PDA

View Full Version : What was Mr. Calfee thinking ?

Blastinbob
10-23-2004, 05:02 PM
I would be afraid to put my life on the line on this one. It sure looks like there would be too much stress on the down tube.

gt6267a
10-23-2004, 08:35 PM
assuming it does not fall apart, i bet it is really comfy. the whole set of tubes down by the bb looks like it would act like a suspension. further, the tubes, especially the seat stays, might not be acting under compression so they might behave differently. looks interesting, though i agree, i'd like a few hundred other people riding this thing before i give it a try.

-k

Louis
10-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Structurally I think the chainstays are probably more of an issue on this one, especially torsionally. Aesthetically, I think the whole thing is an issue…

Louis

Birddog
10-23-2004, 09:08 PM
"Structurally I think the chainstays are probably more of an issue on this one, especially torsionally. Aesthetically, I think the whole thing is an issue…"

The rear end is very similar to a Softride, so I don't think it would be an issue. Aesthetically, you're rpobably right. Is this design a solution to a problem?

Birddog

M_A_Martin
10-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Hey! Its a Calfee Cruiser Bike!

LegendRider
10-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Craig Calfee has made odd bikes for Interbike in the past. Remember the bamboo Calfee?

csb
10-23-2004, 10:19 PM
at least its not a recumbent

dnovo
10-24-2004, 07:35 AM
a.) There is nothing 'wrong' with a recumbent. When my back is REALLY acting up, I'm out on one. And, when it comes to going very far and maintaining a consistently fast pace, anytime you'd like to see which is a better platform, a recumbent or a 'wedgie', let me know, I will be there on my Titanium EasyRacer Ti-Rush. b.) sometimes Craig has good ideas, but sometimes he, and others, just want to start from the 'time to do something completely different' just to be 'completely different.' Don't know if this concept works, but is sure is UGULLLLY. ("I don't know if they frighten the enemy, but they surely frighten me.") Dave N.

Bill Bove
10-24-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't think I'd buy one though, I'm more of a traditionalist. Would it look better if it said SEROTTA on the down tube? I mean after all the H.C. is pretty goofy looking but those who ride them love, love them.

BumbleBeeDave
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
. . . but I share the concerns about the integrity of the seat tube.

BBDave

Birddog
10-24-2004, 06:00 PM
" but I share the concerns about the integrity of the seat tube."

Why BBD? it's still part of a triangle. nothing lost there as far as I can see.

Birddog

BumbleBeeDave
10-24-2004, 07:34 PM
. . . I’d feel a lot more comfortable about riding this thing if that gusset between the top and seat tubes was about twice as big!

BBDave

Too Tall
10-25-2004, 05:40 AM
CSB started it!

One fake word comes to mind: Fuggly

Is this a case of building something to talk about.

William
10-25-2004, 05:43 AM
at least its not a recumbent

It will be if I sit on it. :D

William

dnovo
10-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Fuggly? I love that, Too Tall, a new one for me to use. I intend to plagarize freely. Thanks. Dave N.

William
10-25-2004, 06:18 AM
F-word/ugly=Fuggly

At least that's how we used it. That was also the name of our base ball (really beer ball) team back in the day.

William :)

csb
10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
i think its pretty sexy looking.

dave, you may ride your recumbent (or should i say
recumbentS if you are consistent in your collecting)
and i will NOT volley derogatory words in your direction,
my original remark was for freddy aka interloperwithloosenut.

regardez

oracle
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
that is hands down, the ugliest, fuggliest bicycle that i have ever laid eyes upon. like a poor, unfortunate child with a really atrocious dna inheritance.

BumbleBeeDave
10-25-2004, 06:41 PM
. . . I have seen more than a few dual-suspension mountain bikes with almost this exact frame design--but with the rear shock down there in the area between the seat tube and down tube.

Thinking more about it now, I would not be as worried about the seat tube/top tube gusset on this bike as I would be about the lateral force transferred to the downtube from the rear through those, uh, stays. (Well, I don’t feel like I can call them “seatstays” because they are not attached to the seat!)

On a mountain bike, the shock absorbs the lateral forces, but on this bike you would be depending on the carbon to absorb a big hit of the kind you would get going over an unexpected buckled pavement seam, pothole, etc.

I think the whole thing would not take many hits like that before it would fold up right there where those lower stays meet the downtube--or right where they pass on either side of the seat tube if they are somehow bonded there.

BBDave . . . . “I’m not an engineer. I just play one on the Serotta Forum.”

Dekonick
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
The Hors Categorie ugly? Perhaps... but oohhhhh sooooo comfy :D

Kane
10-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Calfee's Bamboo bike was by far the best looking bike that I have ever seen. This bike, sad to say, looks like Billie Bob after Angela said, "No Mas"