PDA

View Full Version : Single Bolt Ti Stem Issue

rockdude
08-14-2008, 09:45 AM
This stem was on a bike I bought. I decided to move it to my current bike but when I took it off the bars it was currently on, it marked the bars pretty bad. It was very hard to get around the bends of the bar. Since I didn't want to markup my nice carbon bars, I just moved it to my single speed. I would still like it on my Serotta so how do you get this stem on a bar without scratching it all up? Do you just take a screw driver and pry the top and bottom apart?

sspielman
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Take the bolt out...insert a dime in the opening so as to block the hole..thread the bolt in from the bottom and tighten it down until it opens the space wide enough to insert the bars freely without scratching....

*some new bars have bends that are so whacky that they are essentially incompatible with anything but an open faced stem.

dave thompson
08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
This stem was on a bike I bought. I decided to move it to my current bike but when I took it off the bars it was currently on, it marked the bars pretty bad. It was very hard to get around the bends of the bar. Since I didn't want to markup my nice carbon bars, I just moved it to my single speed. I would still like it on my Serotta so how do you get this stem on a bar without scratching it all up? Do you just take a screw driver and pry the top and bottom apart?
You do that and you will surely mark up your bars.

If the threaded hole on the bottom part of the stem goes all the way through (not a blind hole) you can thread the stem bolt from the bottom while inserting a washer into the seam to block the bolt, which will push the top and bottom apart. You shouldn't spread the stem too much or you may wind up with other problems.

If the bars you are trying to install are ergos, you may not be able to put them on without scratching them. Ergo bars sharp bends don't like single bolt stems. Don't ask me how I know.

rockdude
08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks, I will give it a go...

PaulE
08-15-2008, 08:29 PM
is probably no good any more, better send it to me for a long-term evaluation. Just kidding, do whatwhat Sspielman and Dave Thompson recommend.