PDA

View Full Version : hello san diego! mt soledad?

jimcav
08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
anyone local want to meet at mission bay and ride up to the soledad cross and back tomorrow or some weekend maybe??

jim

bigbill
08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Jim,
From my time in SD, I found the University Cycle (La Jolla) saturday and sunday morning rides to be a great way to figure out the local routes. The groups are large and vary by fitness level and distance so you can always find a group to ride with.

I will transfer to the Nimitz next year and will be a geobach for about a year.

jimcav
08-09-2008, 04:13 PM
my family misses poulsbo, but i love san diego. did fiesta island yesterday before checking in--my 1st real week starts monday.
i should get in shape fast--the ride if i go to IB is at least 25 miles, there is
always wind.
jim

paczki
08-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll be in La Jolla in February and I expect a ride!

bigbill
08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
my family misses poulsbo, but i love san diego. did fiesta island yesterday before checking in--my 1st real week starts monday.
i should get in shape fast--the ride if i go to IB is at least 25 miles, there is
always wind.
jim

Fiesta is a last resort ride. When I was there two years ago working on the Jeff City, I would ride at lunch from Point Loma to Fiesta Island and do 5-6 laps and ride back. That is about all I could take of the sandy windswept island.

Ride past the island through the park to the ballfields and pick up the bike path along the creek. Ride the path under Grand and Garnet then ride up the ramp to Mission Bay. Cross Mission Bay and ride up the road in front of IN and OUT Burger. Turn left on Santa Fe (good LBS to your right) and head towards Rose Canyon. You will pass Rose Canyon Cycles (say hi to Ron, he is a good guy to know) keep heading north to the Rose Canyon MUT. Ride it to the end and turn left on to Gilman. Climb towards UCSD, it is not a bad climb at all. If you turn on LaJolla Village, you will see U-cycle about two blocks later. You can ride through the campus and to Genesee. Going left on Genesee will take you past Torrey Pines and North up the coast.

I like to ride North and catch a tailwind home.