PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Ceramic BB Bearing Experiences

dschlichting
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
OK, so hold those FSA flames . . . my Team Issue Mega Exo has worked beautifully on my Spectrum touring bike for the last year and a half --right up until the time the groaning/squeaking racket started 2 weeks ago. Yes, I've been through the usual torque checks: chainring bolts, crank arm fixing bolt, pedals, seat, stem/handlebars, QR, etc.
So if I end up replacing the bearings . . . does anyone have any real life experience with some of the aftermarket units that we see advertised: F1, Enduro or VCRC?

Bill Bove
08-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I put Ceramicspeed ceramic bearings in one of my Record UT bikes a year and a half ago. Worth every cent. The UT BB spins so smoothly on it it's own but when you drop those sweet glass balls in there it's like free speed, well 225 bucks worth of free speed, call it more speed. I don't have one of those fancy power meters but I'm sure I picked up a couple of watts with them.

bostondrunk
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
I put Ceramicspeed ceramic bearings in one of my Record UT bikes a year and a half ago. Worth every cent. The UT BB spins so smoothly on it it's own but when you drop those sweet glass balls in there it's like free speed, well 225 bucks worth of free speed, call it more speed. I don't have one of those fancy power meters but I'm sure I picked up a couple of watts with them.

Bill,

Do you have to service (lube) the ceramic bearings more often than regular bearings? Is it easy to do on the Campy cranks?
Thanks