PDA

View Full Version : Car that fits bikes?

athenasoar
08-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a car that can transport two bikes internally. It's ok if back seats need to be folded down or taken out. Ideally, it would be something that gets decent gas mileage (around or better than 20 mpg) and isn't too big. Any one know what's out there? Thanks, Charlotte.

eddief
08-17-2008, 10:23 PM
the 2009 version is supposed to be even better in many ways...as I have read:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=122688/pageNumber=1#1

Ray's point of view:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=41763&page=2&pp=15&highlight=honda+fit

Louis
08-17-2008, 10:30 PM
One of Ray's pictures of his Honda Fit:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/ramboorider/IMG_0179.jpg

athenasoar
08-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow. The Fit is really impressive. I was looking at the CR-V... I'm guessing that if the Fit has room for two, the CR-V probably does as well?

Ray
08-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Wow. The Fit is really impressive. I was looking at the CR-V... I'm guessing that if the Fit has room for two, the CR-V probably does as well?
I'd imagine the CRV does. The Element DEFINITELY does and is made for hauling dirty outdoorsy stuff. Lots of plastic that I think can just be hosed off. But both of those cars are small SUVs and neither gets the gas mileage of the Fit. And neither will fit in the tight urban spaces the Fit will. It just depends on what you're looking for. I think when you get to the size of the CRV or Element, there are lots of cars that will fit a couple of bikes pretty easily, although I'd still recommend a Honda - I've just had waaaaaay too much good luck with them over the years.

For a sub-compact like the Fit, though, I haven't seen another one that will do what it does. The new one may be worth waiting for, but the gas mileage numbers haven't come out yet I don't think, so I don't know if Honda's usual "bigger and better" improvements will come at a price in terms of mileage. Mine is an automatic and gets about 30 in town and closer to 35 on the highway. Not Prius numbers, but far better than the CRV or Element, which I think are about 10 mpg lower both in town and highway. My niece just bought a Fit also (another orange one, what a weird family!) and the dealer told her the new ones would probably be about $1500 more. And she paid about $1500 more than I did in January because they've gotten so popular that dealers are now charging more than $1000 over msrp. I got a few hundred under msrp around New Years. So its hard to say whether it'd be better to wait or go for a 2008.

Good luck,

-Ray

Climb01742
08-18-2008, 05:52 AM
two people where i work have gotten fits in the last two months. and both folks absolutely love them. one does dog rescue and one has 4 kids, and both say that the fit has truly surprising room inside. both also say that even with the great MPG, the fit has nice zip. two big thumbs up.

frenk
08-18-2008, 05:57 AM
We have a Golf 1.9 TDI and it's super nice.
With back seats folded I already put two MTB and a road bike, plus our stuff for a week of vacation (2 people).

palincss
08-18-2008, 06:37 AM

sc53 had a CR-V at the Ramble that held two bicycles oriented almost exactly as Ray has them in the Fit in the photo posted above. She said the size of the frame was a limiting factor, and maybe a 59-60cm frame might not fit as she had the vehicle configured.

victoryfactory
08-18-2008, 07:37 AM
I just got an '09 Subaru Forester So far it is a great car (4K miles)
The new design is much larger in the back and fits my
bike whole without removing front wheel (about 68" floor)
25 mpg on highway, 22 combined city/hwy so far (turbo)

VF

Birddog
08-18-2008, 08:25 AM
VF, now you need to add some Cobb Tuning accessories to really make it hum.

Birddog

victoryfactory
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah;
Knowing me, I'll probably get to that eventually.
I'm just a few $ away from a real rally machine.

VF

sc53
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, like Steve said I can put both my bikes in my new 2008 CRV on a fork mount board just like Ray shows in his Fit--but unless you remove rather than fold up the rear seats the max TT length that will fit in a CRV is about 53 cm. With the rear seats removed you will have at least 2 ft extra space front to back, though. Mileage up to the Ramble from northern VA averaged 27-28 mpg. Around town mileage in the CRV is no better than 16. My CRV is AWD though; 2WD may do better.
The CRV is a really nice car! it may suit your purposes if you are looking for a bigger vehicle than the Fit yet still hope to get decent mileage.

