PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross

RThompson
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I am interested in getting into cyclocross, and I wanted to tap into the forum's collective wisdom to pick a bike. I have no experience with cyclocross, and am looking for some advice/leads. I am looking at the Felts, Ridleys and Treks. Any recommendations?
thanks in advance

BeareJoe
08-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I would rate the Ridleys as the best of the group you cite. I would recommend the aluminum ones as opposed to the carbon ones unless you are very competitive and want to throw alot of coin around. I would also suspect the specialized tricross is nice as well. As always, fit is most important. Good luck, looking forward to seeing other forum members' thoughts.

Chris
08-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm in the same boat and just went through this exhaustive process. I would throw brand out the window. You are looking for two very important things and they vary across brands dramatically. You need to be concerned with reach and drop. Essentially, top-tube length once you take seat angle into account and headtube length. My problem was finding the right combination of the two. I don't want a lot of spacers other than what is needed to raise the bars up some from my road position and to take into account the cable hanger. There were a ton of bikes with the right toptube length but very short headtubes. Once I narrowed it down to what fit, the choice was a lot easier.

WadePatton
08-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I would rate the Ridleys as the best of the group you cite. I would recommend the aluminum ones as opposed to the carbon ones unless you are very competitive and want to throw alot of coin around.
...uh, and some very competitive folks ride steel (gasp). ;)

Methinks, get something that fits well enough and race a couple of seasons--work on technique and a collection of wheelsets--then try to find the utmostest 'cross ride.

And "throwing brand out the window" is a great idea...especially until you know exactly what you're looking for. Need should arise from application. :D

BeareJoe
08-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry, totally agree with the steel comment. I just mentioned aluminum as a recommendation if you like the Ridley's. CHRIS - What kind of bike did you end up getting? I have a similar problem where I have long legs and comparatively short torso so I'm constantly fighting the steerer tube spacer issue.

Chris
08-14-2008, 03:05 PM
The frames that I looked at that were a little taller relative to top tube length were Ridley (I ride a 59 road bike and would have ridden a 56 Ridley), Van Dessell, and Orbea. The shop I use is an Orbea dealer, so I went with an Orbea Lobular aluminum frame. Should be in later in the week. I'm excited.

Johny
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Great deal here from Mr. Jerk:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493

I already got a great Moots PSYCHLO-X from Mr. Jack Brunk. Otherwise, I will jump on one of these from Jerk.

shinomaster
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Get what fits, and has a nice ride and nice parts. What could be simpler? Also... for the money Redline frames are highly regarded, as are Ridley.

Jack Brunk
08-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Great deal here from Mr. Jerk:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493

I already got a great Moots PSYCHLO-X from Mr. Jack Brunk. Otherwise, I will jump on one of these from Jerk.
Johny is the MAN! That Moots rocks.

Jack Brunk
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I think Shino should quit his job and just do/teach cross. There's enough people out there to make a living at cross. You may need to give up pottery. By the way what is Cyclocross?

shinomaster
08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I think Shino should quit his job and just do/teach cross. There's enough people out there to make a living at cross. You may need to give up pottery. By the way what is Cyclocross?

Thanks pal! I just need to win a big race first...maybe once I get my Zank. I need more street cred. :beer:

Jack Brunk
08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks pal! I just need to win a big race first...maybe once I get my Zank. I need more street cred. :beer:
I think you can advertise on the web as an expert(which I know you are) and make a killing. I'm doing a 60 mile epic mountain bike race this Saturday. Is this close to Cross? if not then you guys are super human.

shinomaster
08-15-2008, 12:00 AM
YOU are a stud. Cross races are only 45 minutes....then you can go out to breakfast and drink a pint a ale. :)

Jack Brunk
08-15-2008, 12:09 AM
YOU are a stud. Cross races are only 45 minutes....then you can go out to breakfast and drink a pint a ale. :)
No your the stud. It takes me 5-6 hours to get off. You get to get off in less than an hour. You get the super model and I get the left overs. Thats ok because I'm older than you and I've had some really good super stuff.

Your the man and I'm pulling for you in PDX.

shinomaster
08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
No your the stud. It takes me 5-6 hours to get off. You get to get off in less than an hour. You get the super model and I get the left overs. Thats ok because I'm older than you and I've had some really good super stuff.

Your the man and I'm pulling for you in PDX.

Thanks partner! It aint' over till it's over! :beer: