PDA

View Full Version : Nice Litespeed story

LegendRider
08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I saw a brand-new 2008 Litespeed Icon on Craigslist for $1,500. Since it's a $3,500 frameset, I was suspicious. But, if it was legit, I figured I could flip it for a nice little profit. I called Litespeed with the serial number the seller gave me and they confirmed it was stolen. Shortly thereafter a detective called and the next thing I know Litespeed was thanking me for helping them recover the frame. They even asked the local rep to give me a deal on a frame as a "reward." Pretty cool.

chuckred
08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I saw a brand-new 2008 Litespeed Icon on Craigslist for $1,500. Since it's a $3,500 frameset, I was suspicious. But, if it was legit, I figured I could flip it for a nice little profit. I called Litespeed with the serial number the seller gave me and they confirmed it was stolen. Shortly thereafter, a detective called and the next thing I know Litespeed was thanking me for helping them recover the frame. They even asked the local rep to give me a deal on a frame as a "reward." Pretty cool.

for the world's dumbest criminals!

michael white
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I saw a brand-new 2008 Litespeed Icon on Craigslist for $1,500. Since it's a $3,500 frameset, I was suspicious. But, if it was legit, I figured I could flip it for a nice little profit. I called Litespeed with the serial number the seller gave me and they confirmed it was stolen. Shortly thereafter a detective called and the next thing I know Litespeed was thanking me for helping them recover the frame. They even asked the local rep to give me a deal on a frame as a "reward." Pretty cool.

that is a cool story. And it sounds like Litespeed was all over that one. . . what you're saying is that they had that particular bike marked stolen, and that when you called with the serial no. they basically did the detective work to sic the police on the thief? That seems quite remarkable for a bike company!

LegendRider
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
that is a cool story. And it sounds like Litespeed was all over that one. . . what you're saying is that they had that particular bike marked stolen, and that when you called with the serial no. they basically did the detective work to sic the police on the thief? That seems quite remarkable for a bike company!

I'm not sure if the frame was stolen from the factory (the seller was very close to Chattanooga) or from a retailer. But, the idiot seller gave me the serial number! Litespeed quickly identified the bike as stolen. The detective didn't tell me how the frame was retrieved, but he had the serial number, Craigslist ad along with the seller's name and phone number.

Litespeed was very cool throughout the entire process. And, as I mentioned, they've gone out of their way to get me a deal on a frame (though I won't take them up on it because I simply don't need more bikes...)

Peter P.
08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for posting Litespeed's thanks and reward offer. It's always good to hear a company that is responsive and appreciative of it's customers.

Alexi
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I've head that a certain Zank has done something very similar

avalonracing
08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Kudos to you and for Litespeed.
To the seller who gave you the serial... Duh! :no:

LegendRider
08-21-2008, 09:10 AM
One funny tidbit - when I called the seller, it became immediately clear he wasn't a cyclist when he asked if I was going to put "Eye-talian wheels" on it...

Jeff N.
08-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Kudos to you and for Litespeed.
To the seller who gave you the serial... Duh! :no:Could it be possible the seller didn't know the bike/frame was "hot"? Probably not likely...

mikki
08-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I hear so many "stolen bike" stories out here that it does my heart good to hear a happy result like this. If something like this ever happens to one of us, we should learn from this incident and contact the manufacturer.

Wonder if the original owner is getting his bike back? It was just the frame that the dude was selling on craigslist? Wouldn't it be awesome if the owner sues the thief in court to recover the entire cost of replacing all of the parts?