PDA

View Full Version : Olympics trivia

fiamme red
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Which sport does not allow professionals to compete in the Olympics?

Ozz
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
boxing?

fiamme red
08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
boxing?Correct, sir.

It's interesting that among the many differences between Olympic and professional boxing, knockdowns don't count for anything in Olympic scoring. It's much more of a technical sport, and less of a power sport.

Elefantino
08-13-2008, 08:16 PM
You mean ... there is professional SYNCHRONIZED DIVING?

ClutchCargo
08-14-2008, 07:32 AM
You mean ... there is professional SYNCHRONIZED DIVING?

LOL!

I was going to say the same about rhythmic dancing, but then reconsidered,
as I've seen some pretty professional "rhythmic" dancers in my time. I don't
understand, though, if they let them use props like a ribbon, a ball and a hula
hoop, why don't they let them use a pole ??? Crazy olympic officials!

;) :banana: :beer:

bzbvh5
08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't think most of the swimmers have a swimming income for competing, although Phelps made $5 million in endorsements this past year. Nastia Liukin does several endorsements and has been in a movie. If you belong to the U.S. team, do you become a professional when you cash that US Olympic Committee $25,000 check for winning a gold medal?

Where I work, we had a track cycling team? I don't work in the cycling industry. One of our employees won an Olympic gold medal in cycling? He got paid to ride his bike, not to do whatever everyone else does. Was he a professional cyclist?

I'm not critical. Thirty years ago, it was hard to go up against the eastern block amateurs who were "in the army". I don't think it is possible to have a job and do the training necessary to compete in any sprot at the highest level. I'm glad the IOC just admitted that most of them are professionals anyway, so let's just get on with it.

GuyGadois
08-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Baseball and boxing are the two amateur only sports.

fiamme red
08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Baseball and boxing are the two amateur only sports.Not baseball. Most of the U.S. baseball players are professionals in the minor leagues (Triple-A level, in most cases).

GuyGadois
08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Not baseball. Most of the U.S. baseball players are professionals in the minor leagues (Triple-A level, in most cases).

You are going to have to update Wikipedia then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games

"As of 2004, the only sports in which no professionals compete is boxing and baseball (though even this requires a definition of amateurism based on fight rules rather than on payment, as some boxers receive cash prizes from their National Olympic Committees); in men's football (soccer), the number of players over 23 years of age is limited to three per team."