PDA

View Full Version : your other workout

Fixed
08-19-2008, 07:24 AM
bro what do you cats do other than cycling ?
me i swim here is one i do 3 x a week warm but 1000 .5x 100 on the 1:30
100 x1:30
X 1:25
X 1:20
X 1:15
X 1:10
x 1:15
X 1:20
X 1:25
X 1:30
500 catchup
10X 50 on 1 min
cool down 500
and i am done in a little over an hour cheers
other days weights

paczki
08-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Pyramids on the rowing machine. They hurt but they seem to be good for the cycling.

znfdl
08-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Concept 2 rowing machine for 1 hour, with numerous intervals

paczki
08-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Concept 2 rowing machine for 1 hour, with numerous intervals

Have you found they help with the cycling other than general aerobic fitness? I've been having a bit more pop on steep hills and I've been chalking it up to intervals on the Concept 2 -- but it might just be my imagination.

Fixed
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
i would bet it helps your sprinting too
cheers imho

konstantkarma
08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Chasing my 2 and 4 year old boys around! Oh, and occasionally we kick a soccer ball around the yard.

rnhood
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I also swim, at least three times a week. About a mile each time - changing the profile somewhat. Often I swim with our local tri club but, sometimes with masters.

Cycling and swimming are both great activities. I used to play racquetball regularly but, this was many moons ago.

William
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Have you found they help with the cycling other than general aerobic fitness? I've been having a bit more pop on steep hills and I've been chalking it up to intervals on the Concept 2 -- but it might just be my imagination.

No doubt about it, yes it does.

William

false_Aest
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Once my knee gets a bit better I'll be rockin the plyometrics 3 days a week and spending 2 days at the gym.

. . .

93legendti
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Chasing my 2 and 4 year old boys around! Oh, and occasionally we kick a soccer ball around the yard.

Tell me about it. I have a 2 1/2 year boy old who is fast, strong and fearless -I have the bumps to prove it. We "wrestle" every night for ~30 minutes, to wear him out for bed. Cycling is easy compared to wrestling with him!

rustychisel
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I smoke about 15 a day... :no:

jbl
08-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Running and, when I had access to them, Concept 2 rowers. I actually started out running before I got into cycling. Now I just go out 2-3x for 8-10 miles. I tend to run more in the winter and cycle more in the summer.

The rower is great, just be sure you work on technique too, not just yanking the bars toward your chest. Hm. Might be time to join a gym again...

znfdl
08-19-2008, 09:49 AM

As William said, yes it has definitely helped climbing, especially when I am out of the saddle. It has also helped when I prefer climbing seated with a higher cadence. Last year training for RAAM, I was able to increase my climbing by 3-5 mph without any loss in weight.

paczki
08-19-2008, 09:51 AM
be sure you work on technique too, not just yanking the bars toward your chest. Hm. Might be time to join a gym again...

For anyone into rowing I strongly recommend you go to the Concept 2 site and get their free DVD tutorial. It's useful on technique, but more importantly it's unintentionally hilarious.

tbushnel
08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Any good source of info on technique, or is that something you have to learn in person/from a coach? There is a rowing machine at the small gym that I go too and I would like to use it when I can't be on the bike, but I've never known exactly what I was doing with it so I haven't used it much.
any tips?
ted

Spinner
08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
swimming x 3 weekly, weights x 3 weekly, Harp beer x 10 weekly (that's one reason why i do the other stuff)

jvp
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
bouldering...outside fall/winter/spring, inside all summer...

rumbling bald, n.c. a few years ago - w/ some artsy photoshop color editing added -

http://www.0friction.com/pix_33/zero_friction_pic_4492.jpg

znfdl
08-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Any good source of info on technique, or is that something you have to learn in person/from a coach? There is a rowing machine at the small gym that I go too and I would like to use it when I can't be on the bike, but I've never known exactly what I was doing with it so I haven't used it much.
any tips?
ted

http://fitness.hownd.com/product-906-concept2-oarsome-foursome-guide-to-fitness-dvd.html

Ti Designs
08-19-2008, 10:25 AM
You want the whole list???

Cycling is a constant in my life, if I'm not riding I'm no fun to be around (sometimes even if I'm riding - topic for another post)

Besides running there are a zillion other activities I dabble in. Rock climbing has been one I've gotten into and out of a number of times. I have hand holds bolted to the rafters in my basement - can get from one side of my shop to the other without touching the floor. I can't stand the "normal climbing scene", it's like doing organized century rides all the time - boaring. We scope out new (and stupid) places to climb. Last year we found a section of Rt 3 being put in where they blasted away a wall of rock that made for a serious traverse. The #3 cam fits perfectly into the blasting holes left, so two climbers and a half length of rope could spend all day (or until the police showed up).

With the rain we've been having there have been some good days for what we call urban white water yacking. That's where you set up above the drainage pipe which is a trickle most of the time, but after a hard storm is flowing class 4 white water. Then you push off the dirt, drop right into the flow, paddle like your life depends on it, pull back hard and try to keep your mouth closed...

Yoga. Yeh, didn't sound like much of a sport to me either. I'm getting this yoga instructor into cycling and she's kicking my a$$ in the yoga studio. They really need to get the A/C fixed in there, it was over 100 degrees the last time I went.

Performance driving. If you've done a few autocrosses, the most technical crit seems tame. I hurt less after a 100 mile ride than I do after 4 runs in my race car, and I think my heart rate is higher too.

Piano. That's right, the box with keys. I can sit on my piano bench and play music I know all day long, but it's gotten boaring. I raised one of my keyboards up, ditched the bench, get the left hand going on a basic blues baseline and just start adding to it. What seemed impossible to play just a few weeks ago now has me asking what else I can throw in.

William
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Well let's see...besides cycling, rowing, lifting, martial arts, and long walks on the beach....I also work on practicing plyometrics in my back yard.

http://www.shaveblog.com/uploaded_images/peter_flies2_adj_680h-735483.jpg

William :D

RThompson
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Once winter comes around, I like to Alpine Tour or telemark.
Have you ever noticed that a runner never has a smile on their face?

fiamme red
08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
boaringNow that's a great workout! ;)

http://www.logoi.com/notes/img/india_boar_hunt.jpg

Ozz
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I hear ya....(two boys, 4 and 7).....soccer season practices start tonight for older son!

scrooge
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Another rower here. But only in the winter.
I start out the summer with good intentions of keeping it up a couple of times a week, but I can't seem to make myself sit in the basement/on the erg if there's not a foot and a half of snow outside.
And in general, I"m not a jack of all trades kind of guy. It seems like every six months/year I think I'm going to throw running in the mix, but it never takes. I ski downhill in the winter now that I live in CO, when I lived in MI I did X-country. Oh, and the wifey and I are planning to do a little more snowshoeing this winter (now that there's a child in the mix and downhill skiing is cost/time prohibative)