PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Resistance unit wattage question

Tom
10-22-2004, 09:26 AM
I have a two or three year old Performance trainer with their fluid resistance unit that doesn't have any adjustments to it other than how fast you make it spin. I sent an e-mail to Performance a week or so ago to find out if they have a graph of watts by speed. No answer.

Does anybody happen to have any such chart for anybody's fluid trainer? I know that some of them can send you through the ceiling with wattage, but I figured I could approximate halfway decently by looking at some other manufacturer's numbers.

I'm trying to do some more structured training over this winter into next year and I'd like to have some idea what I need to work on the most and at what intensities I ought to be going at it. Self-coaching with approximate data is better than no data at all, I'm thinking.

CarbonTi
10-22-2004, 11:28 AM
I've not seen wattage charts included as info supplied with bike-stand trainers. You can't estimate wattage without including the cadence rate into the calculation so a chart isn't that helpful.

You should consider adding a wattage measuring device in your training arsenal. For the high intensity workouts, its usefulness cannot be beat. PowerTaps have come down in price so rather than buying Cosmics, buy something that can actually make a difference in your speed. :) Then capitulate and later go back and buy the Cosmic Carbons. :) :)

The lower level intensity stuff is more suited to HRM measurement but doing that on a indoor trainer is "hard work" and unless there's icy roads, I'd rather brave the cold.

DfCas
10-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Kurt Kinetic and 1UPUSA.They both have charts up.The kurt is only on their own trainer but 1up list several,if memory serves me right.I doubt that they are accurate,but they should repeat themselves OK from session to session.

I find it much easier to ride 20mph on the road than on the Kurt Kinetic trainer.

Dan C.

Kevin
10-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Kurt has just come out with a power meter that can be used on any trainer. It only costs $49. Here is the link. http://www.kurtkinetic.com/power_computer.php

Kevin