Z3c
08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I have had my Honda Element for almost a year and truly enjoy it. I simply roll a road bike in with both wheels on and wedge the rear wheel between the seat and the console and off I go. With a homemade rack like you see in that Fit picture you can easily haul 2 bikes. With one, you still can have one of the two rear seats usable since they are split. Biggest downside to the element is that it only has 4 seats. The CRV does not have the interior height of either the Element or the Fit so it will not hold bikes inside as you saw in the Fit picture, not even close; I did a lot of measuring and testing. There is a new version of the Fit coming for '09 and it is supposed to be slightly larger, much improved and get even better mileage.

Good Luck,

Scott

Ray
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
There is a new version of the Fit coming for '09 and it is supposed to be slightly larger, much improved and get even better mileage.

Bigger and better is a given with new Honda models. Better gas mileage isn't. If the new Fit really does get better mileage, that's a very good reason to wait a couple of months. Or if you want something bigger and with 4wd, just buy an Element you're good to go.

-Ray

paulh
08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Anyone know anything about future Elements? Is it at the end of the cycle with no replacement planned? Those Fits sure look nice, though.

Ahneida Ride
08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
I fit a 64 Legend with post up right into a Honda Elephant.
Just tilt it a little on the way in and out.

mef
08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
i think most hatchback cars will accomodate 2 bikes. Choose the make & model you like best. I have a Mazda Speed 3 that i am very happy with and there is plenty of interior room in back with the seats down. Good luck!

gone
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
i think most hatchback cars will accomodate 2 bikes. Choose the make & model you like best.
I think this is probably true. I've got a Toyota Matrix and it will handle two bikes upright just as pictured with the Fit. A bonus is that it's got cargo grooves that make are easy to slide a fork mount into without having to attach them to a 2x4. A minor detail but convenient nevertheless.

I will say though that holding 2 bikes upright depends on the size of the bikes and how high your saddle is. With frames larger than about 60 cm and an 80 cm saddle height or thereabouts I have to remove the saddle to get them to go in upright.

I think the headliner in the Fit might be a little bit higher amidships than the Matrix so this might not be necessary on the Fit but I'm not certain.

christian
08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Mazda5 will fit two bikes standing up. Most (up to 58cm about) without removing the front wheel. Not as frugal as the Fit, but more miserly than an 'ment.

Blue Jays
08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Anyone have a convenient online source for the fork mounts themselves?
The piece of 2 x 4 can be sourced locally. ;)

mef
08-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Thule Low Riders. check google or LBS for best source.

Blue Jays
08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
/\/\ That's why I love this place. Thanks, mef!

Jack Brunk
08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
/\/\ That's why I love this place. Thanks, mef!
Check out Rocky Mounts. They make a great mount that locks as well. You can use them inside or mount to a truck bed. They come in all types of different styles. Pricey but worth every penny.

Don49
08-18-2008, 05:09 PM

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=3702&item=00-1616&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

If you bolt the fork mount to the side of a 2x4 rather than on top, the fork ends can sit several inches lower, almost touching the car's floor. This can make the difference in a taller bike fitting or not without having to lower the seat.

csm
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
the Element is supposed to be new in 09 but so far no word. there is a JDM that is rumored to be the replacement.
I traded my Element in about 6 wks ago for a subaru wrx sti. it doesn't take bikes like the honda but it runs twice as fast.

athenasoar
08-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow, everybody. Super helpful - everything from car to fork mount info. I think what it might end up coming down to is the test drive... Been a long time Honda fan, so I'll be trying out the Fit, CR-V, and Element for sure.

I currently have an Acura RSX Type S. Awesome car overall. Easily fits one bike, both wheels on, with a TT less than 57 cm or so. Looking to move to something with more vertical space so two bikes can exit unscathed ;) It'll be sad to get rid of it, esp since it's virtually new at 18,000 miles over almost 5 years...

dannyg1
08-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Ray,

Isn't this your Spectrum?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180276233296&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

Blue Jays
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM
If you bolt the fork mount to the side of a 2x4 rather than on top, the fork ends can sit several inches lower, almost touching the car's floor. This can make the difference in a taller bike fitting or not without having to lower the seat.Don49, excellent idea! The stability would still be present by virtue of the wood...so you're 100% correct precise position isn't critical. When millimeters count it's the way to go.

