PDA

View Full Version : 2008 D2R2 Roll Call

witcombusa
08-18-2008, 08:35 AM
How many of you Forumite's are riding
this Saturday :beer:

100k painful or 170k brutal?

Weather looks like it will be great (as of now)
80 and mostly sunny

I'm on my 80's white Bianchi cross bike
doing the 100k for the 4th year ;)

Elmer
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm in for the 170K on my full rigid Gunnar Rock Hound sporting Hutchinson slicks.

This is my third time doing the 170K after the first year doing the 100K.

How bad can it be after last year right?

BumbleBeeDave
08-18-2008, 08:40 AM
. . . and, to quote Han Solo, "I have a very bad feeling about this." . . . :eek:

BBD

witcombusa
08-18-2008, 08:51 AM
. . . and, to quote Han Solo, "I have a very bad feeling about this." . . . :eek:

BBD

Remember...That which does not kill you, makes you strong :rolleyes:

dauwhe
08-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I'll be there; not sure what I'll be riding as I have to go to a memorial service at 2PM. Might show up for the 170k start and then ride the 100k, or do some sort of mashup.

Went out yesterday evening for some recon and bike testing. There are quite a few potholes in Green River Road!

Bike will be Riv Romulus w/Pasela 37mm tires.

Dave

Kevan
08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm droppin' out on this one. The excuses are pitiful, but I promise I'll return.

Have fun!

Peter P.
08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm in, riding with Elmer on the 170km.

While prepping my Salsa Ala Carte for the ride, I discovered it's cracking at the downtube/headtube junction. I'm hoping it'll last the day.

What could possibly go wrong?!

rwsaunders
08-18-2008, 08:44 PM

While prepping my Salsa Ala Carte for the ride, I discovered it's cracking at the downtube/headtube junction. I'm hoping it'll last the day.

Duct tape and a dollar bill around the tube....or was that the inner tube? :cool:

witcombusa
08-19-2008, 04:57 AM

Peter,

I know what you'll be thinking about on a couple of those "rather rocky technical decents" :rolleyes:

You're a braver man than I....but there is that complementary pint waiting for you at the finish :beer:

Best of luck to you and Elmer

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm droppin' out on this one. The excuses are pitiful, but I promise I'll return.

Have fun!

You're FLAKING OUT?!?!

Who am I going to draft? Who's going to keep me from getting lost?

WHAT WOULD SANDY SAY?!?!

:crap: :crap: :crap:

BBD

Bruce K
08-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Thank goodness? :rolleyes:

Oh, you mean the question was rhetorical? :D

Dave et al, have a great ride.

I'll be on The Blazing Saddles Century.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
. . . where exactly they are starting the ride? Is it just at a point along rt. 5 in Deerfield? I don't see anything on the Land Trust page or the Bikereg page on directions to the site. I can certainly get to Deerfield, but I don't want to be driving around on side roads for half and hour looking for the actual parking and start line.

BBD

dauwhe
08-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Directions to the start: From the South: Take I-91 North to exit24, Rte. 5/10 North to Mill Village Rd. Follow Mill Village Rd. to D2R2 / Farm Festival.

From the North: Take I-91 South to exit 24, Rte. 5/10 North to Mill Village Rd. Follow Mill Village Rd. to D2R2 / Farm Festival.

(from the New Horizons Bikes web site).

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Directions to the start: From the South: Take I-91 North to exit24, Rte. 5/10 North to Mill Village Rd. Follow Mill Village Rd. to D2R2 / Farm Festival.

From the North: Take I-91 South to exit 24, Rte. 5/10 North to Mill Village Rd. Follow Mill Village Rd. to D2R2 / Farm Festival.

(from the New Horizons Bikes web site).

Dave

Thank you sir!

Shall I wear the Full Zebra Suit? :eek:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2008, 10:38 AM
. . . from what I assume is the event organizer. Very considerate of him! It's 3 pages. The cues seem well written. If you're riding the 100k and by chance did not get this, PM me and I can e-mail the file to you.

BBD

dauwhe
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Thank you sir!

Shall I wear the Full Zebra Suit? :eek:

BBD

Absolutely not. Yellow and Black is the way to go:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/babes/babes08/dundees.jpg

Dave

skijoring
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.newhorizonsbikes.com/for/d2r2100k

witcombusa
08-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Peter,

I can't imagine that Hawk's road will do this crack any good... :no:

How's your insurance plan? ;)

Peter P.
08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Peter,

I can't imagine that Hawk's road will do this crack any good... :no:

How's your insurance plan? ;)

I rode it a couple times this week in rough terrain to see if the crack would propogate. It did not. I plan on inspecting it at the check points, if it doesn't break before any of them. I'm definitely worried about the rough sections accelerating its demise. I'm bringing a full roll of duct tape (no joke) in case I have to strap it together. Good thing Hawk's Road is the last rough section, near the end, and it's all flat to downhill from there. This will definitely make it an adventure. If you see me, stop me and ask to see "my crack"; I promise to not slap you!

BumbleBeeDave
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
. . . just do the Christian thing and, uh, turn the other cheek! ;)

BBD

witcombusa
08-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Looks to be a BIG improvement over last year (and what wouldn't be!)

Sat
Aug 23 Partly Cloudy, 83° High/62° Low, 10 % chance of rain

witcombusa
08-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Well D2R2 2008 is now but a memory....
It was a great ride and the weather was just perfect :beer:

Let's hear some feedback from some of you that rode :D

dauwhe
08-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Indeed, a wonderful day. I had to be at a memorial service at 2PM, and so I rode the 100k, but started at 6:30 AM. So I rode alone the whole day, but was the first person on the course. It made for quite a peaceful and pleasurable ride. I had to stop once to let a herd of sheep cross the road, and a few miles later I had to do the same thing for a flock of turkeys. I have to admit the 100k was more fun than the long ride--I had the energy to enjoy the scenery and the setting, even towards the end of the ride!

I just love the open country on top of the high ridges...

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
. . . especially for Kevan, who flaked out--er, could not go with us this year . . .

OWWWW!!!!

5:21 ride time for me, but over 6 hours out on the road for the 60 mile ride because I stopped to take lots of photos. I just won't be able to post them for a while because I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow. Thank GOD I get to sit down in the car all day tomorrow!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2008, 08:49 PM
The bagpiper . . . I rode up his driveway so I could get a pic of him playing with bikes going by in the background. When I rode up behind him he jumped, turned around and barked, "Don't startle me like that! You could get shot!"

Seeing e-richie . . . I've just left the first checkpoint and he and several other guys ride in from a side road not on the route and he yells, "Dave! DON'T go that way!" . . . apparently he did and it was the wrong way and he and his buds went quite a ways off course.

TooTall . . . walking up behind me in the parking area and trying to "pants" me while I was frantically trying to get ready. Didn't work. Somebody really needs to have a talk with him :rolleyes: . . . during the e-richie incident described above I asked him where TooTall was and he replied, "He's probably in F***in' CANADA by now!"

Morning drive over . . . My Mazdaspeed is fun, fun, FUN to drive fast on Rt. 2 at 7am!

Second checkpoint . . . by the covered bridge. Really nice spot!

Final descent . . . into town. I had fantasies about an easy run-in to town. Wrong! . . . the cue sheet said it was "gnarly." It was right.

BBD

witcombusa
08-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Peter P.

How did the frame hold up? How was your ride?