PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Question

dlayne
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I just bought my son a used Atlanta with Shimano 600 componets. Not sure how old it is, but it's in good shape and is a really sweet ride. Had to try it out myself.

I was curious when this model was in production and if any could give me any details about the Atlanta series.

Thanks.

dave thompson
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I've had 2 Atlantas and consider them very good bikes. They were second in the steel hierarchy from Serotta, with the CSi considered top of the Serotta steel bikes. Serotta said of them that they were 85% of the CSi with 65% of the cost. In 2000, the last year of Atlanta production, the frame had a MSRP of $1175.

dlayne
08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks

FL_MarkD
08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
I also picked up an 'old' Atlanta earlier this year. Mine is a 1998 model with Ultegra components. New tires/tubes, seat and bar tape and it was ready to go. I really like the bike and hope to put a lot of miles on it before I buy my next bike, hopefully another Serotta!

If you look under the bottom bracket you will see a stamping that will help identify the year. Mine shows 'AS 54 2076'. Atlanta Serotta, 54cm, number 2076 made of the Atlanta line. I believe that 2076 means of all the Atlanta frames produced. The local store that sold the bike when new did confirm it was sold in 1998. That might help you estimate your bike's year.

Mark

victoryfactory
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
The Atlanta differences from the top of the line CSI:

slightly less fancy lugs
slightly Different tubeset (TT not swaged)
Very slightly heavier (A few grams at most)

The story I heard was that the Atlanta was build originally for an
Olympic team (Ukraine?) to ride at the Atlanta games.

"Legend" also has it that Pascal Richard (SWI) won the Olympic road race gold on a
Serotta that year, also pretty cool

VF

slowgoing
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
If you look under the bottom bracket you will see a stamping that will help identify the year. Mine shows 'AS 54 2076'.

That's pretty close to mine, which is AS 54 2074. It's a keeper.

harlond
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
The story I heard was that the Atlanta was build originally for an Olympic team (Ukraine?) to ride at the Atlanta games.
VFI don't know what Ukraine rode in the Olympics, but I have what was called an Atlanta Concept that was ridden by Vitaly Verevko for the Ukrainian national team in the 1995 Tour duPont. It's been slumming with me for years, and I love it.

dlayne
08-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Bottom bracket reveals that our is #918. Thanks for everyone's input.

I've also been able to find out it was originally sold sometime in 1997.