PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts instead of a gym

roadie7
08-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Since I need to join a gym this winter, I was wondering if anyone has used martial arts to maintain their fitness during the winter instead of going to a gym. I've been going to gyms each winter and was looking for an alternative way to keep fit this winter.

Thanks.

William
08-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Since I need to join a gym this winter, I was wondering if anyone has used martial arts to maintain their fitness during the winter instead of going to a gym. I've been going to gyms each winter and was looking for an alternative way to keep fit this winter.

Thanks.

What better way to get in shape…and learn to take care of yourself at the same time?

If you’re looking for high level fitness as well as learning effective skills….without taking ten years to pick them up, Muay Thai (Thai boxing) is the way to go in my opinion. Brazilian Jujitsu and MMA classes are also going to place an emphasis on high levels of fitness as well. A lot will depend on what you’re looking to get out of it. What are your ultimate goals?

William

WadePatton
08-12-2008, 08:28 AM
For aerobic fitness, you'll want lots of sparring. Simple technique drills, forms, and exercises won't get your heart rate up. Sparring will. The safest folks to spar with are the most experienced--sure they'll hit you more, but they're better at hitting LIGHTLY.

Martial arts is generally good stuff, but a lot of it depends on the instructor and their experience and goals. Shop around.

David Kirk
08-12-2008, 08:44 AM
IMO you can't got wrong with this plan. Martial arts will build strength and endurance and timing and balance and confidence and etc........

Pick a dojo and instructor you feel comfortable with and give it a try. I studied for years and I was never so overall fit than when I did.

dave

93legendti
08-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Krav Maga

Michael Maddox
08-12-2008, 08:49 AM
+1 for Krav Maga, though finding a capable instructor can be difficult in some areas. Great, useful skills with little metaphysical nonsense and a comparatively short time to semi-competency. Still, a lifetime of effort if you want to work at it.

Fixed
08-12-2008, 08:49 AM
IMO you can't got wrong with this plan. Martial arts will build strength and endurance and timing and balance and confidence and etc........

Pick a dojo and instructor you feel comfortable with and give it a try. I studied for years and I was never so overall fit than when I did.

dave
dave did you train in tally .. you know paul smith ?
cheers

paczki
08-12-2008, 08:51 AM
I did Tai Chi for many years (which is very martial when you get into push hands and so on) and other kinds of kung fu, and the stance training translates pretty directly into cycling leg power.

tbushnel
08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Muay Thai (Thai boxing) is the way to go in my opinion.
William

That would be my thought too. I am no expert, but the training is intense (in a good way) and the skills are very usefull and not too difficult to pick up.

Ted.

old_school
08-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Pick a dojo and instructor you feel comfortable with ...

Key advice, in my book; perhaps more important than any particular style. If you have the options, visit a few dojos/schools watch a class, see who is teaching, talk with the sensei/instructor. Find a place that 'feels' right to your personal sensibilities; you will be much more likely to enjoy it more and stick with it longer - schools can vary greatly. Yes, and the physical / mental training flows nicely with cycling.

William
08-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Key advice, in my book; perhaps more important than any particular style. If you have the options, visit a few dojos/schools watch a class, see who is teaching, talk with the sensei/instructor. Find a place that 'feels' right to your personal sensibilities; you will be much more likely to enjoy it more and stick with it longer - schools can vary greatly. Yes, and the physical / mental training flows nicely with cycling.

Agreed. No matter what system a school teaches, you have to be comfortable and mesh with the instructor and their teachings to make it work for you.

William

luigi22
08-12-2008, 10:44 AM
+1 for Krav Maga, though finding a capable instructor can be difficult in some areas. Great, useful skills with little metaphysical nonsense and a comparatively short time to semi-competency. Still, a lifetime of effort if you want to work at it.

"with little metaphysical nonsense". guess that works for some as an approach to life.

Michael Maddox
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
"with little metaphysical nonsense". guess that works for some as an approach to life.

It does, as does the converse, apparently.

Bike Fett
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Another vote for Muay Thai

Dekonick
08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Style doesn't matter as much as dojo / instructor.

Find a good fit and get fit!

:)

I personally like the hard Japanese styles, but they take years to even begin to become competent. Akido would be my favorite (soft style) but takes even longer to master.

For fitness, wrestling. Nothing taxes you more than grappling...

Fixed
08-12-2008, 07:37 PM
j.k.a. or iska
imho
cheers

paczki
08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Dekonick

For fitness, wrestling. Nothing taxes you more than grappling...[/QUOTE]

Boxing. You really want to get in serious shape and are willing to suffer, go to a boxing gym.

WadePatton
08-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Did I say that?! cool.

Yeah, grappling or boxing-Methinks would be a better aerobic workout. But, to be fair, that depends a lot on the instructor.

Skipping rope--there's a good one and probably not as bad as running for lack of the heel strike. Boxing made me think of it. Get the ceramic bearings handles for the rope. :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for martial arts training-especially with a good instructor. I just think it's easy to let the stamina down without further training.

