PDA

View Full Version : Problem shifting

roadie7
08-17-2008, 04:54 AM
I changed to Chorus gearing about 6 months ago and really enjoy it. Yesterday, I was riding uphill and discovered I could not shift to the first and second cog. The lever moved but the chain didn't move to the cogs. Does anyone have an idea what happened and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

rePhil
08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I mean this in a nice way. If you need to ask you need to take it to a shop.

Dave
08-17-2008, 09:11 AM
There are lots of possibilities, but if you want to start learning mike mechanics, try www.parktool.com/repair. The bike map will lead you to the needed information.

You may need to readjust the low limit screw, if you can't get into the two largest cogs. Turn the backmost screw CCW 1/4 turn and see if it helps.

pdbrye
08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
You may have too much cable tension.

DfCas
08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
The first and second cog are the 2 smallest, the 11 and 12, or 12 and 13 or whatever. You said you were going uphill, so I assume you mean the 2 largest on the rear?

Please clarify the problem.

dan

SoCalSteve
08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
You may have too much cable tension.

Or not enough, especially if he meant the 2 largest cogs...Cables dont usually add tension to themselves, but they do need tension to be added to them after awhile...

Just sayin'

Steve

vqdriver
08-17-2008, 08:47 PM
check the cable guide under the bottom bracket and make sure the shift cable can move freely throughout its travel. shifter may have released some tension, but the spring in the r der. may not have been able to pull the cable thru the gunk/tape/road debris/small animal. if you don't see anything excessive, clean it and lube it anyway and try again.

more common than you think.