PDA

View Full Version : Selle SMP

link
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
This is just a review for the sake of archival ...I'm not trying to recruit believers.

Background:
Chiro/training coach has been suggesting that I adopt more of a natural curvature in my lower lumbar for better engagement of the hams and gluts. It's a very small adjustment ...tiny little movement. It means dropping my perineum down against the saddle more. I don't have any particular saddle problems. I can usually ride most any saddle for most any distance the remaining parts of my body can endure.

experiment:
SMP rep offered to loan me a carbon saddle for a couple of weeks. I rode a ~500 miles in 4 days a couple of weeks ago on a short CO road tour while my father in law towed the RV, fished and made my coffee in the morning. I like touring like that.

I mounted the funky looking saddle and dialed in the position as instructed ...about even pressure on the rear and front of my seated body parts, KOPS and off I go.

Results:
I really liked the saddle ...a lot. There's no perineum pressure at all even if I slide forward (that would applicable for mtb.) It cups more of my seated body parts than other saddles. It allows a comfortable seated position while my lower lumbar takes more of a natural curve.

Of note:
I might need to go from an offset seatpost to a staight post becase of the saddle rail position.

There you have it. I'm going to buy two. One for my road and one for my mtb.