William
08-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Boxing. You really want to get in serious shape and are willing to suffer, go to a boxing gym.

Take that boxing training, add elbows, knees, clinch training with locks and throws, add the Thai round kick and you're going to be in some serious shape. That and the Filipino foot work training are what keep me in great cycling shape, even when I've been off the bike for a while.

William

PS: I'm not talking combatives here, the OP asked for MA training that would keep him in great shape in the off-season. Yes, the instructor matters, but so does the system. I've been doing this a lot of years and I've trained and been exposed to many different styles/systems. I still say (with a good instructor) Muay Thai hands down. IMO of course. :)

Dekonick
08-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Badass -

no doubt.

my shins hurt just thinking about it.

paczki
08-13-2008, 07:46 AM
That and the Filipino foot work training are what keep me in great cycling shape, even when I've been off the bike for a while.

No doubt. It also has the additional advantage of being pretty useful for self-defense.

This is a bit OT but I used to study with this guy:

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Master%20B%20P%20chan.html

He was an incredible badass, just incredible although barely five feet. He was also an extraordinary man. He always used to stress that the best use of martial arts was to avoid fighting and make the aggressor not notice that fighting had been avoided.

Fixed
08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.gichinfunakoshi.com/dojokun.htm

William
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
No doubt. It also has the additional advantage of being pretty useful for self-defense.

This is a bit OT but I used to study with this guy:

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Master%20B%20P%20chan.html

He was an incredible badass, just incredible although barely five feet. He was also an extraordinary man. He always used to stress that the best use of martial arts was to avoid fighting and make the aggressor not notice that fighting had been avoided.

Very true. I'm sure he is missed dearly.

William

andy mac
08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
i know a few olympic skiers that complimented their usual training with martial arts for added speed, strength and coordination.

:beer:

mikki
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I've just discovered the martial arts without choosing just one...T’ai Chi, Tae Kwon Do & Aikido are part of a fusion exercise called "Nia Dance". I went through their white belt training in July. Absolutely fantastic experience! (they also include Alexander Technique, Moshe Feldenkrais and Jazz, modern and Duncan Dance) It is more fun and joyful than anything else I have ever done and increased my balance and strength so much. When I got back on my bike after taking the white belt training, I had increased my average speed by 5 mph and I felt every aspect of my body while cycling, different from prior to the training and was able to keep my head & neck relaxed; something I hadn't done before. Amazing program.

Jack Brunk
08-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I've just discovered the martial arts without choosing just one...T’ai Chi, Tae Kwon Do & Aikido are part of a fusion exercise called "Nia Dance". I went through their white belt training in July. Absolutely fantastic experience! (they also include Alexander Technique, Moshe Feldenkrais and Jazz, modern and Duncan Dance) It is more fun and joyful than anything else I have ever done and increased my balance and strength so much. When I got back on my bike after taking the white belt training, I had increased my average speed by 5 mph and I felt every aspect of my body while cycling, different from prior to the training and was able to keep my head & neck relaxed; something I hadn't done before. Amazing program.
WOW!

What a cross training program that raises average speeds 5 mph. I've busted my butt trail running(9-10 minute mile) 30 mile weeks and 150 mile riding weeks and my increase is 3 mph on my top end speed and climbing at 30-50 watts higher than normal. Maybe I'm approaching my goals from the wrong angle.

Nikki,

Was it really 5mph or .5mph?

mikki
08-15-2008, 11:56 AM
WOW!

What a cross training program that raises average speeds 5 mph. I've busted my butt trail running(9-10 minute mile) 30 mile weeks and 150 mile riding weeks and my increase is 3 mph on my top end speed and climbing at 30-50 watts higher than normal. Maybe I'm approaching my goals from the wrong angle.

Nikki,

Was it really 5mph or .5mph?

Actually five miles per hour faster. I haven't had the opportunity to be back on my bike since then, so don't know if it was just something that occurs immediately after a week long intensive (8 hrs per day) or not. There are no classes here in South Orange County when I have the time; I have to travel into LA county to take one, so I suspect my body will start reverting to old habits quickly. One other difference on that ride was for the first time I wore a "SKINS" jersey and there was absolute no drag. My body was completely flexible and congruent rather than my neck and head being stiff. After that ride I realized how much of the time I had not been in the moment while riding, but thinking rather than experiencing/sensing. Somehow being simply present and in touch increased speed and made riding so much easier.

Here is a quote from something about this program:
"Sensing precisely how they feel during a workout is the best way for individuals to become their own best teacher and guide. The Nia® Technique The Five Sensations of Feeling Fitness offers a compelling overview of how and why learning to feel fitness as it happens gives exercisers the tools to realign, balance, and repattern the whole body to help them achieve optimal functioning and results. Among the topics covered: flexibility, agility, mobility, strength, stability, and sensations."

So my vote goes to the martial arts over a gym.