Jack Brunk, love the idea of being able to pass a stretchy tiedown through the center of the Rocky Mount hardware for added stability. Thanks for the heads-up on that company. It looks like I'm going to order those... :)

rphetteplace
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
the Element is supposed to be new in 09 but so far no word. there is a JDM that is rumored to be the replacement.
I traded my Element in about 6 wks ago for a subaru wrx sti. it doesn't take bikes like the honda but it runs twice as fast.

I had read that 09 was to be the last year for the Element.

FYI the 09 STI will be 335hp ;)

velotel
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
or you could just wait until next year when, based on what I read once, Ford is going to start importing the Tourneo Connect (don't ask, just what they call it in Europe) which is a great rig. I can carry three riders and three bikes inside with all gear and still have room for a fourth passenger but without a bike. The front wheels need to be removed but that's all. I have yet to run across a bike that's too big, including the bike of a friend who is 6ft 5 or 6. I've got the diesel motor and have no idea what they'll offer in the states but with the diesel it regularly get 35 - 40 mpg. Once I even got better than that but I've forgotten exactly what the consumption was, something like 5,6 liters/100 km (the norm is around 6,8 liters). Anyway apparently Ford has decided that the european Fords, which sell quite well, might be able to save their financial butts in the states and one of the models they're going to export to the states is the Tourneo. It's small, easy to park, carries huge loads (that's why I run the diesel, great pulling power), is comfortable, etc. Best biker's car I've ever had.

I1anewbike
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
We have a 2007 Toyota Rav4 that works great. We can get our two bikes inside with rear wheels and saddles on. I bought 2 cheap fork mounts and screwed them to a piece of scrap lumber. It's a secure and stable hold that works for one bike or two. There is maybe 1 inch to spare above the saddle of my 58cm Trek, so might not work for a much bigger bike. We get 30mpg (4c base model).

csm
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I have 304 hp now. I can only imagine what another 30 would do. I will be looking again at the 2010 models.

iffyjoe
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a car that can transport two bikes internally. It's ok if back seats need to be folded down or taken out. Ideally, it would be something that gets decent gas mileage (around or better than 20 mpg) and isn't too big. Any one know what's out there? Thanks, Charlotte.
Have you thought of a Toyota Scion? Holds two bikes and the older models, 05 06 get into the high 30's mpg. New ones are much heavier.

Ray
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Ray,

Isn't this your Spectrum?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180276233296&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008
Nope. Mine are both ti, both are from this decade, both are compacts and still considerably larger than that one. One is green, the other unpainted. And, uhhh, neither is for sale!

-Ray

Dan Le foot
08-19-2008, 04:17 PM
We have the CRV. We carry our 2 road bikes inside and 2 mt bikes on top while travelling.
Dan

Vancouverdave
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Very impressive--those don't look like 48cm bikes, either.

Birch
08-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I'll throw down a vote for a Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I will admit that it doesn't get the mileage of some of the others that are listed but it's built like a tank and I fit two bikes standing up no problem in the back. I just mounted fork mounts to the back of the rear seats. I have to take out the seat post on my 61cm, but anything a 56 and under will fit as is.

mikki
08-24-2008, 12:21 AM
or you could just wait until next year when, based on what I read once, Ford is going to start importing the Tourneo Connect (don't ask, just what they call it in Europe) which is a great rig. I can carry three riders and three bikes inside with all gear and still have room for a fourth passenger but without a bike. The front wheels need to be removed but that's all. I have yet to run across a bike that's too big, including the bike of a friend who is 6ft 5 or 6. I've got the diesel motor and have no idea what they'll offer in the states but with the diesel it regularly get 35 - 40 mpg. Once I even got better than that but I've forgotten exactly what the consumption was, something like 5,6 liters/100 km (the norm is around 6,8 liters). Anyway apparently Ford has decided that the european Fords, which sell quite well, might be able to save their financial butts in the states and one of the models they're going to export to the states is the Tourneo. It's small, easy to park, carries huge loads (that's why I run the diesel, great pulling power), is comfortable, etc. Best biker's car I've ever had.

