PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Only Bike Shop...

Jeffie
10-25-2004, 10:50 AM
What if someone in your area opened up an accessory only bike shop?

This bike shop carries a large selection of clothing, helmets, shoes, trainers, racks, wheels, lights, etc - basically everything except new bikes and repair. Shop would match all internet prices...

Do you think this shop would survive? What if this shop also focused on selling online (ie ebay)?

All comments appreciated.

Kevan
10-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Price isn't everything. I think it would only work if you maintained a larger variety of inventory than a regular bike shop offers.

Jeffie
10-25-2004, 11:08 AM
That is the point...with no bikes in the store, lots more room/$$$ for clothing/accessories. Picture Excel/CC but all right in front of you to try on and at the same price.

Kevan
10-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Please don't open one near me!

Russ
10-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Great idea! I will see if I can get the capital to open up my shop down here.... I would certainly have a mail order side to it, however. :)

bcm119
10-25-2004, 11:39 AM
There is a shop similar to what you describe in Santa Barbara. I used it exclusively to buy clothes, because he had such a large selection and there were always sales on something. He only sold clothes/shoes, and some basics like tubes, tools and a few pedals. But for clothing it was the best, I never bothered with any of the 5 or 6 other traditional shops.

TmcDet
10-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Great idea! I will see if I can get the capital to open up my shop down here.... I would certainly have a mail order side to it, however. :)

I would think the mail order side of it would be a must to move the volume that you would need to move

dts
10-25-2004, 02:05 PM
We have one: The Rest Stop in Sacramento.

Jeffie
10-25-2004, 02:35 PM
dts- does The Rest Stop have a website? I googled it and didn't find one.

What do you like most about that shop? What do you like least?

So, maybe a bigger question is: If products have to be sold at a fixed price, and selection is the same, how do you get people to buy from you? I'm thinking more from a web-based business now. Free shipping/Energy Bars/Tubes/Bottles???

Ken Robb
10-25-2004, 02:37 PM
I think that the mark-up on clothes and accessories is quite a bit higher than it is on complete bicycles and they don't take up as much floor space per $$ of inventory so it's probably a sound idea for a business.

jberk
10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
the problem though will be driving traffic--what do you do to replace the group that comes in to drop off the bike for a repair and takes the time to look at the latest toys?

dirtdigger88
10-25-2004, 03:30 PM
:no: I don't like it

Jason

Bill Bove
10-25-2004, 04:42 PM
A running shoe store around here is advertising it's new cycling clothes dept. I don't sell sneakers, where's he get off steeling my business. Guess I'll just have to focus on inventory, knowledge and service to sell mine. :rolleyes:

TmcDet
10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
A running shoe store around here is advertising it's new cycling clothes dept. I don't sell sneakers, where's he get off steeling my business. Guess I'll just have to focus on inventory, knowledge and service to sell mine. :rolleyes:

I don't think you will lose much business to a running shoe store. We have a place like that here that sells PI clothing but they are more expensive than the local bike shops....I would much rather go into a bike shop to look around then a sneaker shop.

Smiley
10-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Its been done and its called Terry Bicycles , I don't think Georgiana sells bikes anymore , yeah she has them in her catalog but what bike shop carries them , with every bike company now having a Womens Specific geometry bike now . Besides Terry is laughing her way to the bank selling womens clothes and I cry my way to the bank when my wife gets the catalog and just has to buy the latest matching outfits . Good thing Terry does not have too many his and her outfits or I could never be seen in public , coming honey :banana: :banana:

Bill Bove
10-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Its a Good thing Terry does not have too many his and her outfits or I could never be seen in public , coming honey :banana: :banana:
Ah Smiley, men look good in pink! No, really! :D

Tom Robison
10-25-2004, 06:39 PM
There is a shop similar to what you describe in Santa Barbara. I used it exclusively to buy clothes, because he had such a large selection and there were always sales on something. He only sold clothes/shoes, and some basics like tubes, tools and a few pedals. But for clothing it was the best, I never bothered with any of the 5 or 6 other traditional shops.

Do you recall the name of the store? I'd like to check it out.

Tom

itsalldark
10-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Sounds to me like you don't have any great bike shops in your area. My local shop not only does a fantastic job on the bike side of things( I believe they are a top ten serotta dealer ) they carry tons of acc. and oh so much clothing. Assos, Descente, Terry, Zoot, Castelli just to name a few, and they have lots of it!!! With the crazy way cycling apperal fits it is a pleasure to deal with guys who know what going on in regards to fit, and also to be able to try the stuff on and see if it fits correctly.

dts
10-25-2004, 10:42 PM
dts- does The Rest Stop have a website? I googled it and didn't find one.

What do you like most about that shop? What do you like least?

No web site as far as I know. But here's the phone number, if you want to call: (916) 453-1870. You'll get a friendly response, I'm sure.

Best: I've seen them run a sag wagon as far away as Death Valley. That's almost 600 miles from here!

Other good stuff: Broadest selection I've seen anywhere of small tools and small parts (fittings, nuts and the like), lights, energy foods, tires, and all things ergonomic. Every lube on the market, bar tape, and under-tape foam,too. Many brands of shoes. They make custom footbeds, like ski shops. Lots of bike books, including everything in print on rides in northern California. The most relaxed and customer friendly staff of any retail store of any kind I know. They're more interested in my rides than in my bike.

When I brought a new frame home last winter, I needed a clear vinyl chainstay protector. Should be easy to find, but is not. I tried every bike shop in Davis, then every bike shop in Sacramento, and then remembered The Rest Stop. Which had it, of course, because that's what they do.

Like least? What's not to like? I just hope they stay in business as long as I can stay upright on two wheels. Honestly, there is nothing I do not like about The Rest Stop.

Don't really understand how they stay in business. I'm a loyal customer and spend no more than $100 there a year.

Duplicate this everywhere, Jeffie, and we'll all be in your debt.

Kurt
10-28-2004, 04:01 PM

you are talking about big gear, right? did you use to live in sb?

bcm119
10-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Big Gear Bike Gear, right. Great shop for clothing. Its small but crams alot of accessories in.
Its right on State street before it goes under the 101 underpass going towards the ocean.

Kurt, yes I used to live in SB, we talked last year about riding together but it never happened... do you still have that saddle for sale?

Kurt
10-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Big Gear Bike Gear, right. Great shop for clothing. Its small but crams alot of accessories in.
Its right on State street before it goes under the 101 underpass going towards the ocean.

Kurt, yes I used to live in SB, we talked last year about riding together but it never happened... do you still have that saddle for sale?

now I know who you are, I did not put 2+2 together. yep, I still have the seat, too busy to deal with it. are you coming down this way anytime soon or should I box it up - shoot me a mail.