eddief
10-25-2004, 03:13 PM
http://www.wellfeet.com/index.htm

He made my cycling orthotics and did a great job for me and my feet.

Climb01742
10-25-2004, 03:24 PM
be sure to find someone who knows about cycling footbeds. running orthodicts are meant to be flexible. cycling ones should be rigid. two different animals. one inexpensive place to start might be...check velonews archives...a few issues ago lennard zinn touted some inexpensive do-it-yourself style footbeds that he really dug...before shelling out hundreds on custom ones. my footbeds help me alot. but it takes someone knowledge.

JohnS
10-25-2004, 03:28 PM
If you want to try the cheap approach first, get the Superfeet "grey" insoles. They cured my plantar fascitis.

deechee
10-25-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm in the wonderfully cold area of Montreal, Quebec. I guess the main point here is to get a second opinion. anyone know anything about this place? Its relatively close by (I think).
http://www.fitwerx.com/NewFiles/FitandPositioning.html

Climb01742
10-25-2004, 03:47 PM
being where you are, another option is find someone who makes ski/snowboarding footbeds. very much like cycling ones. the guy who made my cycling ones is, first and foremost, a skier/boarder. a thought, anyway.

Dekonick
10-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Dsquared made me a couple of sets - I am still waiting for one pair of shoes...but the other pair I have are fantastic!

Your feet are pretty darned important. I absolutely love my D2 shoes + orthotics. Extremely light, stiff, and most important of all - comfortable! They seem to almost not exist when riding... it is as if your feet become one with the pedal. It truly is an amazing difference. A tad expensive, but these shoes are supposed to last years - and they are custom to each foot!

I used to have numbness, hot spots, etc (even after 'top' fitters placed my cleats...)

I therefore got custom orthotics and shoes. I had Smiley place my cleats, and make minor adjustments to my bike and VOILA - pain free riding.

Get em! :D

Kevin
10-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I went with custom shoes, Rocket 7s. Very comfortable and they eliminated many of my knee issues.

Kevin

deechee
10-26-2004, 09:47 AM
well I've found a couple places to call in the area and I'll definitely ask about ski/snowboard specialties. Thanks everyone for all the responses!

Regarding Rocket7's I actually did have a pair made for me a while back but was never comfortable in them (I found them too tight with socks, and without socks they really dug into my feet and I got hotspots EVERYWHERE.) I supose its worth a shot to just send them back for mods; they're not even sure if they can do the custom orthotic thing unless they see the specific model but I'm a little iffy about putting more money into those shoes.

There seem to be a lot of great referrals to places that can do mail-order work; have any of you tried that route? I feel a little odd having orthotics made without meeting the other person...

ps. I looked up the velonews/Lennard Zinn article, thanks. His main dealings seem to be with a Russel Bollig, who once again is far, far away. Maybe I should go to a training camp in Colorado...

Kane
10-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Look at Doug Erenberg's website, http://www.wellfeet.com/index.htm, as per the previous suggestion. I used to work with Doug and I was there when Lance flew in from Texas for his orthotic fitting.

The only good step in the box system is Doug's where the big toe is strapped, otherwise those systems are a big guess at best.

Truly, the gold standard for orthotics is to have a light cast made by the podiatrist to produce a mold of your foot to press out the orthotics under heat and pressure. Good Luck.

Kane