Pretty boxy looking IMO; they don't seem very aero-dynamic, but I would consider it with your recommendation. Looks like I could fit 2 bikes PLUS my portable massage table in there. Woohoo!! I wonder what the non-diesel version gets for mileage? As mentioned in previous threads, diesel gas still burns dirty and is much more expensive than regular gas over here. But if the non-diesel one is a close second in mileage...hmmmm.

pdmtong
08-24-2008, 02:04 AM
i mounted a 48" yakima bar to a 2x4 with pipe clamps. on the bar are the yakima fork mounts I've had from years past. although sitting taller, they can be slid left/right to accomodate the various bikes I've packed in ( 2001 suburban w/o 3rd row). alternatively I also use a thule T2

athenasoar
08-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Like the Scion xB? Thinkin about it...

Have you thought of a Toyota Scion? Holds two bikes and the older models, 05 06 get into the high 30's mpg. New ones are much heavier.

TimD
08-24-2008, 05:03 PM
My 2000 Acura TL holds my 63x61 Legend in the trunk with the wheels off - a very pleasant surprise. This body style lasted through the 2003 MY.

I think I could lay another large frame atop the first bike (with suitable padding, of course).

Obviously this is irrelvant if you are buying new.

By contrast the same frame will not fit in the trunk of the 2004-2008 TL.

Good luck -
Tim

Dude
08-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Another vote for the Honda Fit. I've had mine about 8000 miles and I had the same search criteria as you except mileage was a very high priority. There are a ton of cars that can hold bikes upright but only one that consistently gets 30+ mpg. Just yesterday my Fit had three bikes, three sets of wheels, 3 race bags and 3 people in it, everyone had a seat and seatbelt and no one had to hold anything in there lap. Plus, it gets 35 mpg. YOu can't beat that.

It's cheap, reliable and believe it or not, it handles really well and its fun to drive. I looked at the element, CRV, matrix, vibe, scions but the fit was the least expensive and the best mileage and it could hold just as much as all the others (except for the element).

Hope that helps, you will not be dissappointed.

Ray
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
As long as we're still talking about the Fit, I read some previews of the 2009 model recently. It sounds like the gas mileage will not suffer. It won't go up, but it'll be about the same as the current model despite about 8-10 more horsepower and a stiffer frame and smoother ride. Sounds like it will have a bit more room, but not enough to make a practical difference in terms of storing stuff. One nice thing is that the rear headrests collapse into the seats, so you don't have to take them out or move the front seats to drop the rear seats into the floor. This sounds like a minor detail, but its one thing I wouldn't mind having in mine. The price is going up about $600 at the base level, probably more as you move up the line.

I'd warned folks that it might not be smart to wait in terms of gas mileage, but it doesn't sound like there's a downside.

-Ray

Tobias
08-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd warned folks that it might not be smart to wait in terms of gas mileage, but it doesn't sound like there's a downside.

-RayI'd wait just on looks alone. The new model looks much better to me.

Although higher cost initially, being a new generation will improve long-term value.

christian
08-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I think the old one is much better looking. The new one is more flab, less Fit.

palincss
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Car and Driver's First Drive review of the 2009 Honda Fit:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/micro_machines/2009_honda_fit_first_drive_review OR http://tinyurl.com/59lta4

velotel
08-25-2008, 01:50 AM
I don't know anyone running a gas motor so can't tell you what the real world mileage is. Yea, it's boxy from the back especially but surprisingly aero at the front and all in all does rather well on fuel consumption regardless. For example when cruising on the autoroutes when I'm pressed for time, I'm at 130 kph (81 mph) and have still pulled down 6,8/100 (35 mpg) yet when I'm at my usual autoroute speed of 110 kph (68 mph), there's not much improvement in the fuel consumption. I've included a shot of the car with 3 bikes in back.

Tobias
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Pretty boxy looking IMO; they don't seem very aero-dynamic, but I would consider it with your recommendation. Looks like I could fit 2 bikes PLUS my portable massage table in there. Woohoo!! I wonder what the non-diesel version gets for mileage? As mentioned in previous threads, diesel gas still burns dirty and is much more expensive than regular gas over here. But if the non-diesel one is a close second in mileage...hmmmm.Dirty diesels are no longer allowed, they must meet newer clean standards. Typically diesels get about 30 percent better fuel mileage, in part because diesel fuel contains more energy per gallon than gasoline. That's why a gallon of diesel should cost more than a gallon of gas, we get more energy out of it.

Driving habits also make a big difference since diesels have a greater advantage at partial loads. THe slower we drive the better diesels do compare to gas. I would not expect a gas version to do as well as diesel.