PDA

View Full Version : Farther Or Faster

george
10-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Do you like distance (farther) or speed (faster)? Me, of course I like them both but if I had to pick one... I like farther because I see more and take in more I do like faster but I am not the super aggresive type that thrills from fast rides I do like to put in a couple of sprints during my farther rides!

Ozz
10-22-2004, 11:08 AM
give me the hills!

William
10-22-2004, 11:08 AM
I really have no preference, I like both. But a good rule of thumb for me is: The larger my riding window is for a given day, the more likely I am to concentrate on distance. The shorter the window, the harder/faster I will go. Either way, I enjoy being out on my bike.

William :)

weisan
10-22-2004, 01:09 PM
I like longer distance, more of an endurance rider. But in reality, my choice of ride for any single day is determined by only one restriction laid down by the BOSS...BE HOME BY NOON OR ELSE...! :no:

Too Tall
10-22-2004, 01:13 PM
To quote often heard refrain on the Hog farm BOFF-OFF-UM.

Ray
10-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Do you like distance (farther) or speed (faster)? Me, of course I like them both but if I had to pick one... I like farther because I see more and take in more I do like faster but I am not the super aggresive type that thrills from fast rides I do like to put in a couple of sprints during my farther rides!

I LIKE faster, but I seem to be more or less incapable of it. So that leaves farther as my best option. I love going out on a summer day, getting into a good rhythm, and just getting lost on the bike. On summer weekends, I usually get at least one ride of 60-80 miles in, with shorter rides after work during the week. On the shorter rides, I sometimes aim for faster, but I end going about the same speed as on the longer days, so speed has dropped off the radar in terms of "goals".

Which is not to say I don't go hard sometimes - I like to attack the hills sometimes and some days I'm just feeling it and I go harder for an entire ride. But I'm not riding competitively and generally don't track stuff like average speed, so speed is something that occasionly happens, but is pretty inconsequential. On just about any ride, there are times when I'm going hard, times when I'm going easy, and lots of time when I'm going medium. I do like to descend like a bit of a crazed maniac, but that's because its just pure FUN!

-Ray

dirtdigger88
10-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Faster (not that I am at all fast) "The Boss" (ie. Mrs Dirt) allows me a three hour window on my weekend rides. I have to just ride like hell in my limited time frame. During the summer months I ride in the morning before work, I only have 1:15 tops. There is no farther in my forcast.

Jason

CNY rider
10-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Of the riders I know, I am in general the slowest. In fact, nearly everyone who rides as much as I do is faster than me. So I tend to aim for more distance, and I am a fairly good climber too.

Andreu
10-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Distance in the cold then as spring approaches more speed.
Then in October extremely quick going to the fridge.
A :bike:

spiderman
10-22-2004, 05:16 PM
dictates the distance and speed issues for me as well...
the greater the time, the more i allow time to explore
a road i've always wanted to travel...
...getting lost on the bike, is a great feeling...
...wondering where the next black top
that will take me in the general direction i'm heading
is a blast!
tuesday i had a great churn and burn for 16 miles at noon
and another for 14 at the end of the day (rides at a 23-24 mph average)...
wednesday, i had 3 hours and meandered for 55 plus miles
at a more leisurely 20 mph average...
finding a road past some supertall windmills i've
watched go up from a distance but have never been past...

Ahneida Ride
10-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Have more fun .....

Lost Weekend
10-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Slower and shorter- It's a real biatch gettin old. :cool:

pbbob
10-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I like the long slow chase.

Jeff N.
10-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Farther. Jeff N.